cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex Supplemental service fees of 900$ for shipping a 65 inch tv

I sold an oled 65 inch tv and punched in the dimensions 64x46x10 in and was quoted 300$ with fedex home delivery. I was happy with the sale until i received the invoice. Weight of tv is 70 lb as per lg website. https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65E6P-oled-4k-tv

Got this month's invoice and it says that there is an additional 875$ as ‘Unauthorized Oversize’ fee.  And when i disputed, fedex replied through ebay that they it exceeded home delivery service guidelines and they charged based on dimensional weight of 53. 

I dont know if i should blame ebay for fedex. ebay did quote me 300$ for the above dimensions and have fedex tracking number and email from ebay to prove the quote. The quote can be off by few dollars and i can agree if i was charged a little more than 300$. but was charged an additional 875$.

Ebay customer service rep said that all they can do is educate me on dimensional weight and sent me a link. What are my options. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

You are not the first person to be hit by FedEx with after shipment charges. Remember the eBay quote is only an estimate. If I was to use FedEx there is NO WAY I would ever purchase the postage through eBay. There is probably little eBay is going to do to help you they will simply state this is between you and FedEx. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

They may have a lower size limit on home deliveries.  I would call Fedex on Monday and see if you can speak with a supervisor.  That is a bit much.   Shipping is getting "dangerous" with all the out of the blue charges.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

it's not up to ebay to determine what FEDEX charges... regardless of what the shipping calculator says...

also, the size and weight of the tv isn't what's used to calculate the fee... it's the size and weight of the properly prepared and packed package...

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

This will be hard to win, especially since you didn't purchase the label directly from the carrier, but your only possible recourse is to call and march it up the support food chain.  Sometimes they'll grant a goodwill exception, usually not.

It's expensive to ship, and getting more expensive with 5% carrier rate increases every year.  Amazon and others with national warehouse networks have created a buyer expectation that anything should be delivered same or next day with free shipping.  It just doesn't work that way when you're shipping your used 65" TV.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@bimmerpc1 wrote:

It just doesn't work that way when you're shipping your used 65" TV.

Yes, indeed; the costs being batted around here are comparable to what you can pay for a new 65" flatscreen at Walmart these days. 

Costs aside, you're on the hook for a full refund, either with or without getting the item back first, if the buyer claims shipping damage when it arrives. That's the sort of thing that I would sell as Local Pickup Only, no shipping offered.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Sounds to me like dimensional weight kicked in

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I could buy one cheaper at Costco with free delivery for that price. Educate me, right.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

When you are dealing with a package the size and weight of an elephant FED EX can be very very expensive.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

You fix it by NOT using FedEx anymore! Every other time I used that option, the charges were higher than quoted.

UPS or USPS or nothing. That's how I ship. I only sell products around those models.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

the worst case your options are protect yourself from the unfair charges about to unfold 

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I have had the same experience with Fedex.  We sell Bee hive supplies and the items we ship in pre-ordered boxes all weigh pretty much the same, within a couple ounces.  Was checking our invoices one day and was starting to see supplemental Fedex fees of 3 times what it use to be.  They were posting the weight on the invoice at 3 times higher that what my scales said. Not every shipment but enough to cost about $100 extra over a couple of months.  Figuring that I would probably just beat my head against the wall trying to correct this I decided to keep using Fedex on eBay but taking the packages directly to the Fedex store and have them print me a receipt showing the weight.  That way if it ever happens again, I will have proof that their own store scales and my scales are in sync.  This only started happening after things slowed down due to the Covid-19 spread.  My thinking is that a little bit here and a little bit there and Fedex has made a bundle on extra charges. Maybe they were hedging their bets that not everyone would notice and who knows how many 10's of thousands of shipments have been overcharged and Fedex makes a mint.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Ouch ouch ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!  pick up only on something that large and heavy. 

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Bad idea to sell things like this on eBay. Now if the customer decides to return it (item not as described... reason for return: they are cheaper at costco), you will end up paying $300 or $900 to get it back. 

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

+

Message 15 of 35
latest reply