cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had a situation I've been wondering about pop up today with paying for labels

I went to print a label today and there were no available funds due to three UPS label charges from packages I had shipped off several days ago deducting from my funds. They put me in the negative. First off, I hadn't realized that UPS charges get deducted out of funds instead of being added to your monthly invoice like Fedex. Is this correct... UPS is taken out of available funds within a week but Fedex is added to your invoice? USPS label charges are deducted immediately. I always thought before managed payments, both UPS and Fedex were added up on your monthly invoice and never taken out of your available funds(Paypal back then). 

Here is the big issue though... since there were no funds available, the only option it gave me to pay for a label was to use funds in Paypal. What if I didn't have funds in Paypal? I was lucky that I had funds in there from a payment that had nothing to do with Ebay, but if I didn't what the heck was I supposed to do? Is there supposed to be an option to use funds in the bank account where your payouts get transferred to? I also noticed a message for the negative amount that said those funds would soon be deducted from my account... are they talking about my connected bank account ? Or does that negative amount just sit there until a sale is made and funds come in to cover it? Never ran into this **bleep** with printing labels when it was Paypal .

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Had a situation I've been wondering about pop up today with paying for labels

FedEx is notorious for not charging fees at point of sale.  Many importers get caught on this when they accept a shipment and get billed a month later. And FE is nasty about unpaid bills.

UPS is more upfront and charges the label/import fees immediately.

If you have an account with UPS, that contract may supercede the immediate payment demand. Do you have an account with them or were those labels unusual one-off (three-off?) purchases.

What if I didn't have funds in Paypal?

Your PP account is backed by a bank account (which you have been transferring money to if you sell on eBay) or a credit card (more useful for buyers).

PP will take the money from one of those sources.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Had a situation I've been wondering about pop up today with paying for labels

I had the somewhat the same situation yesterday, When i went to my payments tab on seller hub, where all i should see is my payments from buyers, and pending/available funds, and payouts,  as of 12:48 yesterday they started listing shipping labels and deducting them from my pending funds. I have been on post pay and have gotten an invoice every month for FedEx and UPS.  My billing cycle is 15th to the 15th. So now i have some already paid that should have been in my April 15th invoice. Which is going to be difficult to ascertain if they are billed twice!  I contacted Ebay, and originally was told that this was normal, and it was managed payments phase 2, i had such a hard time understanding the rep, and the stuff she was saying was so inaccurate, (such as FedEx had to be paid immediately) I finally ended the call, and phoned back immediately, and got another rep that said what i was told was wrong, and they couldn't understand what was happening,  and escalated the matter to the next level.   

Anyone else run into this?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I do not have a UPS account, I just use Ebay system. I can't really rely on Paypal since the backup funding card is just a prepaid debit card that never has money on it. Before managed payments, the monthly invoice would attempt to withdraw from that card but get reversed due to no funds on it and then I would always just pay the invoice on my own time before the 15th. So is there no way to pay for a label if you don't have funds on Paypal?  Does managed payments allow you to put a card on file with the bank you have funds transferred to to at least allow you to use the bank account to pay for labels? Really frustrating to deal with, it just simply never happened with Paypal... I made a sale, money was there immediately to pay for USPS labels, and Fedex and UPS were billed on the invoice.... never got stuck wondering how to pay for a label. 

Also,  can anyone address how managed payments goes about treating any negative amounts with your funds?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It appears that eBay just changed things on us sellers AGAIN as part of "managed payments phase two." Up until this point all UPS and FedEx labels were INVOICED and paid out at the next billing cycle. NOW, they suddenly are showing up in "recent transactions!!" The problem? USPS deducts the cost of the label IMMEDIATELY and it shows up in transaction history. But I believe UPS and FedEx don't bill for the label until it has been delivered (unless this will change now.) I sure hope that is the case because this will cause nothing but headaches trying to keep records of incoming and outgoing funds straight now. Nice of eBay to let us know.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

So is there no way to pay for a label if you don't have funds on Paypal?

Add a CREDIT card or a chequing account that will have money in it.

In my opinion, all PP accounts should be backed with credit cards since they (almost) cannot be overdrawn and if you are Disputing a purchase, having a card attached gives you a third level of Buyer Protection. (eBay MBG, PP Buyer Protection, card chargeback program)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply