cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Return Request from a Buyer

Greetings eBay Community,

I am a new eBay seller and have received my first return request.  Currently, I have the No Return policy listed on all of my items.  The buyer said the item she purchased was beautiful and versatile, but slipped of her foot/heel - so she would not be able to wear them.  So, of course the question becomes, do I return them or do I not?  Listed below are the things that I am taking into consideration, naturally.  Please feel free to share any  feedback/experiences you may have.  Thanks in advance.

No Return Policy - do you stand on that - especially in this case where it is related to fit not the product

Customer Satisfaction  - Level of importance

Seller Ratings - Impact

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@bycborn2shop wrote:

Greetings eBay Community,

I am a new eBay seller and have received my first return request.  Currently, I have the No Return policy listed on all of my items.  The buyer said the item she purchased was beautiful and versatile, but slipped of her foot/heel - so she would not be able to wear them.  So, of course the question becomes, do I return them or do I not?  Listed below are the things that I am taking into consideration, naturally.  Please feel free to share any  feedback/experiences you may have.  Thanks in advance.

No Return Policy - do you stand on that - especially in this case where it is related to fit not the product

Customer Satisfaction  - Level of importance

Seller Ratings - Impact

All the buyer has to do is to state the item is "not as described" and your return policy is overridden by eBay MBG.  Tell the buyer that you will allow the return and to please ship them with tracking to protect both parties and you will refund the original purchase price (including the original shipping) when it is received.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I realize I have a return policy, but I do not refund the original shipping back on  a remorse return.   This seller is being very generous already to even accept a remorse return, since they don't have a return policy.  It doesn't seem fair that they also must pay that shipping cost.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

no returns does not mean no refunds 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I realize I have a return policy, but I do not refund the original shipping back on  a remorse return.   This seller is being very generous already to even accept a remorse return, since they don't have a return policy.  It doesn't seem fair that they also must pay that shipping cost.

I guess I wasn't clear, I suggested they ask the buyer to ship it back, not that the seller supply a label for the buyer to ship it back.  We both know that the many buyers, when push comes to shove, will attempt to get the seller to pay shipping on a remorse return.

If the seller is polite about it, the buyer may just pay the return shipping as they should.  Don't pick a fight until the other side throws a punch.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks all, for your responses thus far keep them coming:)  So, based on everything that I am reading thus far, it appears that I should air on the side of granting a refund (regardless of the type of refund selected) to this buyer???? 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

...and you will refund the original purchase price (including the original shipping) when it is received.

This is the statement I was referring to.  I thought you meant the seller will refund the original shipping on the item back to the buyer.    I wasn't talking about the return shipping cost.

For my remorse returns as a seller, I pay neither.   The only time I am stuck paying any of the shipping is if I listed as free shipping, and then I am out that initial cost to ship.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, ESPECIALLY if the buyer is willing to pay the return shipping on them 🙂

Usually, they just file a snad (without contacting you) and you get to pay the return shipping AND refund the original shipping. You may still end up in this bucket. Either way, take them back it is the best customer service you can provide when something doesn't work out for the buyer. I wouldn't worry about the seller rating thing. If you provide solid products and good service after the sale the rest works itself out.

Cheers
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You have a no return policy and the buyer already stated the item simply doesn’t fit her (remorse return reason). She probably won’t make up something to force a return and even if she does, eBay can review her message to you showing remorse so they can use that info to see she is changing her story. 

If I list as no return, I usually stick to it. Most of my items have a return policy, but some items I list as no returns (for various reasons). It’s really up to you if you accept or not. eBay won’t force you in this case. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply