cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle Not As Described return abuse?

I offer 30 day returns with no restocking fee's, buyer pays return shipping. Not a big deal. This past month I have had 2 "not as described" returns and the reasons were as follows....

"Doesnt fit like a size large"

"Pants fit like a low rise jean which was not mentioned in description"

I include measurments in my descriptions, and therefore I feel like these should be returned as "item does not fit" instead of damaging my selling status by opening Not As Described Returns in order to avoid return shipping fees.....which is exactly what I think is happening. Any thoughts or suggestions to help eliminate this problem in the future?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If you are persistent, you can phone eBay until you get a rep that agrees with you that these are Buyer's Remorse returns.

I personally don't have that kind of time, so I would likely just block the buyer and refund when the goods arrive and are inspected.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@shop_the_sandcastle wrote:

I offer 30 day returns with no restocking fee's, buyer pays return shipping. Not a big deal. This past month I have had 2 "not as described" returns and the reasons were as follows....

"Doesnt fit like a size large"

"Pants fit like a low rise jean which was not mentioned in description"...

"Dosn't Fit" is a "protected word" on eBay and a sellers should easily to be able to get the case closed in their favor.

I would call and do that if I were you. Should be EZPZ.

Make SURE they close it WHILE you're on the phone with them.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@shop_the_sandcastle wrote:

....I include measurments in my descriptions, and therefore I feel like these should be returned as "item does not fit" instead of damaging my selling status by opening Not As Described Returns in order to avoid return shipping fees.....

BTW, I wrote back in Nov 2016 (on this id) EVERYTHING you want to know about SNAD returns, how to fight them, How to contact eBay (and who) and how to win. If you look at my posts, you'll find it.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

"Dosn't Fit" is a "protected word" on eBay and a sellers should easily to be able to get the case closed in their favor.

OP offers returns.  What do you think will happen if they call ebay?  My guess is if OP is lucky they can get the return closed and a case opened which will immediately be decided in favor of the buyer with return costs on the buyer but original shipping on the seller.   And a defect for the OP (case closed w/o seller resolution) which would need to be appealed. 

I agree with previous poster.... who has time for that?  I'd just accept the return and refund.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I had one of those in May.  I had to send the buyer a label.  She never shipped the item back, so I got it closed in my favor, and the money for the label was returned.  As I always say, it doesn't matter what your return policy is.... People always find a petty reason to make you pay.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

OP offers returns.  What do you think will happen if they call ebay?...

Most likely, the same thing that happened to me once (which was I had to accept the return even though it was clearly not SNAD), but that is because I had a return policy. That day I changed all my listings to NO RETURNS. But it never hurts to try. I've gotten some closed and won in the past with this situation. I've ALWAYS said, don't let a case timeout, but you can call (a lot) over those 3 days you have.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@xgoblazersx wrote:

I had one of those in May.  I had to send the buyer a label.  She never shipped the item back, so I got it closed in my favor, and the money for the label was returned.  As I always say, it doesn't matter what your return policy is.... People always find a petty reason to make you pay.

Well, it does matter what your return policy is. If the OP has a return policy AND the buyer falsely opens a SNAD claim, you have to fight a LOT harder to have it closed in your favor whereas if the OP had a no returns policy, it would be EZPZ.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

and block them.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I also have a no return policy and it has saved me several times over the last few years.  Since I get my items from outside sources I also have a disclaimer in all my listings concerning smoke odor~~that has saved me several times over the years when buyers open SNAD disputes.  The 10% discount isn't worth it to me to have to bend over to buyers by having a 30 day return policy~~especially when you are dealing in clothing sales.  They can wear it and send it back on your dime ($).

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@xgoblazersx wrote:

Well, it does matter what your return policy is. If the OP has a return policy AND the buyer falsely opens a SNAD claim, you have to fight a LOT harder to have it closed in your favor whereas if the OP had a no returns policy, it would be EZPZ.

I've always had a no returns policy.  Since it was a week after I sent the label, they closed it because the buyer has 5 days to show movement on the tracking.  It doesn't matter what your policy is because that's across the board.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@xgoblazersx wrote:

@phcd1 wrote:

@xgoblazersx wrote:

I've always had a no returns policy.  Since it was a week after I sent the label, they closed it because the buyer has 5 days to show movement on the tracking.  It doesn't matter what your policy is because that's across the board.

Different issue, but you are correct.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

When processing the return, you can "report a problem with the buyer", and choose the reason that you do not agree with buyer's reason for return, and explain why. Refer to your listing description and any correspondence you had between with the buyer.

You can also report the buyer from the transaction record for misusing MBG or misusing reutrns. 

These kind of buyers have to be stopped. This is not a window-shopping platform.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply