cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay gave customer reduced postage cost.

Ebay invoiced the customer $10.50 for a purchase shipped in a medium flat rate box. When I printed out the label, I had to pay $12.80. 
Is there any way to get this money back from ebay?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay gave customer reduced postage cost.

@prose826 wrote:

Ebay invoiced the customer $10.50 for a purchase shipped in a medium flat rate box. When I printed out the label, I had to pay $12.80. 

Sometimes shipping cost is less by actual weight than it is by "flat rate".

Had you used a "non"  "flat rate" box your label would probably have been $8.34 or even less if you are TRS.

If you put the weight in, eBay will calculate by that weight.

Had your buyer been far enough away they could have been charged as much as $16.10

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@prose826 wrote:

Sometimes shipping cost is less by actual weight than it is by "flat rate".

Had you used a "non"  "flat rate" box your label would probably have been $8.34 or even less if you are TRS.

If you put the weight in, eBay will calculate by that weight.

Had your buyer been far enough away they could have been charged as much as $16.10

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Medium Flat Rate should cost the same no matter where it is shipped. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

$10.50, the cost before the Jan 27, 2019 at eBays rate.

$12.80, the cost now at eBay rate.

Butterfingers

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Medium Flat Rate should cost the same no matter where it is shipped. 

Correct, but if a seller lists by weight that is how the buyer pays.  Weight/size/distance.

2 days, 2 pounds, $2.90 (Priority FR back in the day)

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@1stufftobuy wrote:

$10.50, the cost before the Jan 27, 2019 at eBays rate.

$12.80, the cost now at eBay rate.

Butterfingers

$10.50, 3 pounds to zone 4.

$12.80  Medium flat rate to any Zip (online cost)

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

In your Sold listings, it seems that the only item you've sold recently was a red shift. The shipping section of that listing isn't set up for charging for a flat rate box; it's set up to charge the retail postage cost for a 3-pound package. That cost would be $10.50 to Zone 4.  

As this experience shows, the Medium FRB is often not the best value when shipping via Priority Mail.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

In your Sold listings, it seems that the only item you've sold recently was a red shift. The shipping section of that listing isn't set up for charging for a flat rate box; it's set up to charge the retail postage cost for a 3-pound package. That cost would be $10.50 to Zone 4.  

As this experience shows, the Medium FRB is often not the best value when shipping via Priority Mail.

That's my take on the situation. Seller states ship "medium flat rate" in the description, but apparently set it up by weight:)

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I didn't even look at the description, just went straight to the "Shipping and payments" tab.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@prose826 wrote:

Looks like the listing was set up for calculated shipping.

If you wanted to use a Flat Rate box, you should have set the shipping to a flat rate.

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Looks like I screwed up. It's been a while since I sold anything and I have made several mistakes. It seems so much more complicated than before. Now I have to go in and revise them all again. Thanks everyone. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

But in revising them you should add the flat rate box as  a second option.  Otherwise many buyers will see a higher postage cost than necessary and you could lose them as customers due to inflated shipping cost. For a 3-pound package, the Medium flat rate box costs more than regular Priority Mail rates (by weight and Zone) for Zones 1 - 6.  Only Zones 7 and 8 save money with the flat rate box.   

Message 12 of 12
latest reply