cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay HAS NO seller protection!! forced returns

Ebay thinks that they are amazon or Walmart now forcing buying to take returns regardless of remorse or purchased by mistake. Very aggravated that customer who want to return something can simply choose “does not match photos or not as described “ and Ebay will force the return on sellers. This an action site I don’t know why they keep trying to be like amazon it’s a joke. There has been so much fraud on the platform with this change it just doesn’t work.  I sold a broken phone for parts or repair. The listing description clearly stated that the device was not functional and needed to be repaired for parts. The pictures even showed that the device was broken and stuck on the Apple logo. The customer devices the item and opens up a return request stating that “the description wasn’t good enough” so Ebay forced me to take the return. Ebay stated “if the buyer is not happy with the item they have every right to return it with the new policy. This is a joke. I sell damaged  phones that need to be repaired if people can just buy broken things and can’t fix they Ebay now let’s them get a refund!! What a joke, there is no seller protection but more FRAUD happening on ebays platform. They are forcing sellers to accept returns against their will. They think there a big box retailer YOUR NOT! Your an auction site that is loosing all its credibility that it work so hard for over the last decade because you are trying to follow suit of other BOG BOX RETAILERS (which your not) and it’s pushing ALL its seller away! Policy needs to back their sellers as the sellers pay the high fees to cover Ebay’s bills! Buyers abuse returns = fraud 

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Ebay HAS NO seller protection!! forced returns

eBay undermines the seller until the social enterprise which have become unprofitable are taken from the seller & subjected to eBay's financial control.

I guy published a book about this very same thing back in 1925.  If you do a "little" background check on the CEO you'll know who & what your dealing with.

Message 76 of 89
latest reply

I agree with the original poster. Sellers are paying high fees for the opportunity to sell on this platform, what are we getting if our profits are taken away against our will? I can agree with providing clear terms of sale, and adhering to a clear return policy and protecting customers from shady sellers. But c'mon ebay, my sales revenue is not yours to hand out as you please!

I make every attempt to be very fair with my customers, often incurring a loss as the end result when it comes to returns. I have no quarrel with issuing a full refund if the wrong item is shipped due to our error, or the item is defective.

This new policy has invited buyers who are unhappy with the fit, ordered the wrong size, or just don't like the item as much as they expected to claim that, "item is not as described or doesn't match the pictures." I was already offering a 30 day return policy with customer paying return shipping (and a 15% restock fee which I rarely imposed.) Many of my items included shipping and are being sold at wholesale prices, this was the only way not to take a beating on returns. 

Now, a good percentage of returns make some kind of claim that the item is not as pictured or described(which is untrue). As proof I have pointed out to ebay how the same items that have been returned as "not as described" have positive feedback from other buyers stating "EXACTLY as described," "great product!" etc. Didn't matter to ebay, still siding with the customers. Ebay's suggestion is that I can reduce the amount of the refund if the item is not returned in new condition. But that obviousely is not the issue.

The only answer that I can see other than ebay ditching this policy, is to increase prices to cover the losses. The end result there may just be lost sales for our business and ebay as buyers scour the internet for the best price. I'm not selling on ebay for the shear joy of it, but to make a profit. If I'm going have these frivilous returns one way or the other at least I can try to offset the cost. I also plan on directing more business to my own website, so I can eventually say goodbye to these kinds of shakedowns.

Message 77 of 89
latest reply

Ebay forced me to take a return because the customer claimed the item was listed as new but wasn't (but it was). When the buyer sent the item back to me, they sent a used version of the item. It was not what I sent them. Ebay gave them a full refund even though I sent them photos of the used item that was sent back. This return policy encourages fraud and does not EVER protect the seller. Time to close my ebay account. There are many other alternatives that don't charge any fees and don't have such a fraudulent return policy. To anyone that has had this problem, I suggest Facebook Marketplace, Offer-up, Nextdoor, Bonanza. Dump Ebay and give those a try.
Message 78 of 89
latest reply

So today I had the most awful experience with EBay! A buyer wanted to return as the item as it did not fit and I declined the return. Then they started to complain about marks and stains and raised an item not described case for a return.  They sent photos and I spoken to someone in their high value items team as the item was an £800 coat to get this looked at as the buyer was taking the **bleep**. The person who I spoke in eBay themselves said that they could not see any marks or stains. However I still had to offer the buyer a refund. Disgusting. 

Message 79 of 89
latest reply

I've been with Ebay as a buyer and seller for over 18 years. In the beginning it was a safe site for both parties and the feedback feature was a big part of it. Unfortunately Ebay changed their policy so only buyers can leave negative feedback leaving future sellers blind.

Additionally Ebay now allows a buyer to return an item based on the buyer’s claim of defect regardless of proof provided by the seller. To make matters worse a buyer, with a low or even 0 feedback score will win over a seller with a perfect very high feedback score and many years with Ebay.

The word is out. Ebay will almost always rule in the buyers favor and have developed their bad return policies that actually encourages buyers to abuse the system.

Buyers now know that they can return items for any reason and the sellers will almost always be charged for the ship to and return shipping charges.

The increase in unjustified and fraudulent return claims has sky rocketed and it's only going to get worse.

Time to close Ebay accounts and sell on other platforms.
Message 80 of 89
latest reply

This is a bunch of bull honkey. What's the point of having the option to accept returns if they force it on you. I had full disclosure on security system listing. Customer received it and was unable to connect to the mobile app because the unit was a few years old and outdated. Wanted me to pay to send it into the manufacturer for an update. Falsified return saying it was broken and Ebay accepted it even with my appeal. I will never use freaking Ebay again. So red in the face.

Message 81 of 89
latest reply

To block a user from future purchases, put their user id on your blocked bidders list.  https://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Message 82 of 89
latest reply

@rock.star wrote:
"Ebay thinks that they are amazon or Walmart " Yes this is true and is something that you will need to accept because it is going to become more so .

ehhhh....maybe for a time.

It will have to get expensive for them to find a different way of doing things.

A good start is to call USA based CSRs and raise holy heck every time every seller has something like this happen....and not just one call.

Posting in the forum won't do a thing besides a blue giving you "we encourage you to work with your buyer" which is meaningless pablum designed to disarm you.

Message 83 of 89
latest reply

I think what really gets sellers  back up is the fact that most sellers are quite willing to accept the return of goods for one reason or another but then we also have to return the buyers postage  to them of which ebay states we really should  give a tracking number type of postage which is more expensive and then we have to return that money also to the buyer and then we the seller has to then swallow that in our service to the buyer   Come on ebay most buyers would swallow postage in order to get a full refund of goods ...Your not thinking of the smaller business with  tight bugets here  trying to offer great service 

Message 84 of 89
latest reply

Hey gizmoseller,

I read your post and had to respond. I have been on ebay since 2007 and have maintained an 100% positive feedback as a buyer. My wife suddenly got sick for no apparent reason and after extensive medical testing is thought to have some form of lymphoma. She is going to have to start treatments three times a week an hour drive from our home at KU med hospital. I have two jobs and after all these years and my current situation I decided to list some stuff for sale to try to make ends meet.  The very first sale was a brand new, unopened 100 dollar calculator that the buyer payed  65.00 with shipping. I had listed it as a brand new, unopened  product, because it was. I shipped it that very morning and thought I could actually give it a go. Two or three days after delivery I get a refund request. Buyer says not as describe, listed as new and was clearly an open product. He took a picture of the package, I am not even sure it was my actual package but it was cut wide open and posted that with the request. 

I freaked out, couldn't sleep all night I could clearly see what was happening> searched everywhere for a solution only to be disappointed. I quickly realized I was screwed and new that my chances of keeping my money and my reputation was going to be impossible, I caved gave a full refund and rather than pay for the return shipping told the fraudster to keep the calculator. What the most upsetting part of that experience for me was the damage it did to my trust. I am so angry at Ebay, it's completely messed up. I have made one other sale since it's still in shipping and I am just sick to my stomach thinking it's going to happen again. I do not know how common this is and have not been able to figure out how to myself in the future. I thought I would just list as used or opened..... then I read your post. Now I just feel like giving up. Is it worth it all, the stress, the financial loss, not to mention the loss of merchandise. I am sure the buyer would have sent back his or an old broken item as I have read about that happening. I don't know.......I just felt the need to connect with someone that can relate. Ebay sucks when it comes to this type of situation. What happened to me was illegal, it was theft. shoplifting with benefits. Don't know if you will see this but if you do, I hope life treats you well. Take care. Any advice this community can give would be appreciated. Peace.

Message 85 of 89
latest reply

It's not true, they are not pushing all sellers away.

They are pushing away the honest sellers, but many a schemster is taking their place so there is no shortage in their eyes. Just look at any listings for any popular item, especially mass-manufactured ones, sellers using every trick in the book and I can't honestly tell you some don't border on or even utilize outright deception.

That's where ebay loses credibility but again not with sellers, that's not where it stands.

They lose credibility with buyers, when buyers all they see is all these certain sellers schemering up the listings... That is what is attracting the scamming buyers, they figure if the sellers are playing dirty there is nothing wrong with buyers doing it too.

Message 86 of 89
latest reply

I agree.  My buyer purchased a pair of pants and then asked for a refund.  Her comments were "doesn't seem authentic, I bought a pair to replace the ones i had".  My listing clearly states not returns or refund and to ask all questions prior to purchasing.  The buyer did not do any of that.  The item is 100% authentic, I have receipt for the item which was purchased directly from the PACSUN store.  I disputed the return and ebay sided with the buyer all along without "looking" into my case.  Since it was free shipping, I am stuck with the shipping charge and ebay is going to charge me for the item to shipped back to me.   Shame on the buyer and shame ebay for taking advantage of people.  Ebay charges an insertion fee and 10% of the final cost.  Why?  Sellers can easily list their items elsewhere because you have to pay ebay and then get screwed by them when they are "suppose " to be helping you.  This is a small lesson learn for me, I am no longer going to sell on ebay.  I rather sell on other platform that would charge me less.  Sellers beware, if you do not want to part with your money or your item, find another platform to sell your items. 

Message 87 of 89
latest reply

totally agree, i sell  art glass and my rating as described is 5 star, i pack my vase in a cardboard cylinder, you can't crush this thing, i know it's much heavier, but it's my protection for the buyers to receive intact.

With a lot of picture, no matter, a buyer dislike the vase and damage the rim and ask ebay to step in,because it's not as described, the buyer even without contact me first, result dam, i have to take it back damaged and refund the buyer, there no way it could be damage this way in transit with this kind of protection, i provided pictures of the rim before packing it, no matter, i loss, where the seller protection goes ???

Message 88 of 89
latest reply

I had that happen.  I accepted a return back, buyer never sent it back but had printed the label then went to his credit card company, got to keep the item and got his money back from me.  Out $2000.  No one cared and he is still listing and selling on ebay.

Message 89 of 89
latest reply