cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion about shipping & fees, please.

Howdy.  I'm cowgalpal, a seller of many years, and would like a discussion place to talk about the new %fee for shipping, the odd skews of the Top Seller discount to exactly match what the site's price stated, and the missed opportunity for Sellers to refund Buyers any overage.  

I don't want to rant - I just want to start a discussion about this 'ship gouging' policy that seems to use the same tactic by charging everyone for a few's mis-takes.

Thanks.  Hope to begin a good thing.  If individuals can be calculated by feedback stars, surely there can be a way to discern the 'gougers' too, and not punish everyone.  

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Discussion about shipping & fees, please.

@cowgalpal wrote:

Thanks, Ferns* -- I'll try that.  At least it would eliminate a lotta fol-de-roll.

Which was kinda my question in the first place!

I'll do some tweakin' - tx again.

Or better yet, list with Free Shipping.

Then you won't have to worry about what eBay does with the FVF on shipping......

Message 31 of 64
latest reply

I was just going to say that.

Message 32 of 64
latest reply

Just so it doesn't take you by surpise OP, eBay has another "new" policy where sellers are responsible for the cost of return postage for items that aren't as described.   So, you might want to take this out of your listings (or you can leave it in, it just holds no water): 

Of course I want you to be happy with your item, and I do accept returns, but only if the item should happen to arrive significantly not as described.  If there is something significant I missed, do please contact me so we can work out a resolution.  If we decide to return the item, I will refund the total amount you paid, but the cost of the return postage is to be paid by the Buyer.  Thank you! 

And if you accept returns, you accept them for any reason. 

Message 33 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

Howdy, Fern* ..

The 10% of the shipping amount stated is not a couple years old; it's new.  Since about Spring of this year or so.

If there is a way to 'build' fees into your items, I guess I'd like to know how to do that, while still making the endeavor profitable for both parties.  

Honey, I beg to differ. This is nothing new. FVF on S/H was put in place July 2011.

And this is easy. Ebay is chargeing 10% across the board. (10% on sale price and 10% on S/H. Add 10% to the starting price based on trending prices. Wa La, issue fixed.

Message 34 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

Hi -- it does depend upon the item's sold price, of course, but here is an example:  

I sold a beaded (heavy) dress for 4.99.  So, .49¢ is the final value fee.  But it had to ship by Priority because of the weight, and that cost was $6.15, thus, another 10% fee to add on, .62¢.   And you DO have to add them together, .49¢ PLUS the .62¢ (obviously higher than the FV fee), and you DO come out to a larger than "10% overall" fee.  

They are two separate fees, not one.  This particular dress was a re-list, because it was obviously unattractive at 7.99 - because of the shipping price needed.

I don't think Buyers know, and they shouldn't have to.  But it is a huge consideration in whether to buy it or not.  She ended up paying $11.14 for a $4.99 dress, so that is the Buyers stance, and rightfullly so.  But - for the Seller, the final price for the dress ended up being $3.87.  

I hope you see what I mean about adding these two fees together.  

OMG. Here I'll even dumb it down.

Item sells for $10, FVF is $1

S/H is $10, FVF is $1

Total price is $20 , combined S/H is $2 , AKA 10% of $20

Message 35 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

I'm not trying to 'win' some arguement, or date it.  My point is that there is indeed a second fee of 10% charged, on the shipping fee eBay states, and it is indeed added.

The question is -- why does eBay take 10% of monies that are not theirs in the first place?  If it belongs to anyone, it would be the Post Office.  eBay is simply a 'middle man' in linking the post office to their site.

It's also interesting that what ever the fee charged is, it ALWAYS comes out to that exact amount.  What CHANGES, on the other hand, is the Sellers "discounted rate" - by percentage - TO make it that exact amount.  My "Top Seller Discount" comes in anywhere from 13% to 45% -- seemingly, to make the charged fee EXACTLY what it comes to.  ie - a First Class blouse, sent in a manilla, which cannot possibly cost more than 3.50 to send -- comes up as Fee: $6.45!, but!! -- with my "discount" - it miraculously comes down to the exACT fee stated.  Even if my nebulous 'discount' has to be 45% to get it there.

It's understood that Sellers with that Top Rate get a shipping discount, and it's generally stated that it's 20% or some such.  But -- it is not.  It can be ANY %, to get eBay's fingers in a piece of the shipping amount.  Why?  And where does it go?

My emails with them have explained that it is an effort to quash "shipping price gouging" by those who sell - say a dollar item, but with nine dollars shipping.  Well - as stated earlier, surely there is a star they can add to seller's ratings dashboard to gauge the almighty Buyer's response, and THOSE gougers can be charged accordinly.  

The idea of "quashing ship gouging" by doing the exact same thing - gouging everyone to quash some few -- is a bit of a mobius strip.  It's rare that you end anything by employing the same tactic.  

Ebay jumped on this bandwagon late. Much later than Amazon and most other venues. 

In order to add your "star" ebay would have to employ hundreds of people to examine each and every listing. Where do you think those paychecks would come from. I'll tell you where, not from a measly 10%. Going rate for auction houses is 30% 

At 10% we are getting a deal.  

Think of it as what it is. It is the cost of doing buisness. If you don't like it you can list your stuff on Craig's List or Facebook. Have only a tiny bit of the exposure and no seller protection.

Me I'll continue to live in the real world where I know you get nothing for free.

Message 36 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

Thanks.  And I'll explain that to my Buyers if I have something over .13 oz.  It's pretty nebulous, if you ask me, and not much different than 'figuring in' your cost of gas and mileage to carry a package off.  Tuh.

One might as well just as for Priority over 13 oz, and let it be, for all the calculations that are done in the background to make a Seller feel like they got some deal.

Not to mention that added-up forty thousand dollars calculated in the reply below.

And no one has said yet where that fee goes.  Does the Post Office get it?  That would be the right thing.  Money for nothing, as the old song goes.

Nice work if you can get it.

No the Post office doesn't get it. IT IS A FEE FOR USING THE VENUE!!!! 

OK let me try this explanation.

You buy say. (I'll use a handy LTD Commodity's catalog)

Opening a page at random there is a pack of 3 pairs of socks for $9.98

Shipping and Handling for a order from $- to $14.99 is $5.99

If I purchase two packs the items cost me $19.96 and S/H jumps to $7.99

3 packs this will jump the S/H to $9.99

Do you think it costs this company $9.99 to ship 3 packs of 3 socks?

NO. 

Do you think they are paying the Post Office any extra that they collect?

NO

It is the cost of doing business. If I don't like LTD's S/H fees I can choose not to buy from them. 

Same with ebay. If you don't like it you don't have to use their venue.

Message 37 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

Yes, of course.  It's a fee, charged.  No matter if you print the label or carry the package in.  That's still not the point.  Why is there an additional fee is the question, when nothing is done for it, and where exactly does it go?  And "it goes to the same place" as the FV fee relies on the same illogic as the invisible explanation for  a lot of calculations that mean nothing, only to end up with what you charged in the first place.  Why bother with all the Wow! dancing around what you Might Have Paid!~!?  But for this amazing discount we have granted?!   Pfff.  Right. 

It's just ridiculous, and a very roundabout way of doing absolutely nothing but charging a fee for not doing anything. 

But if no one asks, why change??!!  Or even notice, for that matter.

I (w)rest my case.

ARRGGGgg, 

OK. Prior to July 2011 the FVF's and some listing options were set at a higher %.

When ebay split the FVF between the sale and S/H they also LOWERED the % 

It pretty well broke it even for me. HOWEVER.

Directly after this my sales went from good to great. I was no longer buried under page after page of 1 cent listings.

I remember selling my first Media CD's and VHS. I had a listing that the movie was selling great (can't remember what it was now) It did sell but it was only on the first page for 10 minutes before auction time ran out and sold for under what the gougers were getting  in total.

Message 38 of 64
latest reply

Once again, in 2011 ebay started charging fees on the total payment, price plus shipping.
If an extra 60 or 70 cents in fees upsets you, and you can't figure out how to compensate for it then maybe you shouldn't sell on eBay.
Message 39 of 64
latest reply

Thanks all; I asked for input and that is exactly what I got.  I did learn a couple things to tweak, and apprecitate that.  I was surprised by what a sore spot this must be by the firestorm of replies, but also astounded at some of the math, defensiveness about what a staff it'd take to add a rating star to discern gougers on an already-written algorythm, but mostly by the general viciousness of the other Sellers.  I had no idea.

I also had never used the Forum before, and don't know how to take the whole Post down, so thought I'd just wait until people stopped smearing replies on me long after I said I Rest My Case and just leave it up for what ever posterity there might be for another who could come to this question, or a newbie.

I was actually gone for a long time, crippled by a car crash, but didn't feel it necessary to say that at the beginning.  The snottiness of those who told me the policy was older led me to believe that I had received the notices, and subsequent emails with eBay, because of that long absence, and return.

No matter.  Think what you like, defend your ways, keep them to yourself or lord them over others.  It doesn't matter in the end; it doesn't change what it is.  I'm certainly the wiser for it.

Message 40 of 64
latest reply

Ebay fees are what Ebay fees are. Ebay never leaves money on the table. When they extended the fee to shipping they lowered the percentage for some sales AND started giving free listings. Most sellers at that time came out at a wash.

If they're weren't charging on shipping they would have to charge a higher percentage. Ebay would get the same money but sellers who used "free" shipping would be penalized. Exactly the opposite of what Ebay wants.

Message 41 of 64
latest reply

Stop.  Please.  I've already posted that my question was resolved, it was marked in green, and - ended.  There is no need to keep paraphrasing what has aready been said five times. 

If people don't stop weighing in on this item, eBay is likely to just change policy and go into the exclusive business of selling bridges.  It's become evident that there is a massive marketplace that they're missing out on.

Take it -- and please -- leave it.  

End of discussion.  

Thank you.  

Message 42 of 64
latest reply

If people don't stop weighing in on this item, eBay is likely to just change policy and go into the exclusive business of selling bridges.  It's become evident that there is a massive marketplace that they're missing out on.

You see, comments like that will just keep the thread going.   You couldn't help yourself though could you?  Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 64
latest reply

If you want this discussion to go away, or at least be locked so no further comments can be made, click on the Report Inappropriate Content link in the upper right corner of your opening post.

Tell the moderators that you want your thread closed or removed.

They will do this at your request.

Message 44 of 64
latest reply

What?!  Amen, yet again?  Yipes.  A reply of blame for replying.

Sigh.

In the meantime, would you like to buy a mobius strip?  I happen to have several of them I could list, if you'd like to actually do some bidness instead of

Message 45 of 64
latest reply