cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hige Charg on Shipping...

I suppose I know the answer, that besides negative feedback and DSR there isn't much I can do but I curious.

I am buying a large pair of speakers from a resell/consignment seller on here, he stated in his description that the item would be shipped fedex and one day handling. Thus I agreed on the "flat" charge of 500$ for shipping...

A week went by and I heard nothing from the seller and was curious when they would be here as I wanted to be home. He states that it was going to cost over 700$ to have these shipped by fright and he currently has them listed on uship.

I found the listing on uship and see he accepted an offer of 240$ to have someone bring them to me....I won the auction on Jan 25th, supposedly they will be here on Feb 20th...

I politely asked if I would be reimbursed the other 260$ he charged for shipping. He is denying the request stating that I agreed on a flat rate for shipping, that the fedex/one day handling does not apply to large items nor freight and his final messaged stated that in his own words "It was in my interest to have costs on my end be as low as possible, ideally so I could make some of my money back for these by saving costs on the shipping."

Needless to say I am very upset because I bought the speakers assuming they would be shipped fedex and with in a few days after my purchase. Just to find out he didn't want to spend the money on his stated shipping method.

But as I said I am not sure if anything else maybe able to be done but I was just curious about others thoughts?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Hige Charg on Shipping...

@prettyinplaid wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

@cream_couture wrote:

I read on another post that items shipped by a different method and arrive outside of the delivery window can be filed as not as described claim. Not sure if that helps, but I’m not sure what else you can do:( 

Yes but it is done on PayPal, eBay doesn't seem to care about this issue.

No it is not done on paypal @lja440 You must be thinking of the shipping cost dispute paypal allows. What the other poster suggested was a NAD for late delivery and that dispute may be filed with ebay. Late delivery is NAD because the delivery date is part of the item description. 

I agree.   I recently had a buyer open an NAD on Paypal and stated late delivery as the reason and that they wanted a partial refund.  I called Paypal and they immediately closed in my favor. 

Not sure how Paypal enforces those shipping cost disputes but I am guessing they don't. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I think how I got away with it, is because his handling time is stated at 1 day. The 20th estimate is what I got from uship. Supposedly this has changed to before the 15th.

I am still debating on if I want to contact the carrier directly. He has changed his shipping cost to 350$ now and offered a 150$ refund but I honestly am just upset about his customer service and not stating his shipping method and even contacting me to insure uship freight carrier on said dates would work for me.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Another update encase anyone is following...

I received a message containing this in his own words ""The actual cost of shipping these on my end was close to $350 after uship's service charge, insurance, and cost of materials and labor to protect and load the speakers.""

So now the standard shipping charge includes handling, service charges and insurance costs...

He FINALLY! gave me the contact info of the carriers and keeps telling me to give him a chance and is still offering a 150$ refund.....He also said they will be here in the morning, there will be two guys in the truck and that he can have them move them into my house(I have no porch but he forgot to ask me if there are any special delivery requirements)...

I just don't know how to get the point across to him and he just isn't getting the point of this. He never communicated any of these shipping details to me after I won or before he chose to put them up for bid. I also don't think he understands how uship works...the carrier he chose is just a broker and not the actually guy who will bring them here...

I am still not sure what to do about this, I am just so upset and I feel things would have been a LOT different if he had communicated aka keep me up to date on the details of the shipping. And after I found out the actually cost to ship them reimbursed me the difference, not keep telling me WHY he should keep the remainder of the cost.

Here is a copy of the description of the item.

In great working condition, all drivers are functioning. Fabric is fully intact. Mahogany cabinets are in good overall condition with a few spots that can be touched up with wood finish product. You will see a small wet spot in one of the pictures on the fabric because I had just cleaned the spot. Once dry the spot disappears.

——————

General things to know, please read:

* What you see in the images is exactly what you will receive; please inspect images and notes carefully before making a purchase. Any accessories, cables, or parts, if included, will be shown. Buyers are expected to do their own research with regards to proper operating requirements and/or compatibility of an item or part.

* At Resellery, we’re highly committed to customer satisfaction. We do our best to thoroughly test and inspect each item before listing. If you receive an item and find that something is not as described, please message us first!

* We offer 1-day handling time on most items, and ship FedEx for most items larger than a shoebox. Please check shipping method before ordering to PO Box or APO locations. Global shipping is fulfilled through ebay’s Global Shipping Program (GSP). Please contact them regarding global rates and/or policy.

* Shipping outside of the 48 contiguous US states will require an additional fee.

* We offer returns within 30 days of purchases on most of our listings, excluding items sold as-is or for repair.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, and thanks for looking!

B1285
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@prettyinplaid 

@green-night 

Just a clarification.  This issue has been discussed and debated at length on these threads.  The blues have been very clear that eBay considers the last estimated delivery date to be part of the listing.  As such when the last delivery date is not met and the seller missed their stated handling time, the situation IS a valid reason for a SNAD case!

From comments by blues they do not seem at all concerned with a seller using Shipper B when the listing states Shipper A - as long as the estimated delivery date is met AND the seller met their stated handling time.  Say a buyer selects expedited shipping via Shipper Q and pays an extra amount for that service.   IF the seller meets their handling time AND the item arrives by the estimated delivery date, but it was delivered by Shipper X, then eBay will not get involved.  There is no violation.

Shoot, there are very few areas or ways that a seller can exploit the "system" to his financial gain and over charge a customer - would you deny him that privilege?  I mean who cares if it pizzes off buyers, results in red donuts for shipping or negative feedback and ultimately lost sales?  Let the seller have his windfall!  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@affairwithvintage wrote:
Another update encase anyone is following...

I received a message containing this in his own words ""The actual cost of shipping these on my end was close to $350 after uship's service charge, insurance, and cost of materials and labor to protect and load the speakers.""

So now the standard shipping charge includes handling, service charges and insurance costs...

He FINALLY! gave me the contact info of the carriers and keeps telling me to give him a chance and is still offering a 150$ refund.....He also said they will be here in the morning, there will be two guys in the truck and that he can have them move them into my house(I have no porch but he forgot to ask me if there are any special delivery requirements)...

I just don't know how to get the point across to him and he just isn't getting the point of this. He never communicated any of these shipping details to me after I won or before he chose to put them up for bid. I also don't think he understands how uship works...the carrier he chose is just a broker and not the actually guy who will bring them here...

I am still not sure what to do about this, I am just so upset and I feel things would have been a LOT different if he had communicated aka keep me up to date on the details of the shipping. And after I found out the actually cost to ship them reimbursed me the difference, not keep telling me WHY he should keep the remainder of the cost.

Here is a copy of the description of the item.

In great working condition, all drivers are functioning. Fabric is fully intact. Mahogany cabinets are in good overall condition with a few spots that can be touched up with wood finish product. You will see a small wet spot in one of the pictures on the fabric because I had just cleaned the spot. Once dry the spot disappears.

——————

General things to know, please read:

* What you see in the images is exactly what you will receive; please inspect images and notes carefully before making a purchase. Any accessories, cables, or parts, if included, will be shown. Buyers are expected to do their own research with regards to proper operating requirements and/or compatibility of an item or part.

* At Resellery, we’re highly committed to customer satisfaction. We do our best to thoroughly test and inspect each item before listing. If you receive an item and find that something is not as described, please message us first!

* We offer 1-day handling time on most items, and ship FedEx for most items larger than a shoebox. Please check shipping method before ordering to PO Box or APO locations. Global shipping is fulfilled through ebay’s Global Shipping Program (GSP). Please contact them regarding global rates and/or policy.

* Shipping outside of the 48 contiguous US states will require an additional fee.

* We offer returns within 30 days of purchases on most of our listings, excluding items sold as-is or for repair.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, and thanks for looking!

B1285

First off, are you interested in getting the speakers or "getting your point across" to the seller?  I think that is cold hard, "bottom line" question one needs to answer for them self - BEFORE proceeding.

If you want the speakers then take the refund and move on, recognizing this seller is an idiot.  You can not "force" anyone in this world to behave they way you think they should (communications, shipping or refusing to ship, sending blocks of wood instead of speakers, etc.) - er unless you become some kind of fascist or dictator.  Life will be a whole lot easier when one removes their emotions from business dealings and applies cool calm logic.  The highlighted statements above, sure appear to be emotional.

However, if one is more interested in "teaching the seller a lesson" then one might have options.  No idea what was the sellers stated handling time, or if that showed up on the shipping tab of the listing?  No idea what was the last day of eBay's "estimated delivery".   BUT IF the seller missed both their stated handling time AND the item arrived AFTER the last estimated delivery date, then you have a 100% iron clad case of "Not As Described."  So in that situation, when you just are so emotional and mad at the seller and want to "get back" at them, then you file a NAD case with eBay and the seller will be required to provide return shipping for the speakers (another $350 cost on their end, IF they can find it).  Plus that shipping label will have to be provided with in a certain time frame.  So you hope the seller goes back on line to get bids on the shipping misses the deadline and you escalate the case to eBay who will close it in your favor, issuing you a full refund from his monies and you get to keep the speakers!  Then again, the seller "could" pay for return shipping and issue a full refund and you would have "taught him a lesson" by having to pay for shipping both ways.

So it is your choice.  Do you want the speakers?  or Do you want to "punish" the seller?

Let us know what you decide to do.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@prettyinplaid 

@green-night 

Just a clarification.  This issue has been discussed and debated at length on these threads.  The blues have been very clear that eBay considers the last estimated delivery date to be part of the listing.  As such when the last delivery date is not met and the seller missed their stated handling time, the situation IS a valid reason for a SNAD case!

We were talking about Paypal, not eBay. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Okay more updates...

First here is the item link https://www.ebay.com/itm/323664693647

It states that handling time varies but then states with in 1 day after payment clears..

So today's update...

They came to drop off the speakers in a Penske truck....they unloaded them and I just said to leave them on curb for now.....He then goes back and gets paperwork, I told him I do NOT want to sign as I did NOT arrange this shipping. Pretty much was take them back of leave them...he went and called the seller, words were said etc...he re wrote on the paper that I will not hold him responsible, i stated why would I? My issue isn't with you....

I get them inside and because the bottoms weren't protected one side of a speaker had a 5in piece of veneer tore off. I then test them to see if they are fully working and all drivers functioning.....One driver is dead/not working....

I haven't yet closed the not received case or opened a not as described. Like I told the shipper, I want the speakers and that is the reason I bought them....but at this point I am just done with them...
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I would call eBay and open a not as described case. The seller might be able to file an insurance claim, but that is up to them. 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Update.....

I have no idea what is going on with this....

I talked with a lady who was going to turn this into an item not as described case on Tuesday. I then got a message stating that because of the amount of the purchase  it has to go through a different department...

Every time I click on the case, it still states that "seller contacted customer support. awaiting response"...

I guess if I don't hear something the start of this week....I will try to call them back and see what is up...

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Another update....

ebay finally closed the item not received case in favor of the buyer. So sellers who want to ship via uship....ebay accepts their tracking system/etc...It is also not "right" but perfectly with ebay rules to charge 260$ extra for shipping plus exceed a stated one day handling...All it sets the seller up for is a serious negative feedback...

Now with that case closed, I can open a not as received case because of the defective speaker and shipping damage...

Lets see what happens now...

Just keeping this updated in hopes it helps another buyer/seller...

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Another update....

It has been the 3 days ebay requires before they can step in......

I wake up this morning with a message, that the seller accepted my return request and that a label has been provided....

I called ebay up and stated that these are not something I can drive to the post office....she stated did I look at the label...I said no because all I seen was his address....

She tells me, oh is the priority mail label not enough?

I was like, did you see what he charged me for shipping? How is a priority mail label enough? Plus he didn't ship them USPS...

I told here what about ebay money back guarantee? This seller has scammed me...now he sends a usps label! Just so I can't ask you to step in? **bleep**!

She stated that she has to send the seller a message to request that he arranges for the third party to pick up the items and has 5 days to do so? **bleep**! He just had the 3 you allotted!

I know get a message that he wants to work it out or whats my phone number to arrange shipping.....I am not responding...

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Keep all correspondence on eBay Messages. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply