cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know where I can buy really big cardboard boxes?

Im going to sell a golf club set and im going to neeed a box 5 feet tall. Anyone know where I can buy a box this big? I tried Home Depot, Staples, and nothing. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

eBay.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Try u-haul I believe they have a box made for golf clubs. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Such a box may be too large to ship via USPS, UPS or FedEx. Can you split the items into 2 boxes?

Ordinarily, I suggest Home Depot, Lowe's, a pack 'n ship store or a moving company.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

UPS & FedEx both ship golf clubs - so I'm sure they sell boxes at a premium!!

Can you make a frankenbox?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Pardon the obvious, but have you tried a sporting goods store?

Failing that, I would try telescoping two shorter boxes together. That will also give you extra rigidity around the center. Be sure that your resulting package won't exceed the maximum dimensions for shipping via your chosen carrier. You might want to consider selling for Local Pickup Only instead. (I would.)

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

1. A local store with a recycling bin for cardboard. Ask if you can have some cardboard and make your own box in a few minutes. They have to pay to have this material hauled away. Furniture and appliance stores will have larger sizes boxes that they typically break down and flattten in order to fit more in the dumpster.

2. Try to locate a local box manufacturer. They will have flat sheets of cardboard on hand to create their boxes and may sell you the flat sheets. Its likely not cost effective to pay them to create a single since most the cost is setting up the equipment for a production run.

3. A local manufacturer who receives various incoming parts and supplies and disposes of the outer shipping boxes.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Hint:  Try a golf pro shop in your area - they receive clubs in club manufacturers boxes - they will give them to you for free.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Any moving and/or storage company. Most sell boxes cheaper than a pack & ship place.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I find it "interesting" that all these wonderful suggestions and the OP doesn't even acknowledge any of them - let alone thank anybody.   Hmmm.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

"They have to pay to have this material hauled away"

depends on the store but alot is just the opposite. We at walmart and many other stores get paid for our used boxes now. We get an average of $90 a day for used cardboard in our store  but anyways yes i agree to try to get something free from an appliance store or a smaller bike shop that isn't getting paid to recycle their used boxes. Can't get any cheaper than that.

if you going to list it at a fixed price then i would try them someplace else first. i sold all my new sets that i brought last winter on cl. Otherwise if you are not sure what you want, then list them auction style here.

Good luck on your  decision.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

A furniture store might be a good option.  And here we pay to get rid of boxes. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I was aware that some of the larger volume stores do get paid for cardboard thus I said to look for "A local store with a recycling bin for cardboard".  By that I mean an outside bin typically with larger plastic lids on the top that you can drive up to. The larger stores will typically instead have a external cardboard compactor the size of small straight truck or a internal bailer to make bails that fit on a pallet. Both of these areas are strictly off limits for the public due to safety.

The key to small stores is dermining on what date they have their recycle picked up; however, as I said before, be sure to ask first. The best bet for Walmart, assuming you have a 24 store, is to make a shopping trip during their overnight stocking session. Also keep in mind some boxes, which are typically branded with the stores name or a vendors name, are off limits as they are fold down boxes that are reused by the store or a vendor that visits the store and stocks their given area within the store.

A reach tool can come in handy for getting boxes from a bin - never climb on or in one!

The last company I worked for was paid for both bailed plastic bags and for cardboard. The plastic bags were bailed within a internal bailer that required wire straps. We used Gaylord style boxes which generally held up to 2,400 pounds of product inside a plastic bag. These 6 layer boxes were too big for a compactor thus they were first manually folded flat and then metal banded onto a wood pallet 17 at a time. The real trick was getting them into the straight truck sized dumpster with no ramp for the forklift. There was only 3-4" of clearance on either side of the pallet and the dumpster walls. One had to stack them two high and set one stack inside just past the door. Then shove another stack aginst the first and so on until the dumpster was full. The trick was not to tip them over during the process or to snap the metal bands as the two stacks together were several feet over the sides of the dumper.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Try an auto body shop.or a furniture or appliance store. Get the box before you list the item. Measure the box. Remember that this is an oversized box. Remember that shipping will be expensive so figure it out first. Oh,  before I forget, these places often have bubble wrap too. I can tell that I have never paid for bubble wrap. This is how I get it.

also maybe you can make a big box from two smaller boxes. Buy 2rolls of big tape at a dollar store.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Federal Express pack and ship centers sell them. Be warned, they are expensive.  The last time I needed a big box it was $18. (No I didnt buy it, I made a box).

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply