cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you deal with stolen packages

Haven't had this happen before as a seller, but a buyer said his package I sent him was most likely stolen (tracking said it made it to his front door)

I realize I'm on the hook here and have to compenstate the buyer, but where is seller protection in this instance?    Can't a buyer just claim a package was stolen or lost, file a claim with eBay and get free stuff by lying about not receiving a package?  

Also, is there anything I can do on my end to help protect myself in the future?  Do I need to put insurance on every package I send through eBay so I'm protected?  Do most sellers do this?    Should I contact my post office and let them know?  I can't imagine they will do anything about it though since it shows as being delivered.

Thanks for the help

Brent

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

No, you are not on the hook.  If tracking shows delivered your job is done.  It doesn't have to be delivered to their hand, just to their address.  Front porch is fine.  

If the buyer files a claim of not received respond with the tracking number showing delivered.  Then call eBay and ask them to close the case.   

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If Tracking shows delivery on your package, Your job is done and you owe buyer nothing, so you're "not on the hook". Tracking protects sellers and proves delivery. Many lose packages to theft, but this is not your problem, Buyer is responsible to provide a safe place for delivery.  Good Luck to you.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If the tracking number shows delivery your job is done. If the item was stolen from the buyer house he needs to talk to the police.
Insurance will not cover a package that was delivered.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

So how should I communicate with the buyer?  Should I just tell him to contact his post office and/or police?   What if he leaves negative feedback?    He seems like a reasonable person, but he did open a case, looking to get this resolved.  He even said he thinks it got stolen.    He already has the tracking # and tracked it to his front door.   I put the tracking # in the response to the case.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

In the case, there should be a link for "upload tracking". You MUST do it IN the case. Then in the case, send a message of understanding but advising that the tracking shows delivered so your suggestion is they contact the shipper and possibly police (if they believe stolen). Then call eBay and have case closed in your favor as the item was delivered.

It is my understanding that after a case is escalated and closed they can't leave you feedback. But maybe someone else can advise on this as i am not sure.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You are not on the hook. It is up to every homeowner to provide a safe place to deliver packages and mail.

If they live in an area where theft is a problem there are several ways to do this. 

Apt buildings can install locking gang boxes with locking parcel lockers.

The customer can put in an order with USPS to hold all packages for pickup.

They can get a PO Box

They can request an upgrade to Signature Tracking.

Message your buyer, tell them you are sorry that this happened to them but you are not responsible after delivery. You will, however, give them as much of a detailed description of the package so they can, in turn, provide that to their police dept and the postal inspectors. 

You should know that a portion of these theft claims are false and just an attempt to get something for free.  These often will result in the customer going silent or coming back with a "Oops, found it" type of message.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

or sometimes the package is delivered to the wrong house and the person who gets it drops it by. The fact that the package turns up doesn't always indicate a scammer. Let the buyer know that the Post Office may have GPS coordinates for where the package was scanned delivered. It could be across town. I've had packages scanned delivered that were actually still at the Post Office or on the truck.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

What would be the point of getting tracking and having that tracking show delivered if the buyer could go ahead and open an item not received case? The main reason for tracking is to protect the seller.

You can tell your buyer to check with the carrier who marked as delivered.

Since eBay requires that buyers have a safe delivery site, you can suggest to the buyer that he should consider getting a PO box.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I've even had UPS do that; I bought something from Amazon years ago that was delivered to a house on my street, but it wasn't my house.  Amazon sent a new one - just as well since when the misdelivered item eventually made its way to me they'd sent the wrong item. 

I'd tell the recipient to call the USPS too; their local post office will have the coordinates for where it was dropped off.  If the package went to their house, then it's time for a call to the police.  If not, the PO needs to get it back from wherever it did go. If something gets lost in transit, it's on the shipper, but once it's delivered the shipper is out of the equation. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Thanks guys for the input.  

I uploaded tracking to the opened case even thought the seller already had it.  Do I need to actually call eBay though?  Won't they see the tracking and close the case for me in my favor since it shows as bein delievered?

thanks!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@udubber83 wrote:

I uploaded tracking to the opened case even thought the seller already had it.  Do I need to actually call eBay though?  Won't they see the tracking and close the case for me in my favor since it shows as bein delievered?

thanks!

Go ahead and call ebay. Unfortunately its not uncommon for the bots to ignore the tracking and find in favor of the buyer. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@udubber83 wrote:

Haven't had this happen before as a seller, but a buyer said his package I sent him was most likely stolen (tracking said it made it to his front door)

I realize I'm on the hook here and have to compenstate the buyer, but where is seller protection in this instance?    Can't a buyer just claim a package was stolen or lost, file a claim with eBay and get free stuff by lying about not receiving a package?  

Also, is there anything I can do on my end to help protect myself in the future?  Do I need to put insurance on every package I send through eBay so I'm protected?  Do most sellers do this?    Should I contact my post office and let them know?  I can't imagine they will do anything about it though since it shows as being delivered.

Thanks for the help

Brent

Your not on ANY hook, if the item shows "delivered", your done as far as eBay AND PayPal is concerned. I would write: "Dear Buyer, I'm sorry that you believe your package has been stolen. If I can assist you in any way in recovering the, please don't hesitate to ask. In the mean time I suggest you go to https://emailus.usps.com/emailUs/iq/usps/request.do?forward=emailUs to report the missing package. Thank You" (and BLOCK THEM).

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@udubber83 wrote:

thanks!

I would call  and have them close the case. It should be EZPZ.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The OP should DEFINITELY call eBay, hopefully before 10:00 AM PST, so that the OP can talk to an American Customer Service rep, rather than someone in the Philippines. Once the American rep sees the OP's tracking number is in place, the case will be closed in the OP's favor. And don't worry about the buyer leaving negative feedback -- eBay will also remove that, if the OP calls Customer Service.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply