cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mail vs First Class Mail - Advice needed

Hi, I sell CD's and have been sending them USPS first class.  It has worked out great, most get their CD within 3 days and I think that has worked to my advantage.  I used a flat shipping amount.  

With the new increases in first class especially with Zones, I calculated that most of mine will be in the 8 category which will be quite an increase for my buyers.

Now with media mail it will be cheaper for shipping for the buyer but of course the delay will be 10 days vs 3 days.   I can also offer both shipping media mail or first class on my listing and have the buyer make the choice.

As a buyer would you rather pay less and it take longer or would you rather pay more and get it within 3 to 4 days?

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Media Mail vs First Class Mail - Advice needed

The difference between the new rate for up to one pound via Media Mail ($2.75) versus the Zone 8 price for a First Class package up to 4 ounces ($3.09) is 34 cents.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

justforposting_1960
Thrill-Seeker

As a buyer, I would rather have the opportunity to make that decision myself.

Lisa (JustForPosting_1960) ~ This is my posting ID
******************************************************************************************
Before you assume, learn the facts. Before you judge, understand why.
Before you hurt someone, feel. Before you speak, think.
--Unknown
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Most CD's weigh 5 to 6 oz, so what would be the cost for zone 8?

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

2019 first class.gif

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I don't think there is much difference between 1st class mail and media mail. The delivery times are "Up to" but may be sooner.

For instance, I sell books. Not every month, but every now and again I will buy some for resale. I am I Wilmington NC about maybe 1.5 miles from the ocean - so far east coast...lol

2 books over 3 pounds shipped out on the 11th scanned in, arrived to the buyer in Auburn CA on the 14th.

1 book 1lb 8 oz shipped on the 11th is at the Oregon distribution center so still a day or two away.

Another book 1 pound shipped the 11th arrived to the buyer on the 14th in burke VA.

Another book 1lb 7oz shipped the 11th arrived to the buyer on the 14th in Meza AZ.

A CD Guitar box set about 3 plus pounds shipped on the 9th and arrived capac MI on the 11th

Another book 1lb 8oz shipped the 9th and arrived to the buyer on the 11th in TN.

Another book 1lb 8oz shipped on the 7th and arrived to the buyer Overland Park KS on the 9th.

Another book 1lb 8oz shipped on the 7th and arrived to the buyer in La Grange Park IL on the 11th.

Another book about 1lb shipped on the 4th and arrived to the buyer on the 7th in Manning SC

So... best I can tell you is that delivery via media mail will really depend upon volume and location. I have always assume that the closer you are to the hubs, the more efficient the mail will run.

I would suggest you offer the option of Media Mail and 1st Class Mail and let the buyer sort it out. At least you can do it with some confidence that most media mail items arrive pretty promptly.

Cheers

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I would ship First Class for free. 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Think of it this way: IF you offer both Media mail & 1st class shipping, it makes it harder for the buyer to later complain about shipping being so slow (through Media), since they were the one who chose it.  And on any 'slow shipping' complaint, you can calmly answer: "Buyer chose Media mail instead of 1st class" (though I don't expect that to happen because they WILL know it was their choice). So the ball is in their court 😉  

I prefer to do a flat shipping cost, though I am not sure that is going to work with the new rates. Still figuring it out. Best of Luck to you OP. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Why wouldn't you ship for free?

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I sell in the same category. What I will do is set it up as Media Mail. There is nothing that says you can't UPGRADE shipping. If someone purchases one CD or DVD and it is less expensive to ship First Class then do so. (just use stealth postage)

I also have some small pieces of jewelry that list with First Class parcel but if someone buys several it is often cheaper to put the small boxes inside a PFRE or RR'A'. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Since you have asked this question twice, I thought I would respond.    I used to have free shipping for about a year, but it didn't work for me.

Most of my CD's are under $10, also I am in Canada so I have to pay a courier to take my CD's over the border to mail USPS.    I also have a mailing address in the states just over the border that I would use.

Not all of us are large CD re-sellers that got their CD's for 25 cents and then resell them for $4+ and free shipping and they make their money on volume.    Every buyers circumstances and costs are so different and that had to be taken into account when doing pricing and costs.  I put all my CD's in new jewel cases, buy envelopes and pay for a courier, those expenses add $2 to the cost of shipping.  

My original question was should I basically offer a choice to the buyer as to how they would like it shipped.  Would that work for CD buyers or do they even care?    

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Why didn't free shipping work for you?

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Most of the cd's I've sold shipped media mail. They usually arrive within 3-8 days, depending on location. Never had one buyer complain about slow delivery.

I will start offering FCM and will raise the prices a bit to offset the postage increases. 

As a buyer, I would most likely buy a cd if free shipping is offered.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Because as strange as it may sound, some buyers have less problem with buying an item for $7.99 + 3.50 shipping, than they do buying that same item for $11.49 (free shipping included). This is not the case with some things of course; it just depends on what you are selling (I sell vintage play food replacement parts, and I have tested this many, many times). I do get a lot of newer buyers, and I think perhaps some of them misunderstand 'free' shipping, and think on those Items I am pocketing a larger profit somehow; that free shipping is actually 'free' to me somehow as a seller (wouldn't that be nice). 

However I do offer free shipping probably on about  1/3 - 1/2 of my items listed. As I said, all depends on which I have found to be the winning combination for that particular item, based on past sales. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

"Why didn't free shipping work for you?"

Well I tried buying shipping labels for free, but somehow I couldn't find any shipping companies willing to accommodate that request.

"Here at eBay, we're not happy unless you're not happy!"
Message 15 of 24
latest reply