cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I used FedEx to ship more than two weeks ago, payment not deducted from PayPal yet?

Sold an item April 22, shipped it April 23, delivered April 25th.  I've never used FedEx before, but this was least expensive option for buyer. As of today May 8, no payment from PayPal showing to FedEx for this order. From what I have been reading, FedEx apparently (or has in the past) added additional charges beyond the amount shown using the ebay shipping calculator, so I have been watching/waiting to see what the deduct from PayPal.

Does anyone know how long this process takes?  Or, how much more than was "calculated" will be billed, above (as they state it on their own website...) "list rates, surcharges, fees, and other factors that can affect your shipping rate" ????

If they (fedEx and ebay) know there are going to be additional charges, why are these fees not factored into the ebay calculator? Leaves sellers on the hook for whatever they want to add to the amount a buyer is charged. Seems illogical.  The shipping fee was calaculated as $12.75 (seemed reasonable, right?)  I tried re-creating the charge by using the "sell similar"  feature and $15.50 is what shows now, so the rate went up $2.75 in 17 days?  

After reading about other users experiences and suprise charges weeks to a month later....this has me a little concerned. Those were old complaints by other sellers, can't find anything current. Has ebay/FedEx resolved the "extra fees" issue so I shouldn't be concerned? Still want to know when they will take the payment, or do the mail me an invoice to my ebay shipping address or offical address (different in my case, as I ship from a different location than my registered ebay address).

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I used FedEx to ship more than two weeks ago, payment not deducted from PayPal yet?

Hello! When you ship through FedEx, you won't see a charge from FedEx. The shipping amount will get added into your monthly invoice from ebay, so it will be mixed in with your final value fees. It usually takes a week or two for the charge to show up after the package has been delivered. You can see what you've been charged by FedEx by going into your account activity in your seller hub. 

Hope that helps!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: I used FedEx to ship more than two weeks ago, payment not deducted from PayPal yet?

Hello! When you ship through FedEx, you won't see a charge from FedEx. The shipping amount will get added into your monthly invoice from ebay, so it will be mixed in with your final value fees. It usually takes a week or two for the charge to show up after the package has been delivered. You can see what you've been charged by FedEx by going into your account activity in your seller hub. 

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for the answer. Nothing showing on my accocunt charges yet, so I'll just wait til it appears. If you have any knowledge of the "extra" fees part of my question, please let me know!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

•If they (fedEx and ebay) know there are going to be additional charges,

•why are these fees not factored into the ebay calculator?

How is FedEx supposed to know that you underweighed the package, measured the dimensions wrong, used an undeliverable address on it, that it was going to burst during shipment and need to be repaired or reboxed, that the recipient would not be available and more than 3 delivery attempts would be necessary, that it had characteristics that the eBay calculator doesn't address (non-machinable like cylindrical for Smartpost or cylindrical, shrinkwrapped, not boxed, in a poly bag for FedEx Ground), are any of a number of charges for conditions not specified at time of label creation or that occur in transit?

USPS eats any after shipment charges themselves (other than underpaid postage) - FedEx and UPS do not.

Anyone shipping via eBay FedEx who assumes the eBay FedEx label flow is idiot proof or complete, and without reading and understanding the FedEx (or UPS) Service Guide and how FedEx (or UPS) work, will likely get surprises on their invoices.

The label flow at FedEx.com covers a few more pre-shipment contingencies than the simpler eBay FedEx label flow, (like some additional handling criteria), but you still have to know what you are doing, and know what is near the limits or incurs surcharges. There is no iPhone app that can handle that complexity.

There are some potential issues with eBay FedEx calculations right now so that may be what you saw with the $2.75 increase.

Many of the old (and new) complaints are by sellers who didn't know what they were doing and assumed things/ Others are due to FedEx mis-weighing or mis-measuring pkgs, and many are due to eBay screwing up the calculators all the time.

eBay does not snail mail an invoice. Your FedEx charges will appear on the eBay account activity and invoice usually a few days after pkg delivery (it's that way for me) Check your eBay account activity: http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewAccount&acctpagetype=0&sortOrder=1

Your past and current (when it is generated on 15th of end of month) invoices are there.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply