cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a $1,000 Shipping Charge from Ebay/FED-X using Ebay's Label Platform

What a SHOCK...I placed the exact shipping weight and dimensions (Even over estimated) on Ebay's Label Printing page...Fed-X pick-up...and then 2 weeks later after delivery..received a $1,000 bill for shipping when it was $200.

It was for a 65" Big Screen TV in it's own manufactured box.....WHAT A JOKE...I can't pay...and Ebay tells me I should acquaint myself with Fed-X's policies!!!     Ain't that rich?!   

After all these years, I will more than likely be suspended.....

"It's a Mere Moment in a Man's Life, between the All Star game and the Old-Timer's game." Vin Scully
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Got a $1,000 Shipping Charge from Ebay/FED-X using Ebay's Label Platform

$1000 looks more like a 2-Day rate rather than ground. What rate does FedEx give you online? Did they give you any info on how they arrived at the higher price?

Also the rate you checked in the screen shot is for up to 70 lbs and the item was over 80 lbs. That's going to make a difference but I'd be surprised if it's that much of a difference.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@dreambo wrote:

Ebay tells me I should acquaint myself with Fed-X's policies!

I notice on the page you posted that you item was 63" x 40" x 7" and weighed 80 pounds.  So your length + girth is 157". 

According to the Fedex's link below, there appears to be a Dimension surcharge for anything with one side longer that 48", an Overweight surcharge for anything over 70 pounds, and an Oversize surcharge for anything with length + girth over 130". 

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/current-rates/other-changes.html

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

According to the Fedex's link below, there appears to be a Dimension surcharge for anything with one side longer that 48", an Overweight surcharge for anything over 70 pounds, and an Oversize surcharge for anything with length + girth over 130". 

Then why is the correct price not displayed when the information is supplied during the label printing process? 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

That is absolutely insane! I shipped a car on a transport carrier from west to east for $100 more! I sure hope you can get this overpriced shipping charges taken care of..it almost sounds like FedEx is trying to recoup the tourney payout for D.J.! Gosh, keep us posted?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

A follow-up...I used the Manufacturer's dimensions "Published" of the TV. And yet went OVER those amounts just to be safe..and the total dollar amount was $234...Then without any communication  I get a charge from Ebay for $1,027.

Ebay says, ther charges are correct....Well, maybe so...but not with me.

"It's a Mere Moment in a Man's Life, between the All Star game and the Old-Timer's game." Vin Scully
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Why is right. Ebay does not reflect anything accurate on the label page. They send me an email saying , "You should familiarize yourself with Fed-x policies in shipping."  

Maybe Ebay should? Ya think? It doesn't NOT reflect any coherent, reliable charges based on dimensions and weight...then you get a bill for 4 times greater than what was disclosed to print out a label...all that with NO communication.

I will pay $300...but NOT $1,000...and ebay can bring me to collections, sue me or suspend me...I guess after 25 years here...I am going to be expendable.

Oh an to you Blog "Moderator" who sends me emails stating I should not mention these shipping issues...here's another piece of information you can swallow

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Over sized packages can trigger a real nasty bill.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Manufacturer sizing typically would be for the TV OUT OF THE BOX (both size and weight). not WITH THE BOX. The box with packing could easily add 12" all sides and 20 lbs. 

Bottom line, you were guessing at the additional size and weight, and must not have added enough. You could have been just 'below' the thresholds, and once the real numbers came in, put you over in size and weight. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Did you save a copy of the label or the FedEx label purchase?  It would show if it was labelled FedEx Ground ($300) or FedEx 2-day ($1000). But you say you were only charged less than $300 when you printed the label which would imply FedEx Ground (so if it printed FedEx 2-day by mistake, then that would eBay's  fault). Another possibility is that at that time, eBay offered a hug discount of FedEx 2-day which you selected, but later FedEx didn't honor the huge discount. A few months ago,  I remember shipping FedEx 2-day across the country because eBay offered a 78% discount on FedEx 2-day at that time. I saved a copy of the FedEx label purchase showing the discount just in case. The eBay shipping calculator seems to be correct.  I temporarily revised one of my own listings to show the the same shipping you had: 80 lbs, 63x40x7, FedEx Ground and 2-day. For shipments from California to New York, it was $326 for FedEx Ground and $955 for 2-day.  FedEx Ground never exceeded $700 even to Alaska or Hawaii.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I believe FedEx charges extra for items without packaging since they require special handling (manufacturers box isn’t proper shipping packaging).

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Over sized packages can trigger a real nasty bill.

A nasty bill is just fine if it is displayed when calculating the shipping.  Weight and size dimensions are input at the time of calculation, and should be displayed accordingly along with any surcharges for oversized, really oversized,  and we think we didn't get enough money from you ...so HERE....

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I was NOT guessing...The manufacturer PUBLISHES actual SHIPPING WEIGHT including BOX

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

• Yes, I do have a copy of the shipping totals...Ebay asked me not to included those toals again on this BLOG..

I am NOT paying the over charge...to the extent of losing my account so be it...they bring me to collections..so be it

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Yes, You have to research all the policies with this carrier as they slap on all kinds of surcharges for this that and other stuff. One they seem to always hit you with is a residential surcharge because they primarily want to do business with Business addresses not home addresses. On Ebay’s Side their print out page needs to be ALOT AND I MEAN A lot more transparent about these charges and they need to come up with a software revamp of this to show what these charges are for each shipment. That’s just my opinion but I just got sucked into this with 22 packages and I am sure all of them are going to be a lot more than what I was shown I paid. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply