cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program a Scam

GSP may be great for the Seller, but it's hell for the Purchaser. Their shipping is notoriously slow when compared to USPS. They charge the Buyer for 'import duties' that otherwise may not need to be paid. A real rip off.

In-fact, I normally avoid listings that use the GPS service as it's needlessly slow and costly. A money grab by e-Bay.

In a recent purchase, I paid Pitney Bowes $55.17 for "import duties,"  Although the item imported into Canada was duty free. As the total amount of the item was refunded by the Seller, today I received a refund from Pitney Bowes (GSP "import duties).

The amount refunded was $35.74 from Pitney Bowes and another refund from e-Bay for $19.43? One might ask why $19.43 of my original payment was diverted to e-Bay for "import duties" without my knowledge. Clearly this had nothing to do with "import duties" at all and was a kick-back to e-Bay. What a scam!

I'm tempted to press fraud charges. It's not like they don't charge the Seller enough, they have to scam the Buyer as well!

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Global Shipping Program a Scam

Like I mentioned, I paid Pitney Bowes $55.17 for "import duties,"  Tthe item imported into Canada was duty free. I assume that HST was collected, as it was declared. This may have not been required if it was shipped USPS.

As the total amount of the item was refunded by the Seller, today I received a refund from Pitney Bowes (GSP "import duties). The amount refunded was $35.74 from Pitney Bowes and another refund from e-Bay for $19.43? Why PB didn't make the total refund is beyond me, as originally collected 100% of the orifinal amount.

Unless it is a n item over $100 (and sometimes even more), Canada Customs does not usually collect HST and Duty. They are too many packages and if it is collected, it is done at the door by Canada Post. This is a lot of work that would vurden the system, so they usually let small items slide.

If the GSP is used, Canada Customs has no choice. A declaration is made and it must be processed. Tax and Dutyies are collected as appropriate.

From a Customers viewpoint shipment via USPS usually only requires paying the Seller shipping fees. If GSP is involved, the Seller pays:

1. Seller's shipping fees;

2. GSP 'import charges' (tax, duty, handling fees, e-Bay kickback fees); and

3. GSP shipping costs.

Everyone has their hand out. Added to this is transport time in the USPS/UPS system (Seller), time in the GSP shipping center, time in Customs, transfer to Canada Post. Articles take at least twice as long to arrive and the Customer pays through the nose. Why would any Buyer elect this???  Not good business...

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

What your customers are saying, doesn't make sence. I've ordered a number of items from the U.S. (and other countries )and have not been charged tax or a customs fee by Canada Post. If I used the GSP additional fees couldn't be avoided.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@bonjouramiwrote:

'PayPal offers Seller protection'..THATS FUNNY!

Paypal offers seller protection if you follow the guidelines.

It does not cover buyer or seller bad judgment or negligence

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

@mg152wrote:
I offer direct shipping to Canada & Australia. I’ve had several buyers buy low cost items through GSP. I asked them why they didn’t choose to have me ship direct to them & they all said GSP was cheaper than my shipping. I charge actual shipping costs. Weird!

Australia is one of the countries which does not charge customs duties for most incoming packages,dont recall the cutoff ,but it is quite lenient.

Also GSP has a larger size limit than  USPS size limit  ,depends on what they buy,it would have to be GSP or ocean freight,and GSP is cheaper and faster. 

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

@wbell01wrote:

Unless it is a n item over $100 (and sometimes even more), Canada Customs does not usually collect HST and Duty. They are too many packages and if it is collected, it is done at the door by Canada Post. This is a lot of work that would vurden the system, so they usually let small items slide.

Canada is $20. 

You are right to a degree - whether or not Customs decides to utilize the manpower involved to collect the import fees on such a small amount is at their discretion.  That's why the usually don't collect.  It's not cost effective.  However, that doesn't mean that it isn't due and owing.

Pitney Bowes cannot do that.  They aren't Canadian government.  They are licensed exporters and thus will abide by Canada's laws.  

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Canada Customs has a job to do. They simply can't operate if every package that was under $100 was charged HST/Duty. The process involves Canada Post delivering the package to the door and collecting the fees. This is impractical and the system would crash. That's why it's not done. This can be likened to traffic speeds. The police could stop and charge every person going over the speed limit. They don't because it's impractical.

Even some USPS parcels over $100 are cleared without collection. You are however correct, this is at the discretion of Canada Customs.

Personally, I live in the real world. If a shipment is sent to me and it's a $30 item and Canada Post wishes to collect, I'm happy to give them a credit card and pay the $4.50 tax. Duty is never an issue with the free trade agreement, but Mr. Trump may yet change all that and I'll buy elsewhere. Chances are however, this will not happen.

With the GSP, there is a 100% chance that these fees will be paid (at the Buyers expense). What I don't like is to pay these fees through the GSP with all the added costs involved (including a kick-back to e-bay which in my opinion gets enough money out of a transaction as it is). The customer is the one that foots the bill, so they should have the choice (imo).

The Seller can offer to ship USPS and charge insurance. I would still get the item at half the cost and in half the time that if the Seller elected to ship through the GSP.

I am not so foolish as to believe that I'm the only international buyer that has figured this out. Thanks for your feedback.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

One of the main points about the use of the GSP is that the buyer is the one who ultimately pays the cost of shipping, not the seller.
I have repeatedly asked eBay to add an option on checkout to have  the GSP waived and offer another method of shipping. There should be a dropdown or a method to request as you're checking out to change from the GSP. Especially if you're a buyer with a good rating. But since ther is no option available, we're stuck with a system for which we we have to pay and we don't get our money's worth.
Because of that, I will continue to boycott sellers who use the GSP and always choose another seeler who offers a more open shipping method.
It would appear that eBay does not listen to any negative feedback about the GSP.

Shame on eBay.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@nauimanwrote:

One of the main points about the use of the GSP is that the buyer is the one who ultimately pays the cost of shipping, not the seller.
I have repeatedly asked eBay to add an option on checkout to have  the GSP waived and offer another method of shipping. There should be a dropdown or a method to request as you're checking out to change from the GSP. Especially if you're a buyer with a good rating. But since ther is no option available, we're stuck with a system for which we we have to pay and we don't get our money's worth.
Because of that, I will continue to boycott sellers who use the GSP and always choose another seeler who offers a more open shipping method.
It would appear that eBay does not listen to any negative feedback about the GSP.

Shame on eBay.

What you have requested is unreasonable and will never happen. eBay should absolutely NOT allow the buyer to control shipping this way. The GSP is voluntary and it’s up to the seller to enroll and use it. It’s your right to buy from sellers who don’t use it. There is nothing wrong with the current system and with immediate payment required, there is really no way to make the change you want because you cannot pay if there is no shipping cost specified. You can’t pay for the item price only and send the request at the same time. So what you propose will not work. You can always contact the seller before you buy and ask them if they will ship directly to you. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I agree!

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

It's wrong for the Buyer to pay "import duty fees" that are not used for duties at all. Money kicked-back to e-bay is obtained by Fraud. That is something I cannot condone. Nor would I be a party (Seller) to such an offence.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Agreed, it's a miserable and overpriced service.  The only advantage is to Ebay's profit margin. 

I encounter it mostly as a buyer of items listed in the UK.  The shipping charge is several times as much as for Royal Mail (which is also tracked), and the tracking for GSP is a joke.  They hand the package off between multiple shippers, mostly obscure but probably offering a cut rate to Ebay.  There are no meaningful tracking entries.  Instead, the GSP fills your inbox with useless email entitled "Important Information about your Item", and saying something like it's been handed from one subcontractor to another.  The entire process takes at least twice as long as a direct shipment.

I now ask the seller if they can ship directly; if they insist on using the GSP I don't purchase the item.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

It is a scam, and more that that, it's the worst shpping method out there.  SHipping is much slower and muchmore expensive.  The two basic measures that you want imporved from a shipping service, were worsened by this program.   I've been checking the mailbox for an item, after buying it a week earlier, only to get an email saying "Good news! Your item shipped! " What a crock.   And the costs are terrible.  

I now try to avoid buying items that use the GPS. GBS more like it. 

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Has anyone tried Easyship rather than Ebay's Global Shipping?

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Suggestion to Canadians. If you see an item you like, contact the seller and tell him that you would have bid, but for the GPS requirement. GPS slows down shipments to fill trucks in Kentucky, and send the truck to canada for customs inspection as a commercial shipment. Saves GPS money in shipping over the stated amount in the auction, and they normally keep the customs fee, not collected by CBSA.And if not collected, why does a buyer not get a rebate from GPS. The seller knows nothing of this, and Paypal has two invoices, one for the item and the other for GPS shipping and customs. 

Gonna try to mess with this, use Freedom of Information on the Canadian customs to see what was the value of GPS shipments in say 2017 and how much duties they collected. 

Question, who is responsible for damages inshipment, given that an item is given to GPS, who immediately uses the USPS tosend it to GPS Kentucky, who trucks it to Canada, for delivery by CanadaPost?

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Yes. I've been charged duty on duty free items. GSP is a SCAM. In Canada this is a criminal offense *theft, theft by conversion and fraud." It's just a matter of time before someone gets charged...

Message 30 of 33
latest reply