cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change weight when printing shipping label?

I never package my items before bidding is over but I do add 1 lb estimate to actual weight of item.  Instead of package weight of 14.9 ounces I put 1 lb 1 oz.  When I go to print shipping label I'm being charged for the 1 lb 1 oz.  How can I, if I can, change the weight and charges to the 14.9 oz?  Any help appreciate wheter it's yay or nay!  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Too much coffee, my spelling is awful.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Since you are not real new to selling, I fear I may not be understanding your question unless you have never printed a label before.  There are places to enter the correct information about your package before printing it out.  It doesn't matter what you put in your listing, other than that is what your buyer will be charged.  You always have to input the correct info on the label for the correct postage.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

On the label preparation page, click on the link for "Change package weight & dimensions."

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

What is the exact weight of the complete package?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I does seem to matter with Fedex Smartpost. I guesstimated the weight of a pair of boots at 4lbs (to be safe when listing) but in reality they are under 3 lbs when all packed up. When I change the weight on the screen to prepare the label, it does allow me to change the weight but the rate (price to ship) stays the same, even if I lower the weight to 1 lb. I am assuming they are charging based on original weight stated in the listing (this is something new). However, if I prepare a priority label, changing the weight in the listing changes the price. I am shipping priority since the rate difference at 3 lbs isnt enough to offset the additional time. Even though it will cost me more than the buyer paid.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The difference is dimensional weight based on the dimensions in the original listing. Smartpost dimensional weight is calculated using a different formula then Priority Mail, and applies to ALL Smartpost shipments where Priority Mail only considers dimensional weight for shipments to zones 5-8.

A boot box (something like 16"x12"x8") will ship at an eBay FedEx Smartpost dimensional weight = 16x12x8/166=9.25=10lbs Thus your 3lb and 4lb actual weights don't matter at all - it ships at 10lbs.

If Priority Dim Weight applies (zones 5-8 destinations), USPS PM Dim weight = 16x12x8/194 = 7.92 = 8lbs Since you said the Priority Mail price did change when you changed from 4# to 3#, that tells me that either your box is much smaller or the label is to a zone 1-4 destination. (I'm pretty sure it's a zone 1-4 destination which is exempt from dim weight considerations, because for the dim weight to not be a factor the box would have to be less than 582 in³ in volume or something like 11"x10"x5" which is pretty small for a boot box)

In this case, the Smartpost dimensional weight is greater that the actual weight, so rates are based on the higher dimensional weight. The Priority Mail prices change because it is either going to a zone 1-4 destination, or the dim weight is less than or equal to the actual weight and not considered.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply