cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Not As Described, Seller Sent Return Label, Then Mailed Item Back Instead Of Issuing Refund

I purchased an item  that was described as "like new." When it arrived the case was broken, the disc was scratched, and it looked shopworn.  I took pictures of the item, filed a return request, and immediately got a response with a prepaid label.  I sent the item back USPS marked that the seller got it. I was told if I did not get a refund by February 12th, to ask eBay to step in and they would assist with this. On today,  February 12th, I received a package from the seller, which I have not opened.

I went to the summaries and the help page, there is no link to ask eBay to step in. I finally found a page on the site that allows me to dispute the sale if I do not get a refund by the 18th.  I am aware of my options for a resolution if eBay does not make good on this.  I will be pursuing the seller as well.

Luckily, this is not an expensive item.  It was purchased to be a giveaway on my website. The way this was handled is frustrating.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Item Not As Described, Seller Sent Return Label, Then Mailed Item Back Instead Of Issuing Refund

If item was returned to you that is on the seller.   You are still entitled to the refund as long as a delivery was attempted.   Once you receive your refund you will be made whole again so there is no need to try to pursue this sale any further. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re: Item Not As Described, Seller Sent Return Label, Then Mailed Item Back Instead Of Issuing Refund

The s no way on the eBay site to ask them to step in and help. Frankly, I'd rather see it resolved and move on. Unfortunately, eBay has made it impossible to do as they suggest on their help page.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

The seller has until the end of today to refund so you should see the ask eBay to step in link on the 13th.

Does the tracking say why the item was sent back to you...was there a problem with the address or....?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@zenmoonpie wrote:

I was told if I did not get a refund by February 12th, to ask eBay to step in and they would assist with this.

I went to the summaries and the help page, there is no link to ask eBay to step in.

The link will appear on the 13th ... the seller still has until midnight PST on the 12th to issue the refund.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I used messaging eBay on Facebook to get my case like this refunded.  Three messages and five minutes and i was refunded.  You have to wait until after the date the seller has until to refund though

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I received the item in the mail today. That's a pretty good indication this seller has no intention of issuing a refund.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Or it could be an indication that they have an old address on file or that usps delivered it to the wrong address or.....

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I'm not sure what part of this is unclear.
I mailed the item back. Then the seller remailed it to me instead of issuing a refund.

The matter has been turned over to Paypal and an independent organization has advised me of further action I can take against the seller if he does not comply. At this point, it's not the about the money, it's about abusive practices that make eBay less safe for good faith business transactions to take place.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@zenmoonpie wrote:

The matter has been turned over to Paypal and an independent organization has advised me of further action I can take against the seller if he does not comply.

Now you opened a case on Pay Pal?

Have a great day
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

You don't say that the seller returned it using the label YOU put on the return... and you haven't opened it.

Any way the seller sent the wrong item and has corrected it with the new package's contents? IJS...

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@zenmoonpie wrote:
I'm not sure what part of this is unclear.
I mailed the item back. Then the seller remailed it to me instead of issuing a refund.

The matter has been turned over to Paypal and an independent organization has advised me of further action I can take against the seller if he does not comply. At this point, it's not the about the money, it's about abusive practices that make eBay less safe for good faith business transactions to take place.

The seller mailing it back would have zero outcome on your case and be really stupid of the seller.  

eBay would have refunded you since it showed it the item was returned to the seller.    It's not any more complicated than that 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

The seller used a new envelope and wrote out the address.
There was no communication from the seller about a wrong disc. The only communication I got was from eBay saying I should get a refund by the 12th. The remailed package arrived on the 12th.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I made the mistake of presuming eBay was involved with the seller's decision to mail back the disc instead of issuing a refund. That is why I took my complaint to Paypal. Throughout all of this, there has been no communication from the seller.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

This is a bad seller, I'm sorry about that but glad this wasn't an expensive item. I keep finding sellers who have stopped communicating with buyers, I find that so strange. 

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly, I'm responding here but I've read the entire thread to date. Best of luck to you and please post a follow up for the rest of us....

Message 15 of 17
latest reply