cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to send an invoice if I offered International Shipping to the buyer's country ?

Quick question.  I have been offering International shipping in many of my listings, but so far the buyers have all used freight forwarders here in the U.S. I sold a doll tonight and the listing included Japan, where she is.  She is asking for an invoice. Wouldn't ebay have automatically sent her one?  I don't mind sending her an invoice, but I haven't done it before.  Is it dummy proof, or do I have to make choices about things like customs or taxes?  And am I able to offer more than one shipping option?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to send an invoice if I offered International Shipping to the buyer's country ?

To unmark a post as the accepted solution, hit the down arrow in the top right corner of the post and you'll see the option.

You do need to provide an invoice @geofizz1 because your listing did not specify a shipping method or rate to Japan.

shipping.png

The buyer is responsible for any applicable customs fees. Your job is to handle shipping. FYI - USPS First Class Package International is valid for packages up to 4 lbs. Japan is on the e-delcon list which means door-to-door tracking. You can also use eBay International Standard Delivery - rate chart found here.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I utilize the eBay GSP for international sales and they are the ones that actually send the invoice to the buyer and handle the customs processing and any VAT taxes that may potentially need to be collected. If you are not shipping through the GSP I would assume the invoice process is similar to the way it is for the domestic invoice process. It appears you did not specify the international shipping method and will need to do so before you send the invoice which is probably why the buyer is asking for the invoice. 

You will have to do the customs paperwork but if you are shipping directly customs will collect any taxes from the buyer once the package hits their customs center in Japan. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I did not use ebay's Global Shipping Program.  And I did specify priority mail International in the listing. However, I believe it would also qualify for Intl First Class Package since it is less than 1 pound.   For some reason, when I make a listing, ebay doesn't always let me offer First Class Pkg Int'l for packages less than 1 pound.

That is good to know about the taxes, thank you.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Well what do you sell exactly one of your clients maybe reported it as counterfeit just because or you got ahold of something counterfeit maybe didn’t know but. If I were you I would call . Also  you may only be blocked from the app and not from the actual site just from selling on the app .   So try using your browser for sales but otherwise call them and tell them there’s a mistake 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Whoops. I was trying to reply to this, and accidentally hit accept as solution. I meant to tell this poster that I believe they meant this comment for another thread, as it does not apply to my question.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

To unmark a post as the accepted solution, hit the down arrow in the top right corner of the post and you'll see the option.

You do need to provide an invoice @geofizz1 because your listing did not specify a shipping method or rate to Japan.

shipping.png

The buyer is responsible for any applicable customs fees. Your job is to handle shipping. FYI - USPS First Class Package International is valid for packages up to 4 lbs. Japan is on the e-delcon list which means door-to-door tracking. You can also use eBay International Standard Delivery - rate chart found here.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

For first class international the weight limit is 4 pounds for items under $400 in value to most countries. 

https://www.usps.com/international/first-class-package-international-service.htm#:~:text=Affordable%...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Oh well u can still reply 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Also be careful with returns . If someone said your selling counterfeit and tried a refund they might try to give u there counterfeit for your legit item

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thank you, I was aware of the e-delcon list and have it on my bulletin board.  I  only offer 1st class Int'l to those countries. Under International Shipping, I have Canada selected for all my templates.  At the time, I think I was afraid that if I selected Worldwide, then I had to ship to every country.  Can you confirm that the "Exclude Shipping Locations" list will still apply even if you select  Worldwide in the section above? That would make sense to me. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Are you sure you're answering the right question? The OP sold a doll and is asking about shipping to Japan.  There is nothing about counterfeit or being blocked.  

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

What are you talking about? And are you addressing the wrong person?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

No one has used the word "counterfeit" nor is there any mention of anyone asking for a refund.

Per the OP, this item has not yet been shipped.  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Many countries require an invoice to be included with the customs paperwork.  I simply print it out, fold it up and slip it into the customs pocket on the front of the package.  For a while Germany was particularly adamant about this.  This could be what the buyer is asking for?  Japan is a very easy country to ship to (and buy from).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

As @wastingtime101 mentioned you have to send an invoice as the buyer can't pay until you supply a shipping cost. 

I just checked a couple of your listings but you don't appear to list a shipping cost for many countries that you ship to.  For example, on the Tammy and Pepper book, I see Priority shipping to Canada for $42.96 and no other international shipping costs.   If you want to use first class international for items under 4 lbs you can set that up with calculated shipping.

"Can you confirm that the "Exclude Shipping Locations" list will still apply even if you select Worldwide in the section above?"

Yes, I can confirm that. If that's how you want all of your listings set up you do that in your shipping preferences and apply it to all of your listings.  Or just do it on a per listing basis.

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Message 15 of 17
latest reply