cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Protectorates via USPS

I wanted to start a discussion regarding shipping because I feel like all the information is out there, but it is not in one place and could be hard to find...unless I am completely missing something. 

I have been selling on eBay a couple of years, but lately have been selling more items than usual. I have ran into buyers from Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. When I go to ship to those buyers, I find out that it cost significantly more to ship to them. I do some research, and I find that EVERYONE is saying that it cost the same as long as you use USPS. They leave out important information about that comment. 

The questions we run into come from buyers and sellers. Sellers wanting to know why it is more expensive, or "How can I block Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico". On the same token you have buyers from those locations who think it is unfair that they don't qualify for the "free shipping" or are blocked from purchasing/bidding all together. 

Here is the truth about shipping to AK, HI, and U.S. Protectorates. 

First Class (0-16 oz) - No cost difference

Priority Mail (0 - 70lb) - Cost is based on shipping location. It WILL COST MORE to ship outside the continental U.S.

Priority Flat Rate (varies) - This is what people are referring to when they claim that it costs the same to ship everywhere in the U.S. including AK, HI, and PR. 

Now that the facts are out of the way, let's talk about this. Flate rate shipping is rarely the cheapest way to ship when you are shipping 5lbs or less. If I am selling a gaming console with wires and 2 controllers, it will normally weigh in less than 5lbs. I can ship that for $10.95 through Priority Mail. If I used Flat Rate shipping and could fit it in a medium box, it would cost $13.60. If I had to go with a large box, it would cost $18.85. For packages between 1 - 5 pounds, flat rate will be more expensive. 

Recently I sold an item that weighed in at 7lbs. I offered free shipping and expected to spend around $18 on shipping. The item sold and was purchased by an individual in AK. Shipping cost me $28 for Priority 3-Day. The item would not fit in any of the flat rate boxes available.

This is the reason many sellers will exclude these locations from being able to buy from them. I don't want to exclude these buyers, but I can offer no advice how to avoid this moving forward. When you expect to pay one thing for shipping, and end up paying more, it is never fun. Exclude these buyers if you like, or note in your description that they will have to pay more for shipping. Don't be upset with the refuse to pay the additional shipping and cancel the order 🙂

Any additional insight on this subject is appreciated!!!

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Cost of Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Protectorates via USPS

i care to differ on the free shipping i listed an item with free shipping sold the item i listed another of the same item as an expierement without free shipping sat for 2 months. changed it to free shipping at the same cost it was without free shipping sold in 2 days i.e. 14.99 with free shipping 11.99 + 2.60 shipping then back to 14.99 free shipping. it does make a difference.

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

how do you know what zone people are in im in minnesota so im guessing id be zone 1 in my location but boston and california are about the same distance away

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

Use the link provided in post #10 to set up your own personal Zone chart.

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

Nearly all my sales go either Flat Rate Envelope or Regional Rate A box. I always ship the cheapest. Hopefully when you say Flat Rate is rarely the cheapest you are talking only about the Medium and Large box. I think the envelopes are a great deal.

Of course I live near Boston too so a lot of my shipping is Zone 8.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

@us2014_earha wrote:

I wanted to start a discussion regarding shipping because I feel like all the information is out there, but it is not in one place and could be hard to find...unless I am completely missing something. 

I have been selling on eBay a couple of years, but lately have been selling more items than usual. I have ran into buyers from Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. When I go to ship to those buyers, I find out that it cost significantly more to ship to them. I do some research, and I find that EVERYONE is saying that it cost the same as long as you use USPS. They leave out important information about that comment. 

The questions we run into come from buyers and sellers. Sellers wanting to know why it is more expensive, or "How can I block Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico". On the same token you have buyers from those locations who think it is unfair that they don't qualify for the "free shipping" or are blocked from purchasing/bidding all together. 

Here is the truth about shipping to AK, HI, and U.S. Protectorates. 

First Class (0-16 oz) - No cost difference

Priority Mail (0 - 70lb) - Cost is based on shipping location. It WILL COST MORE to ship outside the continental U.S.

Priority Flat Rate (varies) - This is what people are referring to when they claim that it costs the same to ship everywhere in the U.S. including AK, HI, and PR. 

Now that the facts are out of the way, let's talk about this. Flat rate shipping is rarely the cheapest way to ship when you are shipping 5lbs or less. If I am selling a gaming console with wires and 2 controllers, it will normally weigh in less than 5lbs. I can ship that for $10.95 through Priority Mail. If I used Flat Rate shipping and could fit it in a medium box, it would cost $13.60. If I had to go with a large box, it would cost $18.85. For packages between 1 - 5 pounds, flat rate will be more expensive. 

Recently I sold an item that weighed in at 7lbs. I offered free shipping and expected to spend around $18 on shipping. The item sold and was purchased by an individual in AK. Shipping cost me $28 for Priority 3-Day. The item would not fit in any of the flat rate boxes available.

This is the reason many sellers will exclude these locations from being able to buy from them. I don't want to exclude these buyers, but I can offer no advice how to avoid this moving forward. When you expect to pay one thing for shipping, and end up paying more, it is never fun. Exclude these buyers if you like, or note in your description that they will have to pay more for shipping. Don't be upset with the refuse to pay the additional shipping and cancel the order 🙂

Any additional insight on this subject is appreciated!!!

Here is the real truth.

Priority Mail (zoned) I'm in Ohio, it costs me no more to ship to Alaska, Hawaii or any of the protectorates than it does to ship to California.

Flat Rate shipping is not the only option. There are Regional Rate boxes, 2 sizes with 2 configurations each. RR 'A' ships at the 2# rate (up to a max of 15#). RR'B' ships at the 4# rate (up to a max of 20#) 

For smaller, heavier packages that do not warrant the Flat Rate boxes there is cubic foot pricing (this is for a max of .50 cubic foot packages)

Regarding this Recently I sold an item that weighed in at 7lbs. I offered free shipping and expected to spend around $18 on shipping. The item sold and was purchased by an individual in AK. Shipping cost me $28 for Priority 3-Day. The item would not fit in any of the flat rate boxes available.

Never assume or guess what your shipping will be. Know what the max will be for shipping that item and plan accordingly. If not you have no one to blame but yourself. For large or non standard packages use the calculator in the listing and make sure your measurements and weights are correct.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

I thought I read the RRB now ships at a FIVE pound rate?

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

Yes, the new rates for RRB match the Commercial Base 5-pound rate.

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

Yes, Regional boxes can be useful for small but heavy items. I do use them occasionally but most of my orders need a greater diameter or depth.

But I did not include them in this discussion because they are not listed on eBay's menu. It's also necessary to "fake" the weight, which messes up calculated shipping for other options, domestic or international. I know how to make adjustments in asking price or weight to make the numbers come out "right" when a Regional box is an obvious choice with no need for other options.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 23 of 43
latest reply

I have heard nothing about that at the Post Office.

I ran the numbers for a 5# package from here to California on usps.com

Priority Mail Express™ Options - Money Back Guarantee >> Click to View these Mailing Options 
Priority Mail 2-Day™
Wed, Feb 15
$23.15
$23.15
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Large Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2"
Wed, Feb 15
$18.85
$18.85
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Medium Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"
Wed, Feb 15
$13.60
$13.60
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Small Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"
Wed, Feb 15
$7.15
$7.15
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Regional Rate Box A
USPS-Produced Box: 12-13/16" x 10-15/16" x 2-3/8" or 10" x 7" x 4-3/4"
Wed, Feb 15
Not available
$10.28
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Regional Rate Box B
USPS-Produced Box: 15-7/8" x 14-3/8" x 2-7/8" or 12" x 10-1/4" x 5"
Wed, Feb 15
Not available
$20.41
Priority Mail® Hold For Pickup Options >> Click to View these Mailing Options 
Other Options >> Click to View these Mailing Options 

It shows RR'B' as $3 cheaper than 5# zoned Priority.

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Did you know that the shipping section in your Site Preferences allows you to set up a surcharge for HI, AK, and the territories?

@partial*eclipse i didnt know that. i have excluded all those cause i got hit on postage twice when i first started out a while ago. 

i know i lose a lot, like many sales from alask, hi, and puerto rico since im block those areas now: i see it in the site preferences of everyone blocked from trying to buy and their zip and location.

so know i have a question for u @partial*eclipse . i ship some ups and some flat rate usps, and some usps first class. obviously the first class and prirority usps is still the same for the all 50 states and also for PR, but usps priority (not flate rate would not be). so how would i set this up in the site prefernences to not surcharge on usps first class and usps flate rate, but do surcharge on regular usps prioity mail and UPS?

i would really appreciate the info regarding this. thank you

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

Regional Rate
Box Type
Description Top Loading Side Loading Weight Box A Ships at approximately the same rate as a regular 2lb package 10" x 7" x 4-3/4" 12-13/16" x 10-15/16" x 2-3/8" Up to 15 lbs, same flat rate Box B Ships at approximately the same rate as a regular 4lb package 12" x 10-1/4" x 5" 15-7/8" x 14-3/8" x 2-7/8" Up to 20 lbs, same flat rate

1.  USPS will charge  a little more - like a buck or so, IF you buy Regional Rate postage at the counter.  Think this  is something new for 2017 but I never buy at the counter but  I just read it but I might be wrong.

2.  Nothing about shipping at a 5 lb rate.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@johnrj1226

January's postal increase saw the Regional B rate go up.  It is equivalent to the 5 lb commercial priority rate now.

Also, the upcharge for purchasing it retail is $2.25for  Zones 1-4 & $1 for Zones 5-9

Regional Rate 2017.GIFRegional Rate increase 2017.JPG

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

On the listing form, there's a checkbox for "Use/edit my rate tables." So you can leave it unchecked if you're offering a flat rate or non-zoned shipping method.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

.... 2.  Nothing about shipping at a 5 lb rate..

The USPS has never pointed out that the prices for the Regional boxes just happen to match the regular Commercial Base zoned rates for certain weights.  But it's easy to compare the regular prices against the little chart that specifies the prices for the Regional boxes.

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

Seldom use the Regional B ulness I ship larger items & heavier items (5 to 8 lbs.) from GA to the  West coast region - less the std Priority and flat rate.  Prior to the USPS increase in 2016 seldom used  the B box at all.  But in 2016 & now it has a price advantage for long distance shipping for me.  The regional A box were always a money saver for me.   When the were first introduced  could ship stuff from GA to say Virgina, Forida, etc for less than a small flat rate  box or flat rate envelope.  But like Chad & Jeremey sang "That was yesterday & yesterday's gone".  Just like the penny postcard & 2  cent postage stamp and  6 cent  bottle of Coca-Cola  which 2 cents was for the bottle deposit.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 30 of 43
latest reply