cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer paid twice the amount that I received and quoted for shipping. What is up with that?

Shipping to Canada via the eBay International shipping should have cost my canadian customer $20-$25 usd. That is what I received in payment from her for the shipping. BUT she tells me that she paid $40 usd for shipping. Is this something new, eBay charges the buyer twice as much as what the seller is paid?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Customer paid twice the amount that I received and quoted for shipping. What is up with that?

I assume the additional cost is the VAT charge 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Assuming this is actually the new eBay International shipping (formerly GSP)

...You are only shipping it to the ebay shipping center in the USA right?

So you are only getting paid to ship it to the ebay shipping center in the USA.

Ebay would keep the rest to pay for the international shipping and any import fees.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Below is an excerpt of International Shipping and Customs For Sellers  

Generally, buyers pay any additional costs associated with international purchases, such as duties, taxes, and customs clearance fees. To avoid any misunderstandings with your buyers, state this clearly on your listings.

Here's an example:

"International buyers – please note: Import duties, taxes, and charges aren't included in the item price or postage cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.

"Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be, prior to bidding or buying."

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The best way to ship to Canada and save your buyer some money is by shipping USPS directly yourself.  That way there is no brokerage fee, although the buyer will still have to pay any import duties.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Probably! It's eBay's charge for taking care of VAT, or other tax, customs, etc. It's out of the seller's control. Now I know, and so does my buyer.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Great idea!

Now, if only the customers will actually read it haha

Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

yes, exactly. What the buyer did not 'understand' was that the additional charge was not from or for me, it was eBay and I as the seller had nothing to do with that. 

She must be a novice buyer. 

I have never had an international customer question the shipping charges, so I was a little in the dark about it as well.

I learned, and hopefully, she did too.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@betht1958   I realize this question was a few days ago but which item was it?  You received $20?  You only receive the amount that you charged to ship from your location to the EIS shipping hub.   The Canadian buyer would have also had to pay the international portion which is what ebay would receive.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I have gotten the answer to my query, and understand how eBay charges international customers for the customs, fees, etc. Hopefully my customer also now understands. Thanks for your input. BT

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

TARIFFS and taxes have always been the responsibility of the buyer.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply