cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine shipping

I know it's not appropriate for the seller to ask the buyer to pay extra for shipping if shipping ends up being more expensive than what was listed in the auction. 

Is it appropriate for a buyer to ask the seller to combine shipping when multiple auctions are purchased from the same buyer?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Combine shipping

Yes it’s appropriate for a buyer to request that their purchases be combined in one package. 
Many sellers do reimburse the buyer if they paid more than the actual shipping costs when putting all items the buyer bought into one package. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Sure -- why not?

Many sellers are very helpful in that regard, and I pass on that information in the feedback that I provide such sellers.

And, for sellers that refuse to provide combined shipping on multiple simultaneous sales, I inform them that I will definitely expect the seller to ship EACH item INDIVIDUALLY then, and to NOT combine all the items which I had ordered together into a SINGLE package -- since I had paid the shipping charges for EACH individual item, I definitely expect to get my money's worth, as stated in the seller's ad.

Why should a seller be able to reap a whirlwind of excess profits on shipping fees, when the seller has refused to provide combined shipping to reduce the buyer's shipping charges?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I agree with the other posters.  But buyers do have to keep in mind depending on size and weight, it isn't always appropriate  to ship items together.  It is best if the buyer asks ahead of time before bidding/buying but I don't think there is anything wrong to ask for a combined invoice later on. It is the sellers option to do so but imo a seller should combine shipping when possible.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I agree. Alot depends on what the items are .  I combine all of the time but if I had a fragile glass item, I would not combine it with a 1 lb. diecast car.  So ask the seller which items you would like to buy and also give them your zipcode and ask them what the shipping charge would be if you bought all of those items.

The one problem that I see is if the seller requires immediate payment. He would have to take it off each listing and some sellers do not like doing that.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I tried making it so that buyers get a discounted rate automatically when they buy multiple listings but then everything to do with shipping went haywire. Might have been a coincidence but  I then opted out of Business Policies to make the insanity stop, so maybe that's why today eBay charged the same customer double postage and they paid it.

I just issued a refund, but am a little nervous since the options for shipping parameters in the Listing Tools are not consistent with the options when printing a label - in a month, I could be told that I did something wrong & owe USPS money which eBay will eagerly hand over on my behalf. 

I state in the listings to contact us first if buyers want combined shipping but nobody reads that stuff.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

nothing wrong with that.  If you do not state that you combine shipping in your listings, and the purchase is made without them asking first  then you can tell the buyer  that you do not combine shipping and keep the excess.   your not obligated.   But I would not recommend doing that.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply