cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Class package and weight display

When I am sending a First Class package less than 15 ( or 16 oz ? now )  I see ebay offers a rate

that looks like a flat rate, and also an option for a calculated one. I choose the flat rate and the label does

not allow any entry of actual weight, and the label prints with  0lbs, 0 oz.. I asked at the post office

and the clerk told me if it matches what you would get when you calculate it, then it's ok.

I went with that and had not been having problems with my shipments. Then I had one clerk refuse

my package because she said it didn't show the weight. I took it to another post office in the city

and it was accepted without question.

Why can the weight not be entered on these labels? If it doesn't matter and there is some algorithm

basis for an agreement with the post office on these type of packages why did I get one refused?

Maybe it was just this one clerk being nasty and officious and making up an excuse to give me a hard time,

I wouldn't rule that out.

I compliment most of the postal clerks out there and thank them for their good work during this difficult time.

The vast majority of them are helpful and professional.

sqid98

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: First Class package and weight display

This is what I am talking about. It offers this rate without forcing to enter any weight dimensions.

You can buy this label with no further info.  Is it based on some assumed weight and size?

I checked the zone charts and it matches for a weight range, given the constraints for 1st class package.

Then it shows the 0 oz if I buy it , instead of , say, the upper limit of the weight range.

If I add more bubble wrap to the package with custom calculation then of course the price

goes up because it's out of the range of the associated with the no calculation option.

So why does ebay do this when it's so easy to go out of the range? Or is this some structured discount

where USPS just accepts ebay 1st class with some expanded range based on ebay's discount agreement

with them. I have to go begging to get any clarity on this, as shown above, ebay's response sheds no light.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@sqid98-half 

In your screen shot there is a weight stated  of 1 oz. (but no  package size but needed  information) hence a label cost of $2.45.  If  you added extra weight from packing  material (bubble wrap, etc.) and have a new (greater weight) all you do click on the update button and add the new weight and package size.

It is always a good thing to  weigh  your package (suggest you weigh it more than once) with all items that will be shipped (item, bubble wrap, box/envelope, label, etc..  Then buy your label.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Your screen shot shows a weight of 1 ounce, and a postage cost of $2.93 which is the eBay postage to ship it to Zone 6.  It is not "some structured discount where USPS just accepts ebay 1st class with some expanded range based on ebay's discount agreement  with them".

As your own experience has shown, a label showing no weight can be rejected at the PO.  So be sure to correct this. Enter the correct weight and approximate dimensions.  Postage cost is the same for any weight up to 4 ounces.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Postage cost is the same for any weight up to 4 ounces.

Ok that's what I was looking for, but it would still only show 1 oz if you buy the label as is..

and it does let you do this. Then duly noted, it shows 0 lbs 1 oz.. which is inaccurate according

to what you have stated. I was not correct previously, it was not rejected due to 0 weight, but due to the

printed label saying  " 0lb  1oz " which it was clearly over. In other words why don't they just put 4 oz.. or up to 4 oz. It' s confusing because it's not logical at all to me.  It's not at all obvious or even easy to find any corroboration

of your answer about the up to 4 oz condition as well , and certainly ebay themselves could not come up with this

explanation. I don't doubt what you have said, but it remains unknown where you get this information,

and you did not provide a reference either.

If you substitute a new weight then it wants the dimensions as well, if I remember correctly on

how the dialog has behaved in  the past. Since I sometimes ship envelopes but over the 3/4" inch thickness

as I can see, but any measurement of thickness is bound to be inaccurate due to it being an enevelope

after all, and it can be compressed by a 1/4" at least by even handling it

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

The measurements don't have to be precise. I'm pretty sure you can only enter whole numbers anyway, not fractions or decimals.

Here's the basic USPS rates publication.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 20 of 20
latest reply