cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out if or how much I will be charged for return shipping US to China?

Hello kind folks!

I did a search before posting, but the search function is terrible and didn't give me any results. I don't believe that this question has really not been asked before :-).

I ordered an item that turned out to be defective and probably fake. Seller approved a return, eBay issued a shipping label. It has a ql code but I don't have a reader for that. 

The label doesn't list the price anywhere. I know shipping from China to the US is cheap but in the other direction is not!

How do I find out before I put this in the mail?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I find out if or how much I will be charged for return shipping US to China?

Thank you very much, otow_18!

Before I saw your post, I finally gave in and made an actual phone call to ebay customer service. They said yes, they do international returns, and no, I was not going to be charged for this one.

Thank you so much, everyone who tried to help! I did not realize this was going to be so complicated :-).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: How do I find out if or how much I will be charged for return shipping US to China?

take the q code to your post office; they can print it out..

Note: if you really want to know such costs calculate them on the carriers site. Or ask at the PO.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If the item "turned out to be defective", you should not be the one paying the return shipping.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thank you very much folks!

I guess I should have mentioned that going to the post office is not something I'm physically able to do. I will have to mail it from my house.

I agree that I should not have to pay return postage. But how do I find out IF I am being charged?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Is the QR code the only possible place I can find out whether I'm being charged and how much?

I'm home bound because of post-covid lung damage. So I can't take it to the post office.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@susannah8xv8 wrote:

1. I ordered an item that turned out to be defective and probably fake.

2. Seller approved a return, eBay issued a shipping label. It has a ql code but I don't have a reader for that. 

3. The label doesn't list the price anywhere. I know shipping from China to the US is cheap but in the other direction is not! 

That means that eBay will bill the seller for return shipping ... to a US address, not an address in China.

When eBay issues a return label

-- after a seller approves a return but does not issue a return label, 

-- eBay can only provide a prepaid return label if the return is going to an address in US.

So you're not concerned what the label costs @susannah8xv8 but you do have to ship the item back. Then, whether it is delivered to that address or comes back undelivered due to a fake address, eBay will force a full refund.

Go back to your return details page USING  A COMPUTER, and look under the QR code for the option to print the return label instead. Then schedule a free package pickup here with your post office.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I'm very grateful for your detailed reply, but I'm still confused! The shipping label clearly says that it is sending to China. I printed the label from the eBay website, so this isn't some kind of scam, I don't think.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I'm confused too!  As the other poster said, ebay only does return labels if the item is being sent from the US to another US address.  

For your original question,  because I'm not in the US I've never printed a return label but it was my understanding that if the buyer was responsible for the cost, that information would be given when they were told there was a label available.  If you don't see a cost, then I would guess that the seller is paying which is how it should happen if the item was defective.    @otow_18  Does the buyer normally see the cost of the label right away if they are the one paying for it?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@susannah8xv8 wrote:

1. eBay issued a shipping label. It has a [QR] code but I don't have a reader for that. 

2. The shipping label clearly says that it is sending to China.

3. I printed the label from the eBay website, so this isn't some kind of scam, I don't think. 

When the buyer must pay for the return shipping label, eBay clearly says what it will cost, like this:

Y0adsjfpiojiaposdpfjsjdfpsajdpfjpsdjpfdo0.jpg

Previously, the buyer must pay for the eBay return label using PayPal.

But now eBay explains that the cost of the label will be deducted from the refund.

Did you see any of this, @susannah8xv8? Otherwise, you are not paying for return shipping.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you very much, otow_18!

Before I saw your post, I finally gave in and made an actual phone call to ebay customer service. They said yes, they do international returns, and no, I was not going to be charged for this one.

Thank you so much, everyone who tried to help! I did not realize this was going to be so complicated :-).

Message 10 of 10
latest reply