cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the buyer receive my package or not?

I have been buying from eBay for years but just started selling last year. I’ve had a very strange thing come up with an item I sold and shipped. I shipped the item right away and the tracking said it was to be delivered on 12/14. It was marked out for delivery on 12/14. I thought it was delivered and eBay did too because they released my funds on 12/20. So then, on 12/29 I get a message from the buyer saying he didn’t receive it. I pulled up the tracking. About one hour after “out for delivery” it was forwarded somewhere, I assume by the buyer. As of today (1/4), the package  has been “moving through the network” since 12/21.

I went to the post office when this all started and she told me the package had been hand scanned, presumably at the residence, and then someone requested it be forwarded. I sent a message to the buyer telling him this and attached a screenshot of the complete tracking. I haven’t heard anything since I sent him this. I don’t know what to think. I hate to disparage a buyer, but I think it’s odd he never responded after I sent him the tracking. The post office clerk said she had never seen anything like this before. Should I assume the package is  lost? Is the buyer not telling the truth? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sounds like a "freight forward" package from Florida, Delaware, Oregon, or?....I believe it's onward to another country. Check buyer eBay ID to see if buyer is in USA or another country.

Possible this buyer knows how to work the system. Once your item shows delivered...it continue's moving onward to another country.

You are not responsible going to another country.

Sounds like buyer is trying to get a refund due to knowing how to work the system.

Block the bidder from future purchases of course.

Buyer has to open a claim for a refund. 

And don't email buyer anything.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@packfan96 wrote:

I pulled up the tracking. About one hour after “out for delivery” it was forwarded somewhere, I assume by the buyer. As of today (1/4), the package  has been “moving through the network” since 12/21.

I went to the post office when this all started and she told me the package had been hand scanned, presumably at the residence, and then someone requested it be forwarded.

Hey @packfan96 . Any time you see 'out for delivery' then followed up the same day with a package forwarding notice, that means the buyer is having their mail forwarded. Most of the time it's because they moved and filled out this form with USPS. It also means the buyer has not updated their shipping address on their eBay account since they moved so you shipped to their old address.

Ultimately, you should be covered even if an item not received claim is filed because per eBay's Money Back Guarantee:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Not covered:

The buyer used third-party freight forwarding or mail redirection

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Sounds like a "freight forward" package from Florida, Delaware, Oregon, or?....I believe it's onward to another country.

That's not relevant to the original post. If the package went to a freight forwarder it would show a delivered scan from USPS to the freight forwarder's address.

After delivered to the FF, the FF will process (usually consolidate several orders for the same buyer), and ship internationally with a different tracking number and usually with a different carrier. USPS has zero visibility to this process and any forwarding done by a third party will not show up on the seller's USPS tracking.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your input. I was able to contact the recipient’s post office and he had a temporary forwarding address on file so it was indeed forwarded. What they didn’t address was the fact that the package has been “moving through network”  for 17 days. I’ve asked them to put a trace on the package in case it’s lost. We’ll see. Again, thanks for your help. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply