cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me, or has USPS really slowed down on delivery since November 2017?

Wondering if others are experiencing more than an outlyer delay in package shipping with USPS?  As both a buyer and a seller, I've noticed that my most recent packages are not arriving within that expected in either Priority Mail or First Class estimates.  Two recent instances to illustrate:  1) Sent buyer a Priority Mail item with label saying 2-3 days delivery.  Customer received it on 8th day.  To make matters worse, found out USPS doesn't start tracking that they reveived the item from me until the next day, even though package was given to worker at counter in early a.m.  2) Purchased an item and seller sent tracking for First Class package on 1/16/18, with estimated delivery on 1/20.  It is now 1/24 and according to eBay USPS tracking, the package is still in Florida distribution center near where it originated.  

Frustrating and concerning as I'm sure buyers will assume seller is to blame.  I've started sending mailing confirmations to my buyers.  Seems a shame that USPS can't manage its commitments when we pay premium shipping charges for expedited shipping.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Is it just me, or has USPS really slowed down on delivery since November 2017?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes ,Having same problem Incoming and out going First Class and Priority mail. None of my Packages are showing up on time. NONE . Slow down Started here in Texas Around Dec 1, Maybe they change shipping. I checked to make sure they didnt change Shipping time when they chaged Prices, Guess we Now pay more for Longer shipping time!

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Is it just me, or has USPS really slowed down on delivery since November 2017?

I have had several Priority Mail packages take 3 days instead of 2 days this month. I had one Priority Mail package take 5 days to go from Georgia to California. I am hoping that it is just weather delays with the recent winter storms.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I noticed today that Ebay's tracking info doesn't match the USPS tracking info on all of my undelivered shipments (which are admittedly few and far between.) One has been in transit for a week and on Ebay doesn't show the last 3 days of tracking. On USPS, it shows multiple scans each of the last 3 days.
~Our local post office often doesn't scan packages left at the counter until after midnight. When I asked about it I was told that they all leave by 5:30pm so that is not possible. So I showed them some timestamps and they couldn't explain it.
~Also at our local post office, 2 weeks ago I waited in a long line to get scans. Packages were scanned and I got a printed receipt. Those scans never showed up on tracking. The first scans show on the next day at a regional center. I brought it to the manager's attention, fearing that there was a system issue, and she was completely unconcerned.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just do our work without the constant hassles?
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I wonder if it is possible that the change in trucking regulations have affected this.  The changes don't apply to the box trucks but to semis, so items going across the country might have the problem.  Truckers are not allowed to drive more than 8 hours at a time and have to have a 12 hour break  in between driving.  A trucker starts his day and stops for gas or to have lunch this is still counted as part of the 8 hours.  A trucker arrives at his destination for delivery at 8 hours he can't move his truck according to regulations.  If he isn't at home, to bad, he will have to call a taxi to get there.  All trucks have to have a GPS installed so now trucks from Canada can't come to the US because they don't want to install a GPS.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

But would a Priority Mail package go only by truck from Georgia to California? Can't be done in 2 to 3 days.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I sent a 5-pound package to my grandson in ILLINOIS on Friday, January 19.  I used Paypal's shipnow option and figured the package would arrive by Wednesday, January 24.

Imagine my surprise when I checked the tracking at USPS.COM and discovered the package was delivered on Monday, January 22 !  I sent a quick message to my daughter via Facebook, and sure enough, the package arrived on Monday!

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

There is something major going on, can't find out what it is yet.  Do not think this is a weather issue. I sent s package to Ga on the 17th, showed in transit to Ga. On the 22nd it showed back at my local sort facility.  On the 24th, in transit again to Ga.  It showed  it arrived in AL this morning, now tonight it's in TN. My customer is not happy and wants a refund.  Some people don't know enough about shipping and think this could be the sellers fault.  I have several packages going to different parts of the country that were shipped on 13th, 16th,17th, they all showed in transit to their destinations, now they show arriving in Tampa,FL.  6 Days after I shipped, they are showing up in the same state.  I tried calling the USPS  800# today, hold time was too long.     

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

1.)  Package sent Priority Mail from Michigan to Florida from an order on my website.  I used Paypal shipping.  It gets to Florida, then Florida sends it back...gets to Michigan and goes back to Florida and is finally delivered.  That was last week.

2.)  THIS week, a customer makes two orders to Pasadena, CA....one gets to Pasadena and guess what?  It gets sent back to me in MICHIGAN.  WTH???  The OTHER package just keeps saying in transit to destination.  So that buyer is 0 for 2 on two orders sent Priority Mail that should have been delivered by now.

Thinking this has to do with the postal increases?  I couldn't even print foreign labels earlier in the week through Paypal/ebay.

In any event, there DOES seem to be some sort of systemic problem going on...all this duplication of effort isnt helping either....

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

bcharmah
Adventurer

Six days ago, I purchased a book on eBay. It was shipping out of Reno, first class. All good so far, as Reno is, at most, a 3hr drive from where I live, in Northern California.  I figured I'd get it in three days, like most first class mail that comes to me. However, the book went from Reno to Las Vegas, then back to Reno, then on to Seattle, Washington (**bleep**?). That was two days ago. Since then, it just says item is on its way to destination.  That's pretty bad. Obviously, someone must have loaded it onto the wrong truck. Great. So, first class is getting to be as slow as media mail. Well, almost.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

usps priority mail international.

Really bad last couple of years, something changed.

First they closed one of our distribution centers and now sometimes it takes 2 days just to leave town.

I have been sending packages to Finland for 10 years, they always went from Chicago to Helsinki, occasionally Chicago-Amsterdam-Helsinki… direct 3-4days and real quick..…But now there is some convoluted route ?  Chicago-Louisville-Philadelphia-Paris-Cologne-Stockholm-Helsinki ??? **bleep** ?

and the tracking info is screwy , always changing.  What used to take 3-4days now takes 7-10days.  Had one take 14days, arrived the day I was filing a claim.  Another time the package was received and it still showed traveling 10days later ??  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Having the same issues and it's almost August...

Sent out 3 identical packages on the 23rd.... Shows leaving our local USPS on the 24th.  I'm in Ohio... One has made it to California... One to NC and TX shows the last tracking on the 26th as "in transit to the next facility".  I have customers that are starting to get upset; but they don't understand that we don't have control after we take it to the Post Office.   Sounds like people are having the same issue with priority too... We sent a package to Wisconsin and it took two weeks for 3 day priority....  I just don't know how to put our customers mind at ease.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yes they are difenelty slowing down and ruining my business. today I had 2 cusomters contact me regarding late packages one package is now 2 weeks late! and still has not arrived!!! the tracking just says what posted office is has left and that post office is only 30 minutues away from teh one that i dropped the package off at. What can we do so this doesn't damage our seller rating? Can we get refunds for oour paid shipping?? NOVEMBER 2018

Message 13 of 13
latest reply