cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay combined a customers order, but had the shipping cost too low. I lost money on the shipping.

I had a multiple item listing for some Funko figure twin packs.  A customer came in and bought the last 6 I had. Ebay automatically made it one order and charged the customer $9.42 for shipping and said it would ship in a 12x8x6 box and weigh 11 pounds. I am not sure how they figure 6 Funko twin packs would fit in a box that size. I had to use a 19x12x9 box and it weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces. But the shipping jumped to $14.74. I was happy to make the sale and just shipped it. Is there something in a setting I have not set right or was this a Ebay glitch ?

And in the future if this were to happen again and I wasn't willing to handle the incorrect shipping cost how do I handle it ?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay combined a customers order, but had the shipping cost too low. I lost money on the shipping.

HI @rix_mercantile 

Two issues here.  One is as @solidguitar1961 mentioned, the larger box 19 x 12 x 9 = 2052 cubic inches pushed it to dimensional weight - now referred to as Cubic rate - for USPS Ground Advantage.  Any boxes over 1728 cubic inches (L x W x H) get pushed to a higher rate.

The other issue is how you have Combined shipping set up on your Shipping preferences page: Shipping Preferences (ebay.com)

My Combined shipping is set to ADD ALL shipping costs, I refund the overage.  I use Calculated shipping.

I have sold multiples of one listing as well as multiple separate listings and have never been short changed like you were.  Even on the rare occasion when the box size grows above the 1728 cubic inch level.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The dimensions of the box made the shipping price jump up.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Remember, ebay doesn't do anything, only you can tell it what to do in the shipping area.

You needed to setup some tables/rules to accommodate multiple items when you have a listing like that.

If you use "fixed price" shipping it is easy....just put a number in the "additional items" box

it is a little more complicated with calculated shipping, a slight learning curve.

Maybe one of the shipping gurus will popin and help you out in detail.....

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I understand that, what I don't understand is why or how Ebay determined the shipping fee to the customer to be a 12x8x6 box for all 6 items. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yes I had it for calculated shipping.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

you didn’t really lose anything. You saved a couple dollars on fees. You saved from buying five more boxes. Even though you lost money on shipping, you basically ended up even or maybe even slightly ahead of where you would have been from a net standpoint,

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

HI @rix_mercantile 

Two issues here.  One is as @solidguitar1961 mentioned, the larger box 19 x 12 x 9 = 2052 cubic inches pushed it to dimensional weight - now referred to as Cubic rate - for USPS Ground Advantage.  Any boxes over 1728 cubic inches (L x W x H) get pushed to a higher rate.

The other issue is how you have Combined shipping set up on your Shipping preferences page: Shipping Preferences (ebay.com)

My Combined shipping is set to ADD ALL shipping costs, I refund the overage.  I use Calculated shipping.

I have sold multiples of one listing as well as multiple separate listings and have never been short changed like you were.  Even on the rare occasion when the box size grows above the 1728 cubic inch level.

Regards,
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Maybe I am wording or not explaining myself well.  Why or how did Ebay determine that 6 items would fit in a 12x8x6 box, when the listing is set for a single item that in a single sale ships in a 9x6x4 box. I understand why the price jumped because of the much larger box size than what they had figured. I don't understand where they came up with 12x8x6 box for the combined sale. It multiplied the combined weight more than correctly , but fell very short on the volume of the box size.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@rix_mercantile wrote:

I understand that, what I don't understand is why or how Ebay determined the shipping fee to the customer to be a 12x8x6 box for all 6 items. 

That's tricky because I don't see how the computer could figure out what size box is needed

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@rix_mercantile wrote:

Maybe I am wording or not explaining myself well.  Why or how did Ebay determine that 6 items would fit in a 12x8x6 box, when the listing is set for a single item that in a single sale ships in a 9x6x4 box. I understand why the price jumped because of the much larger box size than what they had figured. I don't understand where they came up with 12x8x6 box for the combined sale. It multiplied the combined weight more than correctly , but fell very short on the volume of the box size.

@rix_mercantile   eBay's programming has no clue how Sellers physically pack their items as @solidguitar1961 just mentioned on their last post.  The only thing they can add is the weight value.  They can't cube out a package size.  Sure it would be great if they could but they can't.  

And to be honest, I wouldn't want them to.  To your point, they "could" calculate the volume of one box and then add or multiply by quantity the volumes together but that might actually be way over what a Seller can actually pack multiple items in.  Here's the math of your situation

12 x 8 x 6 = 576 CUIN x 6 = 3,456 CUIN

19 x 12 x 9 = 2,052 CUIN

You can check how that would affect your current transaction by using the USPS shipping calculator here:  Retail Postage Price Calculator (usps.com)

Use the Buyer's zip code and dimensions for the 19 x 12 x 9 and then do it a again for a volume of 3456 which could be a box 18 x 16 x 12.  The weight for the larger box would go up by perhaps one pound for the extra cardboard and packing material.

Regards,
Message 10 of 10
latest reply