cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing claim for damage with USPS when using Ground Advantage

I am supposedly insured up to $100 for Ground Advantage but when I tried to file claim the website stated not elegible.   Anyone filed a claim for GA?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

They do not have included insurance. That is if you ship priority mail in one of their fixed rate envelopes or boxes. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique Ground Advantage packages do have $100 of insurance included. Here's a screenshot from the USPS website on the Ground Advantage service (https://www.usps.com/ship/ground-advantage.htm)

jnwaite1_0-1698278832019.png

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

At what point do you get the "not eligible" message? I just tried to initiate claim for a Ground Advantage package that I shipped last month (and was successfully delivered), just to see if I get the same message as you did. I was able to get all the way through to right before clicking the final submission button (which I did not do) without any issues. 

What is the reason you provided online for filing the claim? Different reasons have different time periods in which you can file. For example, a lost package claim cannot be filed until 14 days after the shipping date. For other reasons (damage, missing contents), Priority Mail claims cannot be filed until 7 days after the shipping date, so I imagine the same would be true for Ground Advantage.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I have been able to file two claims for them losing my ground Advantage packages and both of them paid me. I've never tried to file for them damaging a package before though.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@jnwaite1 

thank you for the information. I did not know that, as FC Mail, and Ground never did. Appreciate the info. Very good to know. Again, THANKS

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Were you able to comply with the requirements?

Proof of Damage or Partial Loss of Contents

You must retain any damaged item, packaging, and all contents until the claim is resolved. If you receive notification from the Postal Service, you will be required to bring the item, packaging, and all contents to a Post Office.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Just curious, how long did you have to wait before filing the lost package claims? If I'm reading the USPS website right, it seems to say you have to wait at least 45 days before you file a claim for Ground Advantage, but I was under the impression it should actually only be a 15 day waiting period.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

It could have possibly been 45 days for both of the packages I'm not sure. I wasn't even aware that either of them was lost until the buyer reached out to me in both cases way later. It seems like it was maybe more than 30 but less than 45 if I had to guess but it could have been more than 45. Sorry I can't answer your question better.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

The way I read the USPS website is the filing period for a lost Ground Advantage package should be no sooner than 15 days and no later than 60 days. The only place where "Ground Advantage" is specifically mentioned is for APO/FPO/DPO shipments. In those cases, the filing period is no sooner than 45 days and no later than 1 year, but the OP never mentioned their package was shipped to one of these types of addresses. The timeframe for "Insured Mail", which should include Domestic Ground Advantage packages with the $100 included insurance, is the same as for Priority Mail (no sooner than 15 days, no later than 60 days). 

You can read the relevant section of DIMM 609 here:

609 Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage | Postal Explorer (usps.com)

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

That part is always so confusing to me bc how can I force a buyer to bring the contents of the damaged package to the post office for me? That’s just ridiculous. I feel like photos should suffice bc what if the buyer refuses to bring the package into the post office for me (understandably refuses)

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@vitame_84 wrote:

That part is always so confusing to me bc how can I force a buyer to bring the contents of the damaged package to the post office for me? That’s just ridiculous. I feel like photos should suffice bc what if the buyer refuses to bring the package into the post office for me (understandably refuses)

They are basically never going to actually ask that over $100 of insurance, unless you have a large history of claims.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

you have to call them and they will send you a claim form.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

not true you have to call them and they will send you a claim form.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

That is kinda vague as who is the "YOU" the buyer or seller?

so does that mean the responsibility is with the buyer to file the claim and present the items for inspection,since he is in possession of it, and if the buyer fails to do so the claim denied? Or does it mean that the buyer is to pay to return the damaged(insured as well) items back to the seller so they can properly file the claim as required?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply