cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED ADVICE: USPS Mail Carrier lost 43 of my packages...

Yesterday I gave my regular USPS carrier 43 outgoing parcels.  He's my regular carrier and he's been on my route for the past sixth months...I've never had a problem with him before.  He's always been very friendly and I always take my boxes out to his van so he doesn't have to pick them up from the house.  

Fast forward to today.  When I checked on the tracking numbers for yesterday's shipments, I found that none of the 43 packages were scanned in as received by the carrier...so, I drove to the post office and talked to my carrier's supervisor.  She said that my carrier wasn't working today so she couldn't ask him what happened to the packages, but she did say that she remembers him bringing them into the building after his route was done late yesterday afternoon.  

The supervisor said that it could be that the carrier's scanner wasn't working correctly...but there hasn't been a single update to any of the 43 tracking numbers.  Typically they get scanned by the carrier, then again by the post office, and again when they get to the local sorting facility.  All three of those scans usually happen the same day I ship a package...but none of them have happened with any of these missing boxes.

I'm at a loss here.  I'm not sure what to do.  I don't want to blame my carrier, but it's his responsibility to scan the packages in as received and that wasn't done for any of the 43 boxes, which makes me very suspicious that he didn't scan any of them on purpose.  I really don't know what to do in this situation.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You already talked to the supervisor who knows of the packages. Now you wait and see what shakes out.

Sometimes the scanner is working but the upload is not functioning dues to ISP issues. Perhaps you should go to a scan sheet so the carrier only has to scan the sheet.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I feel ur pain. I'd just keep going till you can see the actual carrier who accepted them from you and ask him what happened. There's been no shortage of USPS problems where I'm at.  I refunded 6 items alone today because Dejoy is dead set on destroying the USPS. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I would give it a day or two. Something similar happened to me (not 43 but 6) and they did start tracking a few days later. 43 is a lot of packages to lose and would bet its a bad scanner or was not scanned.

You have already contacted the supervisor so just follow up with them in a day. (or your postal courier when he picks up again)

Good Luck

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Check with your carrier tomorrow or next time they're on duty to see if there's any additional info they can share (about their scanner or otherwise).

Check USPS.com again later to see if tracking shows up on any of the packages. Sign up for email updates on 1 or 2 of the tracking numbers. If nothing shows up for a couple days, ask the PO if they can check their internal system for tracking they might see that hasn't populated to public view for whatever reason. That happens sometimes.

Not much else you can do but wait it out. I feel your pain on this. I experienced a similar situation in the past.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I already thought of that.  I tried a scan sheet today with the fill-in carrier...it did not work.  The scanner kept getting an error message so he had to scan all of the boxes individually.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I already signed up for a couple of the email alerts.  That was one of the first things I did.  I'm hoping they have an update by tomorrow morning...that'd make my day a lot easier so I don't have to go back to the post office again.  

Thanks for the tip on the internal system.  I'll make sure to bring that up if I do end up going down there to speak with the supervisor again...although by now the packages should have already been to the local sorting distribution station.  The fact that there have been no updates to any of the tracking numbers in almost 36 hours is what has me worried.  By now all of the tracking numbers should have 3-4 scan updates on them.  

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

You need to call The USPS Postal inspector  department  and file case with them.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I think you're getting nervous and stressing over this way too early. 

Suggestions to call the postal inspector and file a case is a waste of your time and USPS resources. (Actually, it's not going to waste USPS money/time because at 24 hours post shipment, they won't do any "investigation" yet.) 

I've had many times when items don't show any scans until they're out for delivery or even when they get the delivery scan. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

They found them.  All 43 tracking numbers updated this morning.  * breathes a sigh of relief *

I hope this never happens again...  😅

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I'm relieved for you too. I remember how relieved I was when this happened to me with just 1 (kind of expensive) package, so multiply that by 43 and I just can't image the stress.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

i love a happy ending......

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Glad it worked out. That would be very stressful.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

My stuff never gets scanned at pickup (goes out with another companies huge daily shipments and the carrier just isn't hand scanning 500 packages), and I finally got used to not losing my mind when an entire day seemingly goes missing as that day always eventually shows up in tracking, although once it did take almost 3 weeks (which is why I am above standard right now instead of top rates).

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Did you use Ebay or USPS.com to check for scans?

You cannot rely on Ebay to be up to date. It can fail to be updated for days while USPS.com may be behaving properly.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply