cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard envelope lost?

Hi this is the first this has happened to me. Buyer just reached out and said card he purchased never arrived. I checked tracking and it's been stuck in destination processing June 5th and was supposed to be delivered by June 9th. Is the envelope lost and should I issue a refund? Any help is appreciated! 

Screenshot_20230613_115310_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Do not issue a refund yet, Get in touch with the Destination PO and let them look for it. This happened to me and it was sitting in the local PM's office because it didn't get on the delivery vehicle. Make the USPS determine what happened first. If the buyer files a INR claim then you have to make a decision to refund or not. Good Luck

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Do not issue a refund yet, Get in touch with the Destination PO and let them look for it. This happened to me and it was sitting in the local PM's office because it didn't get on the delivery vehicle. Make the USPS determine what happened first. If the buyer files a INR claim then you have to make a decision to refund or not. Good Luck

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

It's probably been delivered by now. But just wait it out. Don't do any refunds until you have to. You're insured if the buyer complains about it not being delivered.

Heck, have one right now that shows destination processing and the buyer gave feedback saying he was happy.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Thanks! I filed a missing mail claim on the usps website. Is it usually a long process? Never had to do this before

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thank you! Yeah I have a few like that as well. This is the first time a buyer reached out saying he never received it yet. I filed a missing mail claim so hopefully I get some news about it

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@sportsguyer0707 

Don't give up hope -- my sister just received a piece of metered mail (Comcast) on June 3, which had actually been mailed in mid-October of last year -- 8 months ago!

While it would be of absolutely no defense against an INR claim, isn't it great to know that USPS finally delivered in a "timely" fashion (or maybe an "out of timely" fashion)?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Welcome to the World of eBay standard envelope.  It's probably been delivered, and will never show up as delivered on the Pitney Bowes tracking.  You're better off just drawing your own bar code on the envelope.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@sportsguyer0707 wrote:

Thank you! Yeah I have a few like that as well. This is the first time a buyer reached out saying he never received it yet. I filed a missing mail claim so hopefully I get some news about it

Oh. My bad. I somehow missed that he complained.  If he filed an INR, be sure to include the tracking. ESE tracking is a tad different than the regular tracking. So I don't think your missing mail request will go anywhere. But worth the try I guess. If they haven't done an INR yet, can maybe ask and hope that they will be patient.

Admittedly, I've yet to have to deal with an INR on ESE's. So someone else will be able to chime in on if it's better to just wait it out and let eBay refund them (with your money). Or do it on your own.

Either way you'll eventually want to fill this out.

www.pip-claim.com

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Probably not lost.

However, if standard envelope is not bendable or more than 1/4 inch thick it may be delayed or returned to you. Some places are not processing these envelopes correctly.

I very rarely have anything lost. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I don't think it will take too long, be patient and maybe it will turn up or get delivered to the buyer.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ok  I am an ebay Top Rated Seller Plus seller. Here is the information I have learned over 2 years with dealing with Ebay Standard Envelopes.

First of all, local rural USPSs do not have the technology to scan these into the system. They are shipped from the local Post office to the larger Processing USPS facility in Metro areas Without any scan. The traning at that time only states "Tracking number Provided".  In my case it's Nashville TN. 

The Nashville Facility is missing the scanning at least 30% of the time and it may or may not get scanned at the next Metro Processing destination before it goes to the satilite Processing facility then the small local facility.. therefore "In transit" is seen on the tracking. 

Now, Once the Envelope gets to the customers' USPS Processing Facilty they may or may not scan. Lets say they do. The tracking will then say delivered because it gets sent to the local rural USPS which cannot scan the envelope. SOOOOO. The carrier Postman may have the Customer Envelope on their truck but he Tracking is going to say Delivered. 

The time for tranist from the  Metro processing facility to actual customer may be several days. 

So I get a lot of "item not received" compliants and have to spend valueable time explaining the ebay Cluster *$%# to the customer. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I have lost 8 to 10 eBay envelopes that get lost in the hub in Kansas City Missouri. eBay envelopes are not trackable through the USPS. Of course I have to refund the buyer. I’m out the card and the money. And then eBay puts me below standard saying the card is out of stock. Anybody else out there have this issue?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

This is a HUGE HUGE problem with the eBay standard envelope. I have gone away from using it because of eBay being solely dependent on the tracking # to prove delivery. There are MANY buyers out there who use this as a way to get free cards. If the post office doesn't scan it in when they deliver it...it will show as "lost or not delivered." So (like you) I'm out the card AND the MONEY.  The tracking for the eBay Standards only get scanned in about 40-50% of the time.  Good idea in theory...but the post office drops the ball to often,.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@skipthebase wrote:

This is a HUGE HUGE problem with the eBay standard envelope. I have gone away from using it because of eBay being solely dependent on the tracking # to prove delivery. There are MANY buyers out there who use this as a way to get free cards. If the post office doesn't scan it in when they deliver it...it will show as "lost or not delivered." So (like you) I'm out the card AND the MONEY.  The tracking for the eBay Standards only get scanned in about 40-50% of the time.  Good idea in theory...but the post office drops the ball to often,.

@skipthebase 

If you find the tracking on eBay to be lacking, you can track the ESUS number on this site:
https://parcelsapp.com/en

ESE is a metered mail shipment so it does not receive traditional tracking scans and the clerk at the PO counter cannot scan it. Instead you should drop these envelopes in your PO's metered mail slot. The envelope will be scanned by sorting machinery at distribution centers along the way.

With ESE, a 'delivered' scan generally occurs at the last sort facility before it gets to the buyer, so typically the buyer will receive their order a day or two after the delivered scan.

If an item doesn't have a delivered scan and a buyer files a not received claim, you do have insurance coverage and the claims process is outlined here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

My regular mail always comes in. Ebay envelope purchases should as well. I was putting a set together everything was going great.  Then it started 6-7 cards in two weeks never arrived. I complained after two cards missing, kept happening. The second time I complained and I made it clear it better stop and it did. In these cases tracking showed delivered or at my post office. 

I am now selling using ebay envelope when I can.  Five buyers in two weeks filed "item not received".  All five tracking only showed label created, no further tracking. (interesting). When I was putting the set together, I received several cards that only showed label created or in transit. I could have easily filed item not received on all of them and got my money back.(hmmmm).  Not my style

Bottom line is, Ebay envelopes are a risk,  filing a claim looks like a joke, which should be connected to item not received on ebay and automatically files claim.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply