cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Shippo with ebay

I would like to use Shippo USPS rates when shipping to my customers.

In Shippo it seemed to be easy in connecting my shippo account to my ebay account.

However, in my ebay account I haven't found any options available that would indicate I could use the new shippo shipping rates.

Does anyone have familiarity with this issue?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Connecting Shippo with ebay

I don't use shippo, but I suspect it is similar to other 3rd party shippers

If it's like pirateship, you need to open the shippo pages, and import the available ebay sales (paid and ready to ship) items

Of course, you need to 'setup' shippo to have access to your account

It has been awhile since I have done it, but it is not hard......

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

My issue is that Shippo says I'm integrated with ebay. But on ebay side I can't find anything in my account that indicates this... Perhaps I need to wait for 24hrs?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Being integrated with Shippo means that once an item sells you should be able to go to Shippo to print your label.  It does not affect the price that buyers will be charged.  You already have some leeway in what buyers pay as you can charge the carrier’s retail rate or their commercial rate.   Or you can enter a flat rate….one rate regardless of  where the buyer is on the US.

Why do you want to use Shippo?  I’m sure their rates are not less expensive than eBay (commercial) rates 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005Thanks for the reply. I can assure you that regarding my product Shippo is a lot cheaper in the rates they offer my company so it only makes sense to pass that savings on to the customer.

So if I understood you correctly, I can leave my Shippo integration in place with ebay. Then once an order comes in I can print out the label over at Shippo.

What's interesting about this for me is that it suggests I leave in place the ebay calculation method for determining shippping charges when in reality I'm doing something different.

If ebay is collecting the money from the customer  will ebay also forward me the money I need to pay shippo? I'm uncertain how that part of the process works.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@dogtag wrote:

@pjcdn2005Thanks for the reply. I can assure you that regarding my product Shippo is a lot cheaper in the rates they offer my company so it only makes sense to pass that savings on to the customer.

I don’t know what Shippo quoted you but ebay does charge commercial rates.  It would be unusual for Shippo to be able to charge you less.  Perhaps you are using them for multiple venues and have a huge volume??  I assume you have already compared what you would pay for a label here?  https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator?parentPageName=BulkEditTool&isServiceToken=1&basePath=https%3A%2...

When you get to the 2nd page, click on eBay rate rather than in house (retail) rate..

So if I understood you correctly, I can leave my Shippo integration in place with ebay. Then once an order comes in I can print out the label over at Shippo.

Assuming that it is working as it is suppose to, that’s what should happen.  That’s how it wi4js for Canadians but I’m. It familiar with US sellers using it.

What's interesting about this for me is that it suggests I leave in place the ebay calculation method for determining shippping charges when in reality I'm doing something different.

As I mentioned earlier, if you are using usps you have the option of charging the commercial rate or the retail rate.  You can set that up here by clicking on offering carrier specific discounts… https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf.   Right now I think you are charging retail rates, not the eBay discounted rate

If ebay is collecting the money from the customer  will ebay also forward me the money I need to pay shippo? I'm uncertain how that part of the process works.

It’s a bit more complicated than that. Have you read about how managed payments works?  If you print a label here, you can choose that the shipping funds be taken from your pending amount.  More than likely you will have to pay Shippo via credit card or PayPal. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@dogtag wrote:

I don’t know what Shippo quoted you but ebay does charge commercial rates.  It would be unusual for Shippo to be able to charge you less.  Perhaps you are using them for multiple venues and have a huge volume??  I assume you have already compared what you would pay for a label here?  https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator?parentPageName=BulkEditTool&isServiceToken=1&basePath=https%3A%2....

So this ebay calculator is just a tool to determine shipping charges and for the seller to determine what flat rate  to offer or to offer free if that makes sense. When I set up my product listing these cheaper rates were not there and they cannot be added either.

When you get to the 2nd page, click on eBay rate rather than in house (retail) rate..

Assuming that it is working as it is suppose to, that’s what should happen.  That’s how it wi4js for Canadians but I’m. It familiar with US sellers using it.

As I mentioned earlier, if you are using usps you have the option of charging the commercial rate or the retail rate.  You can set that up here by clicking on offering carrier specific discounts… https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf.   Right now I think you are charging retail rates, not the eBay discounted rate

It’s a bit more complicated than that. Have you read about how managed payments works?  If you print a label here, you can choose that the shipping funds be taken from your pending amount.  More than likely you will have to pay Shippo via credit card or PayPal. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The eBay calculator shows what you will be paying if you print you label on eBay regardless of what you are charging your buyer.  

The second link in my reply is to the page that allows you to set up whether you want to charge buyers eBay shipping rates or retail rates.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Within the 'Carrier-specific discounts for buyers' page I have checked:

dogtag_0-1661860174049.png

Saving this setting should now give me access to the cheaper USPS rates as described in the ebay shipping calculator.

However, one really doesn't know if the setting has been enacted as it cannot be seen anywhere within ones ebay account. So I must ask the question if the only time I will see this is when an order needs to be fulfilled?

It also seems strange to me that this setting change cannot be reflected in real-time within a product listing page. When I set up shipping it would be great to see the real-life price I will charge customers for shipping.  But what your saying is use the higher prices in the product listing page to get the item listed but know that now you have access to more cheaper rates when it comes time to ship? Is this right?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

No, you are misunderstanding.  The eBay discounted rate IS what you are charged when you print a label on eBay.  You don’t need to set anything up to receive that price. 

The setting above ONLY affects what your buyers pay for shipping if you are using calculated shipping.  Your listing now states that shipping is free so that setting is irrelevant.  If buyer is paying for shipping and you have that setting checked off, the buyer will pay you the discounted price.  So they will pay the exact shipping amount that you will pay when printing the label.  If that is not checked off, the buyer pays the usps retail rates, not the eBay rates.   

Keep in mind that even when buyers pay for shipping, that money goes to you  (less seller fees) and you then use those funds to buy the label.

It is up to you what you want buyers to pay.  You can give them free shipping, charge them the eBay discounted rate or charge them the regular usps rate.  Some sellers will charge the higher rate to offset some of the eBay fees.  Some will charge just the discounted rate and others will add on a handling charge.  You have to decide what works best for you.

Regardless of what you charge, if you print a label on eBay you will receive the eBay discounted rates.  You will not pay the regular carrier rates

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@  pjcdn2005

You stated above:

"As I mentioned earlier, if you are using usps you have the option of charging the commercial rate or the retail rate.  You can set that up here by clicking on offering carrier specific discounts… https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf.   Right now I think you are charging retail rates, not the eBay discounted rate"

So... I went to https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf and stated the following back to you:

"Within the 'Carrier-specific discounts for buyers' page I have checked:

dogtag_0-1661946628526.png

Saving this setting should now give me access to the cheaper USPS rates as described in the ebay shipping calculator."

Now you say to me:

""No, you are misunderstanding. The eBay discounted rate IS what you are charged when you print a label on eBay. You don’t need to set anything up to receive that price. ""

So I guess my question is why tell me to set something up then tell me that I didn't have to do it? Confusing?

Also, you stated:

"The setting above ONLY affects what your buyers pay for shipping if you are using calculated shipping. Your listing now states that shipping is free so that setting is irrelevant. If buyer is paying for shipping and you have that setting checked off, the buyer will pay you the discounted price. So they will pay the exact shipping amount that you will pay when printing the label. If that is not checked off, the buyer pays the usps retail rates, not the eBay rates."

However, I did say:

"It also seems strange to me that this setting change cannot be reflected in real-time within a product listing page. When I set up shipping it would be great to see the real-life price I will charge customers for shipping. (AND THIS ENCOURAGED ME TO THINK THIS WAY about your response )But what your saying is use the higher prices in the product listing page to get the item listed but know that now you have access to more cheaper rates when it comes time to ship? Is this right?"

Very very very confusing....................................

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

First of all you were assuming that a Shippo was cheaper.  I tried to help show you that was not necessarily true.  I explained how to find the eBay rates so that you would know what you would be paying and I explained that you could charge your buyers that rate or the retail rate.   

I  have tried to explain the same thing to you in a couple of different ways but obviously we are not communicating well.  Perhaps someone else can explain better. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@dogtag wrote:

I would like to use Shippo USPS rates when shipping to my customers....

Why are you trying to purchase postage through Shippo? Do you have any evidence that their rates are lower than the rates that eBay charges for postage labels? It seems to me that you are getting ahead of yourself here.  Why not just stick with regular eBay label postage rates?  That's what most sellers use.  Surely if Shippo saved a lot of $$, the word would have gotten around amongst experienced sellers, and I have never encountered a seller here who uses it.

When you purchase USPS postage through eBay, you pay the regular published "Commercial" (online) rates. 

When you set up an eBay listing with calculated shipping, it will automatically charge your buyer the retail price, unless you have set up your site preferences to pass along the online discount as illustrated in screen shots above.  Many sellers leave the calculator set up to charge retail, so that the price difference serves as a built-in handling fee, to cover costs such as packaging materials and eBay fees.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@dogtag wrote: .... I can assure you that regarding my product Shippo is a lot cheaper in the rates they offer my company ...

If that is true, then you would be doing a great service to your fellow eBay sellers by giving us a specific example of Shippo rates, including package weight and dimensions, service used (e.g., USPS Priority Mail), both ZIP Codes, and the exact price. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply