cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEALING WITH UPS DAMAGE TO AN ITEM I SOLD

I'm in Oregon and sell classic car parts on eBay, and I recently sold a rear window (from a '65 Galaxie) to a buyer in Texas for $250 plus $130 shipping.  The buyer told me ahead of time that they had made two previous attempts to buy identical glasses, and both times the shipper broke them, and they talked about this recurring experience being a "nightmare."  And I asked what shipper was used, and they never answered me (I would assume it was UPS).  Well I shipped the glass (via UPS shipping bought on eBay) and wrapped it per my best practices (7 layers of thick & heavy cardboard, which has always worked before), and per the tracking number, it arrived at their location only to be broken at the very end of the trip.  Sounds like more than a coincidence, like the local UPS driver is intentionally breaking things for that customer.  Well the customer refused to accept the package, and again per the tracking number, UPS discarded the package and contents.  And now the customer wants their money back (from me).  And their nightmare has now turned into my nightmare.  And I contacted UPS and they said they had done an "internal investigation" and had determined that the item had been inadequately packaged and they wouldn't cover the cost (although I could attempt an "appeal" of that decision if I so chose).  But now the evidence has been destroyed, and also UPS never contacted me, although the tracking number stated that they would be notifying the shipper (I had to contact THEM).  So, my question is, where do I go from here?  As a small-time seller, this would represent a huge financial loss for me if I had to shoulder it, and I don't feel that a (apparently) unscrupulous and irresponsible company like UPS should be able to get away with this. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Item 256146870523 ?As you've discovered, carriers almost always refuse damage claims, citing "insufficient packing" as the reason.

Has the buyer filed a claim on eBay yet - either an item not received request or a return request?

Per eBay's Money Back Guarantee policy, the buyer forfeit their protections when they refused delivery. If the buyer files a non-receipt claim on eBay you could contact customer service, point out the package refusal, and the seller protection will kick in.

If the buyer jumps to a payment dispute instead saying item arrived damaged, you'll be forced to pay out on the dispute. If you fight the dispute and lose, you'll also lose eBay fees and get hit with another $20 dispute fee.

Bottom line is you may win on a technicality: buyer refused delivery. Had the buyer not refused delivery, you'd 100% be out on this and left to deal with the carrier just like every other seller when an item arrives damaged.

If your buyer came here looking for help, I would suggest they file a payment dispute so they wouldn't lose on a technicality. If you were the buyer you'd be pretty upset and not wanting to take that kind of loss, right?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@rainbokatchr wrote:

Well I shipped the glass (via UPS shipping bought on eBay) and wrapped it per my best practices (7 layers of thick & heavy cardboard, which has always worked before),

Gotta ask - 7 layers of cardboard and that's it? No box, no foam, no bubble? If that's accurate you should refund the buyer and not even require they file a claim.

You probably won't agree with that, but cardboard alone is not sufficient packaging for a glass rear window, even if you skated by in the past with that type of packing.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

For the future.. You may want to look into using a freight forwarder than a commercial shipper like UPS, USPS or Fed Ex. Price can vary depending on dimensional weight. You might have to do a little research to find the right one.

-Good Luck

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Do you mean a freight shipper @chevymontecarlo88 ? Freight forwarders forward packages, typically overseas.

Yes, most auto parts sellers I know will appropriately pack this type of item with foam and bubble and either use a wood crate or boxed and secured on a palette - shipped freight for a windshield / rear window type situation. Wood crate is best. At minimum you need bubble, sturdy foam and a thick double-box situation.

-------

Here's my standard advice for freight newbies:

This page is a good reference for freight shipping on eBay and links to a list of freight carriers whose tracking integrates with eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/shipping-on-ebay/freight-shipping

Research your options. You should speak with the carrier to determine if they offer packing services or if you need to handle that yourself, if they have a lift gate for residential delivery (if needed), whether the quote covers inside delivery (if needed), what their insurance coverage is, do they have online viewable signature confirmation for delivery, what happens if the buyer refuses delivery for some reason, etc. Cover all your bases before diving in.

Keep in mind the risk factor. If a buyer files a claim (whether a true claim or a false claim), you're on the financial hook to deal with that. Some items are best sold with the Local Pickup Only option.

Many sellers use freight shipping quite successfully. If you jump in, do it with your eyes wide open. Learn all the potential outcomes before going that route.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Do you mean a freight shipper @chevymontecarlo88 ? Freight forwarders forward packages, typically overseas.

Yes, thank you.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

wastingtime101

Great info you posted as well as the links.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply