cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay money back guarantee on CPU from China?

Hi folks ... I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a CPU (FX AMD 6100 processor) sold from a seller in China... although the seller says they do not accept returns I'm aware of ebay's money back guarantee policy should the processor turn out to be defective (I've built/assembled four computers so far that have all worked so at this point I like to think I know at least a bit about defective computer parts 🙂  ) ... 

My concern is this - should the CPU be defective, would I be responsible for the return shipping cost to mail it back to China?   In the one situation I was forced to invoke the ebay money back guarantee (seller described item as brand  new and it was obviously used , scratched dinged up and so forth when it arrived) the seller paid to have the item mailed back to him but that was a seller within the USA, I'm not sure if the buyer is responsible for the cost of return shipping in the case of sellers who live that far away from me (I live in the US).

As a "PS" in case someone's answer is just to tell me to not buy from China...  I'm aware of the concerns expressed online about buying CPU's from China and quality standards (not trying to be prejudiced by any means, apparently there's some concern on certain pc repair forums about the CPU's not meeting the standards of say a retail CPU purchased here) ... one of our close family friends is battling cancer, she just came back from surgery recently and I would love to use the spare parts I've assembled over the years I have sitting around to build a new-ish computer for her as her old one died... sadly however the motherboard I have lying around isn't new enough to handle the more modern processors (like say an AMD Ryzen for example) which, honestly would be beyond my price range anyways (the CPU I'm looking at seems to sell in the $35 to $40 price range and at that price the only option appears to be  Chinese sellers).

Thanks so much to anyone who reads  this and responds 🙂 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Keep searching. I see a number of them available from sellers in the US and the sellers take returns and have feedback above 99%.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks tudmonde2014... man it's that bad if you order from china eh? 😛 ... I know there are American sellers it's just they're in a position to charge more than I can afford 😞  , like anywhere from $70 to $99 ... anyone who's ordered a CPU from China and hasn't been bitterly disappointed who can chime in here 🙂  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If an item you purchase from a Chinese seller is not as described and needs to be returned they are responsible for the return shipping.  However, they will try to prevent it  because they unable to provide a return shipping label and the cost is high.   They would have to send you the money via PayPal.  Also you need a trackable method which is Priority Mail so don't let them talk you into a cheaper method with no tracking. You will just have to stick to your desire to return the item on their dime.  If the seller does not respond within the time frame ask eBay to step in and they may ask you to wait while they contact the seller  but they could also  refund you without returning the item.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

CPUs are seldom bad.  Take any organization with thousands of computers, and it is common to have maybe one or two bad CPUs over a decade.  In contrast every part is less reliable.

That said, your likely problem is if the item is not as described or physically damaged.  If there are bent pins, a burnt CPU or something, then open a case.  Also do NOT buy from someone from China unless they have excellent feedback.   While their prices may be bit better, often times United States customer service is better.  If you can patronize a USA seller, that would be the best for quick shipping (in either direction) and overall satisfaction.

That said eBay will have your back in a legitimate bad situation.   No returns means no buyer’s remorse returns as in you cannot just change your mind.  When I sell I know if a buyer wants a return they will get one regardless of policy, and I would rather not have an item not as described, so I except all returns including buyer’s remorse.  I also do free returns because a buyer is most likely getting that anyway even if it means they need to select a reason that is not true.

Answer...

Good luck and shop with confidence

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

trehar and netwizz thanks very much for taking the time to read and answer this I really appreciate it 🙂 .. hmm that's two people now saying to avoid Chinese sellers (the one I was looking at has 99 percent positive feedback though so it's tempting).. all stuff to keep in mind... thanks guys 🙂 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

With the whole Covid slow down in global mail, you're better off buying domestic, and then expect 2-3 weeks shipping if not longer

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@jennya8403 wrote:

With the whole Covid slow down in global mail, you're better off buying domestic, and then expect 2-3 weeks shipping if not longer

Because overseas shipping could legitimately take months now. Some of these ::cough::sellers::cough:: aren't shipping. They just string the buyer along, blaming the pandemic, until their Ebay and Paypal MBG times run out.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks Jennya and southern sweet tea 🙂 .. wow that's something to consider , overseas shippers who never ship and just keep the money that's ... not reassuring 😞 .. definitely think I will stick with an American buyer.. thanks everyone 🙂 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Just an update: It's 2 years later and things are almost back to normal after Covid and there are still Chinese vendors selling a ton of these CPU's for half the price than ones in the U.S. It's a real tempting gamble.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

So you are aware of the MBG, but somehow don't believe it would apply if you buy from China?

It would but the only problem is that the seller cannot send you a prepaid return label, but has to actually refund you the cost of return shipping if he wants it back.  Don't know how much of a hassle that is, but it's something to consider.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply