cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I deduct shipping costs and/or restocking fee from refund?

I have just received the return of a moderately-pricey item which the buyer did not like.  I'd like to charge him for the shipping costs both ways (which I've already paid) and maybe a restocking fee.  In my 21+ years, I've never done this......When I hit the "refund" button, will I be given the option of stating the amount of the refund, the ability to make deductions? ......or is it automatically going to refund the entire purchase price?  The buyer is expecting me to charge him some of this.......and the legitimacy of his return is not an issue--it's not defective, mis-described, or in any way at fault--just buyer's remorse/ignorance/etc.

Thanks in advance for the technical assistance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I deduct shipping costs and/or restocking fee from refund?

If the buyer did a 'return' through ebay- no, you will be refunding 100%. 

If the buyers just messaged you, sent the item on his own dime and is expecting a deduction- you can refund what you agree on, with the buyer, via paypal. You will not get 'final value fees' returned from ebay if a return was not opened. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If it had free shipping, buyer will get a full refund.

If buyer paid shipping, you could deduct the original shipping from the refund.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If the buyer did a 'return' through ebay- no, you will be refunding 100%. 

If the buyers just messaged you, sent the item on his own dime and is expecting a deduction- you can refund what you agree on, with the buyer, via paypal. You will not get 'final value fees' returned from ebay if a return was not opened. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I only looked at 2 of your sold listings, and both of those state you do not accept returns.  Since you mentioned that the buyer did not like the item, that is buyer's remorse, and with a No Returns policy, you can decline the return.  However, since you already agreed to accept the return, you can withhold the return shipping charge.  You cannot charge a restocking fee.  ebay will not credit back any FVF for a partial refund.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 4 of 4
latest reply