cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's shipping info way wrong

A buyer contacted me inquiring about the $240 USPS shipping cost for my item.  In double-checking the weight, dimensions, and zip directly on the USPS site, the price should have shown as $121.   Now, I'm wondering how many of my other listings have incorrect shipping cost and if it's costing me sales.  Any input/advice? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ebay's shipping info way wrong

The Mark Rothko?

It's showing UPS as the shipping option.

Check your handling fee.  I've screwed that up once before pretty good.  Meant to put in $2 but put in $200.

Without providing us with shipping dimensions, weight and ZIP to/from, it's hard to figure out what can be the issue.

- Suzanne -
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes, it's showing UPS now, because I changed it. When the buyer asked about a $240 shipping cost, it was one of the USPS
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

After the buyer asked about the $240 shipping cost showing for one of the USPS economy options, I researched directly on the USPS site and got the $121 price. Then, I researched with UPS and FedEx. The least expensive was UPS, so I changed the listing to that shipping method. I didn't put in a handling fee for this item.

The shipping box dimensions are 44x34x10, 12 lbs, from zip 37069 to 10005.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@gw_cw wrote:

According to USPS.com, your package is too large to be mailed.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@gw_cw wrote:
After the buyer asked about the $240 shipping cost showing for one of the USPS economy options, I researched directly on the USPS site and got the $121 price. Then, I researched with UPS and FedEx. The least expensive was UPS, so I changed the listing to that shipping method. I didn't put in a handling fee for this item.

Right there is your issue!  44 x 34 x 10 = 14,960 cubic inches   14,960 / 166 = 90.1

So with USPS new "dimensional weight" classification this box, if it could be shipped, would not shipping at 12 pounds weight rather at 90-lbs! 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for researching this for me.  As a new seller, I'm perplexed as to why I was allowed to choose a shipping option that really isn't available, based on the package dimensions, when creating the listing?  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Another possibility is that you selected "parcel select" from USPS on your listing form instead of "Retail Ground", from USPS, (which is the price you see when you input the weight on the USPS site),  always cheaper than parcel select, but you'd have to bring the package to the post office counter and purchase the postage there to get the Retail Ground pricing.  The new DIM (dimensional Measurement weight) is causing packages to ship at 2,3, 4 times the actual weight in Parcel Select.  It's caused the USPS the loss of my business which I now give to FedEx!

-Dippitydoo

Message 8 of 8
latest reply