cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in USPS shipping policy regarding eBay labels?

I had a question whether there are recent USPS policy changes regarding eBay shipping labels. I'm actually someone who's been appreciative of the fact that eBay will charge us the difference between the shipping label purchased and the actual shipping cost rather than having the item returned. I have a scale but sometimes I make a mistake regarding the packing materials and I put the wrong weight on the postage, so I'm glad that I simply get charged more rather than having the items sent back to me and a buyer annoyed. However in the last two or three weeks I've had more returns then I've had in my last five years of business from USPS for incorrect shipping (not a significant percentage of my overall orders, but still more than usual). Now, keep in mind these returns are essentially my fault because I did not put the correct weight, but my understanding has been that USPS is just supposed to note that fact and make it so eBay makes up the difference (or a similar process, I'm not entirely sure of the actual mechanics of it but that's the result). Has there been a change with USPS regarding how they treat eBay labels with incorrect shipping shipping or is it just my local post office.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Change in USPS shipping policy regarding eBay labels?

Don't know what to suggest except maybe you need to step up your game when it come to figure-ing out shipping or add a small handling fee. I semi package everything as I list it so have better idea what shipping weight is going to be. Have you check your scale for accuracy?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I haven't noticed any recent change.  Most of my items mail in the under 16 oz. range or in a flat rate box that's good up to 70 lbs.  Maybe once I got dinged for being short on postage and it was because I used a flat rate box by mistake.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Instead of relying upon the APV system, weigh your packages before buying labels. I don't know what's going on in your case, but it sounds like maybe your account was flagged for frequent underpayments?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

...USPS does not issue any changes in contract with eBay shipping program...they still offer percentage discount if sellers purchase USPS shipping label through eBay...

...your local post office, USPS distribution centers, the destination post office, these 3 location most likely detect the Postage Dues...

...shortage postage comes from either couple ounces from weighting only the item before wrapping and boxing, up to several pounds as cheating, using Priority or Express Mail Boxes for First-Class Rate...

...Amazon shipping labels are spared from Postage Dues because of their contract with USPS, flat rate delivery cost of $2 each package regardless sizes and weights...

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

there is no "change" - the issue is occurring because your shipping label you purchase doesn't match the actual weight (or the dimension weight) of the package and USPS checks this when they accept a package. You either should have your scale calibrated or purchase a new one (scales can be cheap these days, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a new one then to pay to have it calibrated). 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

You can take your scale to the PO and have them compare the weight on yours to the weight on theirs.  Also, kitchen and bathroom scales are marginally accurate.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Some of the other messages seem to be just reiterating things you already know. Personally, I can say first-hand I've had the exact same experience: More packages returned in the last 6 months than in the last few years. Mostly First-Class Stamped Letter with machineable surcharge payed, which are being returned because USPS would rather I pay 200% the price as First-Class Package even though it is acceptable per their own regulations (or ironically enough, prohibited, as tracking requires a certain thickness my letters dont' meet). If that wasn't enough, their issue with delayed packages is a whole different nightmare.

So no, you're not alone, but no, there's just about nothing you can do about it. If you over-pay postage, just expect one out of 10 packages to get delayed a couple weeks (just enough to lose your INR case) instead of returned to seller. You tell me what's worse.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

There is no thickness requirement for tracking.  Tracking is provided for all First Class packages regardless of their dimensions.

A piece cannot be mailed as a letter if it's more than 1/4 inch thick. And it can't be mailed as a flat (AKA Large en elope) if it's rigid.  So any piece that's rigid and more than 1/4 inch thick gets categorized as a package even when it's less than 3/4 inch thick. How thick are the pieces that are being returned to you?

The APV system is designed to detect underpaid postage on packages. So it wouldn't be applied to pieces that were mailed as letters or flats. If a letter or flat has underpaid postage (such as paying for less weight or wrong category) then it is returned to the sender if it's still in their region; otherwise, it would be delivered with Postage Due.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

a few years ago when they started doing this it was more frequent..My 1st year I must have gotten about 5-6 small notices,they once even sent me an overpayment.

I ship 2000 packages a year 1st class and have not had 1 with wrong postage for a while now

$20 scales are very accurate these days

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"There is no thickness requirement for tracking.  Tracking is provided for all First Class packages regardless of their dimensions."

See: USPS.com - What are the Types of First-Class Mail®? - First-Class Mail Flats (Large Envelopes)

"Thickness: ¼ inch to ¾ inch"

That's the first link I found. I've seen it better explained elsewhere in the past, but I'm can't spend more time researching it right now to see if that's the exact regulation I meant to cite. Like most things, it depends on the mailman - the vast majority doesn't know or care. Of course, if you stick a First Class Package label on a flat envelope 9 times out of 10 there are no issues. But per regulations (at least in the past, who knows if it has changed in the past two years), trackable packages had to have a minimum thickness of 1/4" if I recall right. Where this issue shines is Bulk Mail-in Rebate Centers where there is an incentive to reject and return any technically non-qualifying mail, and there is enough volume to justify doing so. I myself have had slim envelopes with UPC codes returned for that reason. Mind you, I'm not saying this is frequently enforced, just that it can be enforced. In general, I just try to stick a single packing peanut in slim packages to avoid issues and make sure it doesn't mistakenly get chewed up by the machinable letter sorting machine (part of the reason I suspect the 1/4" requirement was there to begin with).

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

PS. Maybe it's 3/4" for tracking/delivery confirmation? Just to make sure I'm not totally crazy, I checked and there have been other eBay Forum threads on the topic: Minimum thickness for First Class package - 1/4" o4 3/4" ?. Or at ShippingEasy. Like most things, it's hard to get an exact answer everyone agrees on, and by the time you do, regulations change, so it's not a huge deal either way.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

The regulations haven't changed. All First Class packages automatically include tracking (formerly known as Delivery Confirmation). Any piece that is too thick to mail as a letter and too rigid to mail as a flat is a package, even if it's not over 3/4 inch thick. It can't be mailed as a flat if it's rigid, even if it's under 3/4 inch thick.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

...either letter or flat to be considered as a package must be 3/4" and above in thickness, or rigid as carrying buttons, small objects...

...these envelopes can not process through DPS or Flat machines, sometimes it has to be hand-canceled...

...also, depends on how well-trained of a postal clerk and his/her mood (not kidding here...!), it can be passed in one end but could be caught at another end...

...most mail carriers don't pay attention...but if a mail carrier was previously a clerk then...sorry...better collect Postage Dues in recovering revenues...

Message 14 of 14
latest reply