cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extend time to return item? (Seller messaged agreement to wait before returning.)

A seller accepted a return on an item. I offered to order a replacement for defective component, and if it works accept partial refund, else return the item. But then Ebay messaged me that I need to return within a few days or maybe can't get refunded. Can I extend the time allowed to return the item, or do I need to return it now?

It is a laptop, the battery stopped working, and I've ordered a replacement battery that will take 1-2 months to arrive. I messaged them link to the item and they agreed to wait so I can try the new battery and hopefully save them return shipping.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How to extend time to return item? (Seller messaged agreement to wait before returning.)

I had an item being returned and on the last day that the buyer had to send it back the tracking still didn't show it as shipped back.  I called ebay the next morning, they checked the tracking and immediately closed the case.

Your seller can agree to anything with you but they can also close the case in their own favor if you don't ship it back within the time allowed.  It's also VERY unfair of you to expect the seller to give you 1-2 months to return it while you wait on a replacement battery.  It also sounds ike you ordered the new battery from China??  That's also not a very good idea.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: How to extend time to return item? (Seller messaged agreement to wait before returning.)

Also~~in answer to your question~~no, ebay will not extend the return time.  The seller needs to send you a return label to protect himself or ebay could give him an unresolved case defect and give you a full refund without the return.  I just hope your seller knows what he's doing.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I had an item being returned and on the last day that the buyer had to send it back the tracking still didn't show it as shipped back.  I called ebay the next morning, they checked the tracking and immediately closed the case.

Your seller can agree to anything with you but they can also close the case in their own favor if you don't ship it back within the time allowed.  It's also VERY unfair of you to expect the seller to give you 1-2 months to return it while you wait on a replacement battery.  It also sounds ike you ordered the new battery from China??  That's also not a very good idea.

It's not unfair of me. I gave seller a choice, and they chose to wait for this battery to arrive instead of returning straight away. Sounds like they don't know what they are doing (or trying to cheat me...? hope not) and I should just return it.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Not a good idea.  

Any seller who would agree to wait for 2 months to get their merchandise back for a Not As Described return is either foolish or lying.  I'm leaning towards the latter.  

Follow the timelines.  You are trying to be kind, but it's a naive move.  This isn't personal.  It's business.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The most important questions are:  Did you file a return request through ebay and did the seller agree to the return and send you a return label (if he was responsible for return shipping) and did ebay give you a timeframe by which to send it back?   NEED answers to those questions to know what is going on.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

The most important questions are:  Did you file a return request through ebay and did the seller agree to the return and send you a return label (if he was responsible for return shipping) and did ebay give you a timeframe by which to send it back?   NEED answers to those questions to know what is going on.

Yes, but they were "unable to send a label" and now I need to contact them (through ebay) to sort that out. And initially no, but today ebay said I have three days to return. I will sort out return however ebay requires it.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@grpcol

Was this an international purchase to start off with?  If so, it is true they cannot send a label through eBay.  HOWEVER, they are still responsible for return shipping.  They either need to send you a label or send you monies through PayPal to cover shipping (and not through a refund of the original transaction) 

Go to USPS.com and use the calculate a price function to see what it would cost. It has to be a trackable service.  Let the seller know the price.

If they do not provide you with return shipping expenses, you need to contact eBay Customer Service sooner rather than later.  Do not let the window pass.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

OP~~You stated in your other posts that you used this and the battery worked fine for 3 weeks or longer UNTIL you had a power outage at your house.  You say the electrician shut your power off while the laptop was plugged in.  Did you have electrical problems in your house that caused the electrician to be called?  Since it worked fine with no problems for weeks until you had the electrical problem in your house I would bet this had something to do with a power surge as someone else brought up on your other thread.  The seller should NOT be responsible for anything if this is what happened.  You shouldn't take advantage of the seller if you know this could have happened.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@grpcol - this bears repeating: "The seller should NOT be responsible for anything if this is what happened.  You shouldn't take advantage of the seller if you know this could have happened."

The above was the conclusion in your previous thread - so if something occurs again let's say 6 months down the road, the seller would be responsible for that also?  Using the laptop as you described in your previous thread would make the seller be "held harmless" from possible misuse.  I know that yourself and others would not and will not agree with me, but having to work claims for an insurance company and defense work for insurance companies from anything from auto accidents to product liability and misuse will void out any warranty that you have.  

Six months down the line, should something again go wrong, would that be the seller's fault too?  Here in the United States, most businesses that sell electronic items normally have restocking fees for whatever reason(s) the buyer wanting to return.  Costco is the only one that I am aware of that will allow a return for any reason. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

@grpcol - this bears repeating: "The seller should NOT be responsible for anything if this is what happened.  You shouldn't take advantage of the seller if you know this could have happened."

The above was the conclusion in your previous thread - so if something occurs again let's say 6 months down the road, the seller would be responsible for that also?  Using the laptop as you described in your previous thread would make the seller be "held harmless" from possible misuse.  I know that yourself and others would not and will not agree with me, but having to work claims for an insurance company and defense work for insurance companies from anything from auto accidents to product liability and misuse will void out any warranty that you have.  

Six months down the line, should something again go wrong, would that be the seller's fault too?  Here in the United States, most businesses that sell electronic items normally have restocking fees for whatever reason(s) the buyer wanting to return.  Costco is the only one that I am aware of that will allow a return for any reason. 

Incorrect: no power surge, no misuse. The thread is here <http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Laptop-battery-fail-Is-it-seller-s-responsibility/m-p/...>. You should read and understand the whole thread before posting false info.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

". Within an hour I found that our house had power switched off"

Message 12 of 12
latest reply