cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY RETURNS POLICY QUESTION AND OR DISCUSSION

I sell automotive parts on ebay motors and have had a return recently. The item did not fit the customers vehicle and it was my fault so I am totally ok with the return. It is a small heavier item (about 30 lbs)  12 x 12 x8 box. I had calculated shipping with fed ex listed in the listing, but I ended up using UPS through paypal because first I never get an accurate quote with fed ex through ebay, and second I have a UPS center close by. So what happened is the customer applied for the return, ebay approved it, and sent a prepaid shipping label for USPS. Problem is that the label cost me $18 more dollars than the original UPS shipment. I read that return labels will never cost more than the original postage if printed through ebay shipping. So being that I used Paypal shipping, is this why they charged more for the label? If I would have quoted UPS in the original listing, would I have been charged the original amount for the return label. what are some ideas that I can avoid this in the future and still use UPS as a carrier for my business? thank you.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: EBAY RETURNS POLICY QUESTION AND OR DISCUSSION

What is that the correct USPS postage for the zone and dimensional weight of your 12 x 12 x 18 package?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

about $36.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@mdy69 wrote:

I sell automotive parts on ebay motors and have had a return recently. The item did not fit the customers vehicle and it was my fault so I am totally ok with the return. It is a small heavier item (about 30 lbs)  12 x 12 x8 box. I had calculated shipping with fed ex listed in the listing, but I ended up using UPS through paypal because first I never get an accurate quote with fed ex through ebay, and second I have a UPS center close by. So what happened is the customer applied for the return, ebay approved it, and sent a prepaid shipping label for USPS. Problem is that the label cost me $18 more dollars than the original UPS shipment. I read that return labels will never cost more than the original postage if printed through ebay shipping. So being that I used Paypal shipping, is this why they charged more for the label? If I would have quoted UPS in the original listing, would I have been charged the original amount for the return label. what are some ideas that I can avoid this in the future and still use UPS as a carrier for my business? thank you.

So, eBay took the initiative to use whatever shipping company they wanted to use, regardless of your preference? If that's the case, that's messed up.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

My thoughts exactly. What do in the future to avoid this? Must I use the ebay preferred shippers, USPS and fed ex?
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Here is the link for this topic. I think it may help. It answered some of my questions about it.

You can still use whatever shipper you choose for your shipping needs.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703

Today I will not judge.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the link it was helpful. The problem is that ebay approved the return before I had a chance to see it. But I have deleted all the return rules and only have automatic approval if the amount is under $20. Will this solve the problem and send returns over $20 to me for approval?

thanks, again.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@mycarolinavintage wrote:

So, eBay took the initiative to use whatever shipping company they wanted to use, regardless of your preference? If that's the case, that's messed up.

eBay has a volume discount agreement with USPS for return service labels. What this means is eBay must somehow find at least 10,000 buyers to return their purchases every year via USPS, or breach that contract. So eBay issues USPS labels for return shipments, regardless the seller originally shipped using another carrier.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Go to your return preferences area. Enable the RMA numbers (Return Merchandise Authorization).

This will stop ebay from auto-accepting your return requests. Then, you can issue your own label, for whatever carrier you desire.

Be sure you issue the label promptly, as I think ebay keeps track of how quickly sellers process labels. Sellers not promptly issuing labels is part of what caused the auto-accept to be initiated.

I've had that happen. A big box that needed a UPS return label issued. USPS would have been terrible for a box that big. I printed the label to PDF, and emailed it to the buyer. I also entered the tracking number to the request, along with uploading the label as a picture. Box got to me just fine, and label cost was added to my regular UPS invoice.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

thats a good tip for the RMA, thanks. What I did do also is to set up my return rule to automatically approve returns that are under $15. so does this mean that anything over 15 will need approval from me? I do not offer free returns either.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

To be honest with you, I am not completely sure.

I've always understood that setting to mean that refunds were automatically processed without requiring a return for low dollar items, with the seller setting their threshold value. You lose both the money paid and the item, but save on time, hassle and return shipping costs. And simply write off the loss.

A return request over that $15 value would still be auto-approved, but a return would be required in order to get a refund.

As far as I know, the only way to stop auto-accepts is to issue your own RMA numbers and go from there.

Let me poke around a little, and see if I can find out anything more definitive.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much for the help!
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

OK, here's what I found-

First, I took a look at the return preference page. I do believe it authorizes ebay to auto-refund any amount under the total refund amount set by the seller. Although I agree it's as clear as mud.

On these pages--

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017-fall/returns.html

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/simplified-returns.html

Is this wording-- 

Fall 2017 seller Update- You can continue to control the efficiency of your returns process by creating rules in your return preferences to automatically approve returns or send immediate refunds without requiring the buyer to send the item back.

Summer 2018 Seller Update- You can continue to control the efficiency of your returns process by creating rules in your Return Preferences to automatically approve returns or send immediate refunds without requiring the buyer to send the item back.

To me, if all return requests are auto-accepted, logically speaking, there's no reason for a seller to set an amount, unless under certain conditions, they are willing to refund without requiring a physical return. That rule sets out those conditions.

That's exactly what I think that setting does. They just used their typical corporate-speak weasel wording. And that particular instance isn't shown on their flow charts either. Also pretty typical. The OR wording in the updates is the operative principle, to me.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I checked that return preference page again...I haven't even looked at it in ages, and it's changed since I last visited that page.

I never clicked on the plus sign to select a rule. I see where you can set a rule to auto refund, and a rule to auto approve. There must be an operative difference. At least one would think so, right?

So, I may be wrong and your original assessment may be correct.

I've used RMA numbers forever. I don't want ebay fiddling with my returns at all. I'd rather promptly handle my own customer service in all areas, thank you.

Maybe turn on some rules and see what happens? Then adjust accordingly if you find it necessary.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@ga-8370 wrote:

@mycarolinavintage wrote:

eBay has a volume discount agreement with USPS for return service labels. What this means is eBay must somehow find at least 10,000 buyers to return their purchases every year via USPS, or breach that contract. So eBay issues USPS labels for return shipments, regardless the seller originally shipped using another carrier.

Thanks. I did find the information about eBay choosing the carrier for return shipments and passed it on to the OP in my previous post.

Today I will not judge. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply