cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of shipping method etiquette

Good morning all. I sold an item this morning and the listing said the buyer has a choice of UPS vs FedEx and I'd charge them a flat rate. They chose FedEx and the shipping is like $7 more than if they'd picked UPS. Also, the Ebay price for the FedEx label is even MORE than if I purchase via the store. I've never seen such a huge shipping cost difference between services and a cost that's so off from what I'd estimated. Given that the buyer has paid a flat rate, would it be uncool if I chose UPS? Each service has the package arriving between the same estimated dates.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, it would be uncool. Some buyers have very strong preferences, which are often based on local conditions like drivers who misdeliver or who smoke in their vehicles. So check with the buyer before you switch.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Makes sense. I just wish there was a way I could have seen that the shipping differences would be so dramatically different. I know it's all sort of estimated based on weight, location, etc but I've just never seen it so off before. Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I give buyers one choice and that is 1st class with USPS.  my items are usually not more than 8 ounces

if you have a favorite or one you are real familiar with I would just start using that

I normally have a flat rate of $5 and giving buyers a choice would be too much for me since I have no idea at all about fedex or UPS.I like to keep it real simple

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I'd say at least half of my items are over 1 lb so after you get over that threshold, prices start to go up a bit. Shipping prices vary quite a lot at that point. I've not been terribly impressed with FedEx so far. I may stick with USPS or UPS.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@mtn.vintage wrote: ... I just wish there was a way I could have seen that the shipping differences would be so dramatically different. ...

Try this calculator; note that you can choose whether to display the retail rates or the eBay rates.  Or set up the listing with calculated shipping in the first place, so the buyer pays an appropriate amount.

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Message 6 of 6
latest reply