cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEX Fraud

I made a Fedex shipping lablel using ebay and quoted just $50 ,

Package original size was exactly 27" x 27" x 27"  ( I BOUGHT THE SAME SIZE BOX FROM FEDEX )

I was keep watching the tracking .. they changed the package size in the tracking from 27x27x27 to 28x27x27 after days after I checked the changed it to 29x28x28 .. finally once package reached to its distination it became 30x29x29

I don't know maybe my box was made of bubble gum or it was magical self expanding box .. and finally they charged me $150 instead of $50 .. isn't it a FRAUD !?

I have receipt for the box how the size increased to 30" from 27" ?!@

I can't get away with this .. $100 extra charge for WHAT !!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

FedEX Fraud

Ever hear of dimensional weight?

http://shippingeasy.com/dimensional-weight-calculator/

Sounds about right to me.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

I made a Fedex shipping lablel using ebay and quoted just $50                @dyspraxia

What do you mean by "and quoted just $50"? That the estimated shipping charge on the eBay label page when you created the label was $50, or that you charged the buyer $50?

Package original size was exactly 27" x 27" x 27"  ( I BOUGHT THE SAME SIZE BOX FROM FEDEX )!

You bought a box from a FedEx Store that was exactly 27" x 27" x 27"?

Not 27½" x 27½" x 27½"? (a half inch matters)

You didn't say how much it weighed, what FedEx Service you used (Ground/Express/Smartpost*), or where it was shipped from and to (zipcodes important for zone and and Delivery Area Surcharge determinations.)

*The eBay FedEx label flow would have prevented you from creating a Smartpost label for a package that size unless you fudged the pkg dimensions down a lot so probably unlikely it was Smartpost.

If you didn't use the correct actual package dimensions when you created the label and used something like 12" x 12" x 12" then we have the answer for the upcharge right there.

As phcd pointed out in the previous post, dimensional weight considerations are critical. A 27x27x27 box ships at a dimensional weight of  27x27x27/166 = 119 pounds if shipped FedEx Ground through eBay labels, or 27x27x27x139 = 142 pound if shipped via FedEx Express services  through eBay labels.

If all those guesses are off base, then maybe there was a FedEx error. It does happen at times. High speed automated scanners and scales are not infallible. If that is the case then it's time to see about getting the overcharge corrected.

Provide the following info:

• Actual package Weight
  • Actual accurate package Dimensions
  • Origin zip code
  • Destination zip code
  • Destination commercial or residential?
  • Date of the shipment? (to select correct fuel surcharge)
  • Service used (Ground/Home Delivery/SmartPost)
  • Amounts of any other addons like Signature Reqd, insurance, handling fee, etc
  • Anything non-standard about the package? Not boxed, is a long cylinder, in a crate, etc.
  • Dropped off at FedEx location or scheduled pickup?
  • What was estimated shipping amount at label creation time?
  • What was the exact charge and the charged weight and dimensions on the eBay invoice?
  • Were there additional charges on the eBay invoice? If so, what and how much?
  • How much exactly was the buyer charged?
  • Any other relevant information.

Then an accurate determination of what the charges should have been and an educated guess about why it may have been overcharged made, and if actually overcharged possibly some advice on how to pursue a credit can be offered.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

You didn't get my point

My point is .. How this is possible that an original FEDEX Box which has measurements of 28x28x28 for example turning into 30x30x30 during the transportation, they changed it a few times .. Box size doesn't Increase .. box has fixed size .. why they didn't count it as 25x25x25 instead .. as you already explained even an inch matters , so they play with measurements and extra charging ..
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

I totally got your point, but you didn't get MY point - all you are focusing on is the pkg size.

Box sizes CAN increase. If one side of a box gets crushed, the measured dimensions will increase.

Here's a little 10 x 10 x 3 1/4" box that became a 12 x 12 x 3 1 /14" box when I dropped something on 1 edge. Grew by 20% in length and width.

10x10x3_box_annot_400x300.jpg  which became

10x10x3_box_smashed_annot_400x300.jpg

That can be even more prounounced with a larger box like your 27x27x27 box, and not end up with torn sides like this cheap Chinese cardboard box I used for this demo.

Your box would only have to crush vertically maybe 6 inches to bulge out 3" on that end, and become a 30" x 30" x 27" box. If the other end got squished sideways causing the top to bulge it could become a 30"x30"x29" box (max dimensions anywhere on the box are what is measured) If your 27x27x27 box was actually closer to 27½ x 27½ x 27½ when it started, scans along the way could have indicated 28" on some dims (like the first number you quoted) due to rounding, and then maybe it go squashed and other scans reflected that.

If that box was thin walled or not well supported internally with padding, fill,or bracing it easily could have smushed that amount.

Not saying that's what happened, and as I stated, FedEx can and does make mistakes.

My POINT is that you need to try to figure out what happened. Repeating that "the package grew" isn't heading in that direction (it's only a possible piece of information).

Provide the detailed information I asked for so we can see EXACTLY what it should have cost (to rule out any errors on your part),  determine if FedEx goofed, and if so help you chase a refund.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

Thanks for your time and all the explanation .. you are absolutely right and I will appreciate your help and the time you are spending to help me ...
Package received in same condition as it was, wasn't crushed .. I am going to Fedex head office here and I will speak with manager ...

Again thank you very much for the information and help ..
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

The crushed box theory was a shot in the dark, but can be a real concern.

In the distant past when I had a few billing issues with FedEx (erroneous DAS charges, etc), they took care of it immediately on the phone. But that was over 10 years ago, and things of course change.

FedEx people are pretty good, and aren't stubborn and illogical like eBay CS are on these issues, but are still useless if you printed the FedEx label thought eBay labels.

Wish you good luck with FedEx.

ADDENDUM: Just reread your OP. You shipped via eBay labels. FedEx isn't going to help you and can't. It's eBay's account and FedEx can't credit you, and have no way to credit you through eBay. Think you  are going to have to pursue a credit through eBay CS (who will point fingers back at FedEx). Been there and done that.

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

Oh Lord, if Fed Ex DROPPED or CRUSHED it is that the seller's fault (even more so if they used a box bought at Fed Ex).
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

I never use FedEx and when I use UPS Ground once in a  blue moon I take it in for a real quote. Without fail they tag on Rural surcharges and such, even when going to a big town. The last 4 times it was as cheap to send via USPS Parcel oversized than UPS Ground. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

>> Oh Lord, if Fed Ex DROPPED or CRUSHED it is that the seller's fault (even more so if

>> they used a box bought at Fed Ex).

No it might be FedEx's fault, and the fact that the box was purchased from them is irrelevant.

If, as I mentioned, a box had voids in it (think 2'x2'x2' box with just a cowboy hat floating around), it would likely get crushed by normal handling on automated lines where other boxes drop on it or in trucks which are usually stack packed - that would be the shipper's fault for poor packing and FedEx would (rightfully) deny a claim.

In dyspraxia's case above, the box was not damaged when it arrived.

>> I never use FedEx and when I use UPS Ground once in a  blue moon I take it in for a

>> real quote. Without fail they tag on Rural surcharges and such, even when going to a big

>> town. The last 4 times it was as cheap to send via USPS Parcel oversized than UPS Ground

I had a few  problems with UPS, FedEx and Airborne Express in the past with DAS being added (adding them for everything seemed to be Airborne's business model). Airborne is long gone, I don't use UPS anymore, and had zero of those issues (and zero damage) using FedEx the last decade.

As far as Parcel Select being cheaper sometimes: Right tool for the right job is the mantra.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

FedEx will not talk to OP. They are not the shipper on record. The size of the box is really not the important thing here, the OP got hit with dimensional shipping weight. With dimensional shipping, the actual weight is less important then what it should weigh (typically).

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

You obviously didn't read what I wrote in posts 3 and 7.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

They measure there boxes with lasers, but you can learn the best ways to pack for profit.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

FedEX Fraud

That is correct^^^^^ what he said lol
Message 14 of 14
latest reply