cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Envelope Is Not Fun

I am so upset with Ebay - I am 30 years on Ebay with a 100% rating. I always ship sales right away. I gave this Ebay standard envelope a try for the past month and its a total and complete MESS. The tracking rarely updates and now a customer says he didn't get a card. I am not playing games with calling post offices and Ebay - I am simply not going to sell less expensive cards, use the ebay crappy envelope "and hope for the best" NO THANK YOU! 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@weareaccurate wrote:

I am 30 years on Ebay with a 100% rating. 

JFYI ebay isn't even 30 years old.

But we get it, you've been here a long time.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@weareaccurate 

" I am not playing games with calling post offices"

There is NO need to call the post office -- the ESE does NOT use USPS Tracking numbers, so the post office will NOT be able to assist you. 

The notification that an ESE has been "delivered" only means that the ESE has arrived at the post office destination indicated on the shipping address -- NOT the buyer's HOME address.  It may take a day or so for the post office to deliver the ESE on a regular, scheduled delivery; and there may be longer delays for weekend or holiday "delivery" notices.

Please provide further information regarding the issues which you may be having with the ESE, so that we might be able to assist you.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

If the buyer files a non-receipt claim, just refund them then file for the included insurance @weareaccurate .

If you find the tracking on eBay to be lacking, you can track the ESUS number on this site:
https://parcelsapp.com

Remember, this is a metered mail shipment so it does not receive traditional tracking scans and the clerk at the PO counter cannot scan it. Instead you should drop these envelopes in your PO's metered mail slot. The envelope will be scanned by sorting machinery at distribution centers along the way.

With ESE, a 'delivered' scan generally occurs at the last sort facility before it gets to the buyer, so typically the buyer will receive their order a day or two after the delivered scan.

If an item doesn't have a delivered scan and a buyer files a not received claim, you do have insurance coverage and the claims process is outlined on this page:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I appreciate the information! very much so

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I appreciate the reply - truly 

this is what it says - the last tracking info was 10-11 days ago

the last tracking information says

1. Sep 30 2023

7:10pm

Origin Processing

LOUISVILLE, KY 

so it made it from NY to KY 10-11 days ago

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Scans on ESE may occur occasionally or not at all.

Whether the insurance will cover shipments which never get scanned is doubtful.

How they affect your metrics is arguable.

Not selling very inexpensive items is an excellent avoidance method.

But ESE is a better gamble than shipping by First Class Letter which many sellers choose to do when offering very inexpensive items.

I set up a few listings for ESE and do not intend to set up any more or find those I did and change them to a tracked method.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I got dinged off the shipping price of one of them. $1? I suppose they thought a stamp would do but then literally no proof of tracking, at least this shows it was accepted.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Right it takes at least the half a day before the card shows up after it says delivered. I learned that right away as customers were complaining. Then they said it got there when their mail ACTUALLY was delivered. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Well the only items I ship using the ESE are items that I would have otherwise shipped in an envelope with a stamp and without any tracking.   And for the most part they are items where my cost is $1 or less so refunding if there is an item not received claim is no big deal and I refund immediately.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

It took me a long time to figure the proper way of mailing single cards under $20 with "eBay's standard envelopes".  No help from customer service but someone posted here the proper way of preparing envelopes. I used to put the shipping label dead center on the envelope. Wrong! Upper right hand corner so the machines can scan the codes. Also, both ends need to be flexible so the machine can grab the envelope. Been doing this for a month and NO problems whatsoever. Good Luck!

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

25 years - I was speaking figuratively 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I have mailed 4 trading cards in a standard envelope for .66 in the past....or 1.50 International.

I use a thin cardboard that covers the entire inside of the envelope.

1 / 4 inch thick or less and must be bendable.

Inexpensive items do not need tracking.

You kinda sell the same items. Your base should be repeat buyers....which are basically honest buyers.

I might get something lost in the mail once a year...and that's usually International.

I only do tracking for higher end items.

Gosh, I sell items for $1.98 and still make a profit with free domestic shipping.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You should explain to the customer that this shipping service requires a few more days for delivery and thank the customer for being patient.  Normally, these envelopes take 7-10 days for delivery.  Sometimes these envelopes could take 20-30 days for delivery.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply