cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling time question

If I offer one day handling time and someone buys an item on Monday, do I have to ship on Tuesday or do I have until Wednesday.  I mainly have this question about items that sell at 11 PM on Monday...do I have until Wednesday to ship or do I have to ship Tuesday?  

I have seen threads here where this question is addressed about weekend sales, but not when sale is on a business day and next day is a business day.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Handling time question

eBay doesn't need to respond. This information is already spelled out clearly in their basic Help pages.

Handling time is measured in business days—weekends and holidays don't count.

The handling-time clock begins when you receive payment from your buyer and ends when your carrier scans the package.

Each day ends at 11:59:59pm. In the case of 1-day handling, if an item is purchased on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday Pacific Time, it needs to have an acceptance scan by Monday at 11:59:59pm PT.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/calculating-shipping-costs-and-handling-time.html#m17-...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

My take would be 1 day means next day, so if they buy at 11PM on Monday, you have to ship Tuesday. If they buy at 12:05AM Tuesday (kind of still Monday night but not really) then you have til Wednesday.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I meant to mention that I rely on USPS pick up of my packages as I can't drive.  The real problem is when the 11 p.m. sale is the only sale that day and therefore I don't have a pick-up scheduled.  I can sometimes call the PO and get added to the pick-up schedule but that's not a sure thing.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

That's a tough situation to be in for the occasional overnight buy, but I think it means you can't really guarantee next day shipping. You take your chances if you offer it. I personally offer 2 day shipping but often (usually) ship the next day or even the same day. I am lucky that the PO is very close to my house.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@tide_redux wrote:

If I offer one day handling time and someone buys an item on Monday, do I have to ship on Tuesday or do I have until Wednesday.  I mainly have this question about items that sell at 11 PM on Monday...do I have until Wednesday to ship or do I have to ship Tuesday?  

I have seen threads here where this question is addressed about weekend sales, but not when sale is on a business day and next day is a business day.

Thanks in advance.

If you get a sale at 11 p.m. on Monday, you ship on Tuesday. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Luckily it does not happen that often...if it is a high priced item I will even resort to Uber to get to the Post Office and back.

A related question:  is the day of sale based on Pacific Time or the seller's time zone?  Ebay shows sale date based on Pacific Time but the sale actually occurred at 2 a.m. my time (Eastern).  For performance ratings, which date does eBay use?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@tide_redux wrote:

Luckily it does not happen that often...if it is a high priced item I will even resort to Uber to get to the Post Office and back.

A related question:  is the day of sale based on Pacific Time or the seller's time zone?  Ebay shows sale date based on Pacific Time but the sale actually occurred at 2 a.m. my time (Eastern).  For performance ratings, which date does eBay use?

It goes by pacific time which means your 2am sale actually has to ship that day 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I'm not sure the answer to that question, but you could just offer 2 day shipping time, then you are covered if you ship on Wednersday instead of Tuesday I changed my shipping times because I did not know the same question..

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@tide_redux wrote:

It goes by pacific time which means your 2am sale actually has to ship that day 

That's kind of crazy. It means you have to be thinking about time zones. Does this go for International sellers as well where the International Date Line might come into play?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Since I had to speak with eBay support about another issue (and wait time was less than a minute grin) I tried to drill down on these issues.

Per the support person I spoke with:

1.  Sale date/time for the purposes of performance ratings is based on the time zone of the seller.

2.  While the basic rule for one-day handling is you must ship within 24 hours (excluding non-business days) of purchase date/time, this is extended an additional 24 hours if the sale is "after business day hours" although I could not get a definition of end of "business hours" (5 p.m.? 6 p.m.?).  However, he definitely stated that a sale at 11 p.m. Monday had until 11 p.m. Wednesday to ship.  This was the key answer I needed as I usually tune out at 11 pm and as long as I receive notification of the sale before 11 pm I can schedule the PO pick up.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@tide_redux wrote:

Since I had to speak with eBay support about another issue (and wait time was less than a minute grin) I tried to drill down on these issues.

Per the support person I spoke with:

1.  Sale date/time for the purposes of performance ratings is based on the time zone of the seller.

2.  While the basic rule for one-day handling is you must ship within 24 hours (excluding non-business days) of purchase date/time, this is extended an additional 24 hours if the sale is "after business day hours" although I could not get a definition of end of "business hours" (5 p.m.? 6 p.m.?).  However, he definitely stated that a sale at 11 p.m. Monday had until 11 p.m. Wednesday to ship.  This was the key answer I needed as I usually tune out at 11 pm and as long as I receive notification of the sale before 11 pm I can schedule the PO pick up.

You were given incorrect information by the csr.  There is no 24 hour rule.  There is no "after business hours". We all wish there was and have asked for this to be changed but it's not.   You follow this advice and you could start seeing it affect your on time shipping metrics 

If a purchase is made before midnight pacific time it has to ship the very next day when you wake up.   If it's after midnight pacific time it can wait.   

And i I have no idea how international works 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Indeed, this is yet another case of customer service reps who are either misunderstanding the question, or making things up, or just telling the caller what they want to hear.  The eBay policies about on-time shipping make no reference to "24 hours" nor to "business hours."  Everything is in full business days (vs weekends/holidays) and is in Pacific time.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

So I called back again, got a different CSR, and was told the exact same thing as the first time, except she admitted to not having an answer to when "business hours" end.

What are the chances someone from eBay will respond in this thread and clarify?  I admit to not being very familiar with these topic-specific discussion boards and whether eBay participates "officially".

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

If you go to your page for shipping it should have the date you have to ship by.  It has to be shipped by midnight pacific time on the date stated in your eBay. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

eBay doesn't need to respond. This information is already spelled out clearly in their basic Help pages.

Handling time is measured in business days—weekends and holidays don't count.

The handling-time clock begins when you receive payment from your buyer and ends when your carrier scans the package.

Each day ends at 11:59:59pm. In the case of 1-day handling, if an item is purchased on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday Pacific Time, it needs to have an acceptance scan by Monday at 11:59:59pm PT.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/calculating-shipping-costs-and-handling-time.html#m17-...

Message 15 of 18
latest reply