cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Hasn't Arrived, USPS Shipping Delays, USPS Insurance Claim

Hello all - I'm looking for some advice from more experienced sellers.  I had a package that was shipped to Philadelphia back on Dec 9, and buyer says the item never arrived (and filed as such via ebay on Dec 30).  I had already initiated a missing package request via USPS, and also filed an insurance claim with them - to which I received this completely non-answer response from them below.  

Do I go ahead and refund to the buyer now, with the chance that the package is still delayed?  And even if it was truly lost, how should I expect to receive my funds back from the USPS - since it was supposed to be insured up to $50?  Do I need to file another claim based on the bogus response below??  How can they claim that my request has been resolved if they (a) didn't track down the package or (b) didn't provide me with the insured reimbursement?  And what will ebay's policy be towards something like this?  I pride myself on providing excellent customer service and fast shipping, but the USPS has been quite frustrating these last several weeks.

~~~~~~~~USPS Response~~~~~~~

Your USPS Service Request #XXXX Has Been Resolved!

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Postal Service®.  This is in response to your recent inquiry regarding delayed mail.  As a result of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Postal ServiceTM Priority Mail® products and First-ClassTM packages may temporarily experience delivery delays due to limited transportation availability. 

Please be assured, the Postal Service’s goal is to move packages as expeditiously as possible, and we are committed to ensuring timely processing and delivery of essential packages. The Postal Service continually reviews its network capacity to provide the American public reliable, efficient, and fast delivery service.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.  Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused. 

Sincerely, 

Torresdale Post Office   

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Item Hasn't Arrived, USPS Shipping Delays, USPS Insurance Claim

If no movement is shown on the tracking it is best you refund them as eBay will do it for you.

I think it is (Edited  to 10 days) days you have to respond to the case but am not sure.

If the item is worth it you can try a intercept to get your item back.

As for the insurance with the shipper you will need proof of value.

If it is delivered after receipt of insurance you can bet the USPS will want such back also.

It is a mess.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@5-solas 

Never issue a refund until an item is back in your hand unless you are prepared for a MAXIMUM LOSS scenario: lose the item and the money.

Now there are a few nuances so make sure you understand your obligations and the TIME FRAMES associated with eBay's Money Back Guarantee.    Also, eBay had announcement to sellers regarding the COVID shipping delays, which alters MBG timeframes, so get familiar with that as it does supply some relief.

IF you are forced to refund before the package is delivered, then you should be aware that you have the option to recall the package and get it back using the USPS Package Intercept process.  Depending on the value of the item, the $14.65 cost may be worth it.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks we see for new sellers revolves around Returns and Refunds.  Many do not plan for them so when the first one happens it is a shock and economic hit.  Thus it makes sense to have a contingency plan and a fund set aside for those situations.  Many sellers "self tax" each sale by 5% and set those funds aside to pay for return/ refund costs.  Other recognize that the MBG allows a buyer 30-days after delivery to make a claim, so they do not count any funds or profits from a sale a theirs to spend until 31 days after a delivery.

Then there are things one can do to avoid fraud when a buyer pulls something.  Also when you are actually defrauded if you take the right steps then eBay will make you whole.

If you want some good advice on how to handle shipping please see this post by bluegrasscomics as it lays out a procedure that provides top level customer service!  COMMUNICATION is the key!  Contrary to popular opinion you have 'control" over buyer expectations and some control with USPS Tools (Missing Mail Procedure) to hopefully goose things along.

Keep asking and learning! You are head and shoulders over may other sellers who only show up after it is too late to help them!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

OP, your package being posted on the 9th isn't that late considering the mess USPS is in right now. It's almost certain your package will eventually be delivered to the buyer before USPS pays a lost package claim, so a hasty refund isn't wise.  Another problem with voluntarily refunding is that after the item is eventually delivered you lose the ability to appeal the case and take advantage of the new seller protections. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the reply - just curious what you meant by "new seller protections"?  Thanks in advance...

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@5-solas wrote:

Thanks for the reply - just curious what you meant by "new seller protections"?  Thanks in advance...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Seller-Protections-extended-for-shipping-delays-and-Nort...

Message 6 of 6
latest reply