cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How on earth....

We got in some 12 foot Skeletons, but not really sure if it's worth the hassle to ship. These are going to have to get shipped freight due to the size of the box, that that's crazy expensive.  I'm assuming that sellers at that shipping these things must have some sort of business arrangement with a freight company,  because these things are going to cost anywhere from $500 to $850 to freight anywhere, based on what I've been able to find so far. I've seen some listed with only $350 in shipping  charges. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How on earth....

What's the size and weight of the box?

Those 12' skeletons fetched massive prices last year. Home Depot couldn't keep them on the shelves and I saw sellers here getting $700-900 for them. Plenty of news articles from last year.

Home Depot is selling them for $300 this year with a limit of one per online order - not sure what the in-store limits are.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

List them for Pickup Only and the let the buyer figure it out.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

The box is 40 x 48 x 24, so about the same area as a pallet. None of the regular carriers will deliver,  because it supposed to require two people to load and unload due to the size and weight. We may try out the local pickup and see what happens, but was just curious as to how people were even able to offer shipping without having some sort of contract in order to get it shipped at a reasonable cost. When I did the research on find a freight service, the cost of shipping was way more the what the retail is on these things. The last 2 time home depot had did a release, they sold out within 2 or 3 days, but I think there another drop coming up.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

And the lesson to be learned is that you should have figured all this out BEFORE you "got them in". Some things are just not appropriate for online sales.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

I don't have a issue selling them. Just was wondering how other that have them listed on ebay are offering to ship them. We do local sells, and have already sold 4, locally. So, I'm not sure what lesson I should be learning, because when we purchased these, I was very much aware that the possibility of shipping was next to none due the size.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

How much does the box weigh?  Regardless the problem is if you use freight even with great discounts, you get hit with residential pickup and residential delivery surcharges, which also may require a lift gate charge.  

I suspect others you see shipping this are more in the center of the country and have a flat rate agreement with a carrier for each Zone, which likely could be in the $250-$350 range for a small pallet if seller loads it on the truck or brings it to the terminal.

However, if delivery is within your state or joining states, a local trucking company can be very reasonable and may even offer a flat rate.   Offer Local Pickup and since the item is already boxed to ship, post the dimensions and weight and mention buyer can arrange their own shipping.  Just make sure you get the pickup confirmation code before handing it over the carrier.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

The box weighs 98 lbs. When I had looked up rates, I pretty much just picked a zip that was the farthest away, and the rate was starting around $350 and went up to $850, depending on the company.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

Your problem is the size of the box not the weight, if it was a bit smaller say 40x40x20 it would ship cross country by discounted UPS for $250. 

Since it is too large for UPS/FedEx, you need to talk to a local freight forwarder with good discounts, and you need to at least save the residential pickup at your end by taking the box to the local terminal.

Still, why get involved with freight, do the local pickup and see what happens.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

Yes, that's what I figured. We'll probably list them later on, if we happen to still have them by then.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

@rfmtm wrote:

List them for Pickup Only and the let the buyer figure it out.

That will NEVER work.

eBay is NOT a 'local pickup' place. Typical buyers expect EVERYTHING sold here to SHIP. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

Think about this for a half of second, "Who is going to pay the return shipping on one of these if the buyer opens an item NOT described case?"    Ok, that is enough for you to list them locally on Craigslist and have the buyer pick them up and pay you in cash.  The thought of a return alone makes my stomach sick and I don't sell these items and I don't know you!   Goodluck.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

Yes, that was another thing we had considered.  I was really just curious how sellers were even able to offer shipping if they are legitimate sellers. We had been told by previous customers that often times they are scams, either never ship or supposedly ship to incorrect aaddress. I few people even said rhe ones that claim to have local pickup,  that they end up trying to say they will ship instead. We most likely with just stick with the way thing are now. It's just the flaky buyers that are an issue right now. They all go through the process of setting up an appointment to pickup at our warehouse, get address and contact info,  then just not show up. Makes not sense to me. It's like people just want a address for whatever reason.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

How on earth....

I have sold a number of things for local pickup on ebay without a problem,  but totally agree ebay is not the best place to do it, and I would never sell something that I had to pay a high shipping cost for.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply