cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Envelope Tracking Issues

I ship around 7 items a week using eBay standard envelope. About every month I have one item get lost. 1st issue. The tracking info is HORRIBLE. 70% of the time the tracking info doesn’t update past label printed, and I don’t even know if the buyer ever got the item. 20% of the time the tracking info barely shows any info besides delivered. Only 10% it’s normal good tracking info (showing multiple stops on its route). 
luckily when buyers claim the item didn’t arrive, ebay takes the hit. 

Until yesterday

The most recent one, for $6.46, it showed that I shipped the item out, and the package made one update then never delivered. I lost the case and they took the money from ME. I updated the tracking, and explained that eBay will be refunding the buyer as usual. Did they stop doing the insurance? 
I don’t know if this is a post office issue or eBay can change something, but it’s opening me up to so much liability.

Not knowing if an item arrived or not for 70% of my orders is just insane. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@charizardtax 

Are you dropping off your ESEs in the "Metered Mail Only" slot at your post office?  That method is better (and faster) than handing the ESE to a USPS counter employee or a USPS driver, or dropping it in one of the "blue boxes", or in your home delivery box.

Are you using top loaders to ship your trading cards?  Many top loaders are simply too thick to pass smoothly and quickly through the high-speed automatic feed rollers used by USPS.

Many post offices now are attempting to "streamline" their functions, due to inadequate staffing; and one of the functions that seems to be "skipped over" is the final "Delivered" scan at the post office indicated by the ZIP Code on the recipient's envelope.  In addition, this final scan does NOT mean that the ESE was delivered to the buyer -- it may take several additional days to actually be delivered to your buyer (and longer for weekends and holidays).

And the ESE is still covered by insurance, if all the conditions have been previously met by the seller, as follows:

Filing a claim 

If you believe your envelope was lost in shipping, you'll need to wait 30 days to file a claim. Claims must be filed no later than 90 days from the date the shipping label was created.

You can reduce the amount of the claim if your shipment was only partially lost or damaged, however the claim amount cannot be more than the item's sold price.

To file a claim, select the button below and add the following information to the form:

1. Tell us what happened - was your item damaged, or was your shipment lost?
  2. Enter the claim information and your PayPal email address
  3. Enter the following additional information:
    • Your first and last name
    • The buyer’s first and last name
    • Shipment tracking number
    • eBay item number
    • Screenshot of eBay Order Details
    • Screenshot of buyer’s complaint message or dispute details regarding the lost or damaged item

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@charizardtax 

Are you dropping off your ESEs in the "Metered Mail Only" slot at your post office?  That method is better (and faster) than handing the ESE to a USPS counter employee or a USPS driver, or dropping it in one of the "blue boxes", or in your home delivery box.

Are you using top loaders to ship your trading cards?  Many top loaders are simply too thick to pass smoothly and quickly through the high-speed automatic feed rollers used by USPS.

Many post offices now are attempting to "streamline" their functions, due to inadequate staffing; and one of the functions that seems to be "skipped over" is the final "Delivered" scan at the post office indicated by the ZIP Code on the recipient's envelope.  In addition, this final scan does NOT mean that the ESE was delivered to the buyer -- it may take several additional days to actually be delivered to your buyer (and longer for weekends and holidays).

And the ESE is still covered by insurance, if all the conditions have been previously met by the seller, as follows:

Filing a claim 

If you believe your envelope was lost in shipping, you'll need to wait 30 days to file a claim. Claims must be filed no later than 90 days from the date the shipping label was created.

You can reduce the amount of the claim if your shipment was only partially lost or damaged, however the claim amount cannot be more than the item's sold price.

To file a claim, select the button below and add the following information to the form:

1. Tell us what happened - was your item damaged, or was your shipment lost?
  2. Enter the claim information and your PayPal email address
  3. Enter the following additional information:
    • Your first and last name
    • The buyer’s first and last name
    • Shipment tracking number
    • eBay item number
    • Screenshot of eBay Order Details
    • Screenshot of buyer’s complaint message or dispute details regarding the lost or damaged item
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Adding to the great advice posted above:

Check your label placement. It needs to be aligned to the top right corner of the envelope. Some sellers with scan issues found it was because they did not follow eBay's instructions on label placement.

Another suggestion is to track these items at parcelsapp.com because sometimes you will see more info there.

With 70% of your orders affected I would say check label placement and, as Davy said above, check your packing materials that they're not too stiff.

Hope that helps @charizardtax .

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Items get lost or delayed when ESE is used.

I am going to try the label placement change, though I am skeptical.

I do not believe that the metered slot fix is relevant unless a postmark is being applied. And my labels are 100% tape covered so I doubt the postmark would adhere.

I recommend marking up your charge for ESE shipping to cover the losses.

I also recommend not using ESE because the time lost dealing with the buyer and insurance when there is a problem is worth more than any of the low ticket items which are sold and shipped ESE.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo 

"I do not believe that the metered slot fix is relevant unless a postmark is being applied. And my labels are 100% tape covered so I doubt the postmark would adhere."

Since the ESE is considered by USPS to be metered mail, it is HIGHLY relevant:  the slot for "Metered Mail Only" envelopes is used for mailing ONLY that type of envelope, and the envelopes which are dropped into that slot are treated separately at the USPS Distribution Centers, and processed DIRECTLY as metered mail.  So you are actually saving some time (and several sorting steps) by using the "Metered Mail Only" slot.

The metered mail which I receive does not seem to have postmarks; so I would agree that a postmark on metered mail is irrelevant. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have found that most people who have excessive problems with standard envelopes are doing something wrong from the packing end up things, thinks like overpacking, poor label placement, and poor placement of the items in the envelope can contribute.

In your case you are covering your labels with tape, which can make it much harder for the envelopes to be picked up by the scanning devices.

I suggest searching for some videos on how to pack with standard envelope.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This is the underlying service at USPS used for ESE

https://postalpro.usps.com/mailing/intelligent-mail-barcode

Perhaps it will add to people's understanding of what ESE is or is not.

It appears to be a by-product of the way letters are sorted.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. Yes I am using a single top loader but when I’m shipping cards in a mailing envelope you have to you know? Good info thank you. I ended up filing a claim and got my money back!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Also, no I ship all my ese mail by putting in my mailbox and the mailman picks it up. That may be part of the problem too

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@charizardtax 

"I ship all my ese mail by putting in my mailbox and the mailman picks it up. That may be part of the problem too"

Yep, that will cause a delay for your outgoing ESEs, as they are probably going to miss the late afternoon shipment to the USPS Distribution Center, since your USPS driver may only be returning from the route after 5:00 PM -- probably won't be shipped to that destination until the next day.

As for top loaders -- I only use penny-sleeves, since the value of the cards can be no more than $20.00.  My penny-sleeve ESE shipments have ALL been delivered safely, and with NO complaints from buyers.

Just a couple suggestions that seem to work for me.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply