cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant add tracking number after buyer purchased multiple items, NEVER seen this after 10,000+ sales

- Buyer purchased 2 separate items, did not use the cart.

- (I do free shipping as a seller)

- I purchased label for one package (adjusted weight to cover both items obviously)

- Tried to add tracking number to second item using the edit button (where you add or edit a tracking number) I got an error message saying "Tracking number added is already used by a different seller"

- I've never seen this before.

- I called EBay, first rep argued with me for 20 minutes not understanding why this is a problem, kept saying my buyer should have "combined shipping" & that message is normal. After 20+ minutes he still couldn't understand the concept that I DO FREE SHIPPING, and the buyer didnt use the cart to check out.

- M0r0n #1 out of the way, got a supervisor- he tried to help but didnt even know the tracking page has changed in the last few weeks, and said this is normal, but may be a bug in the system...

- ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN? Please respond, because I will get dinged on my shipping metrics

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Cant add tracking number after buyer purchased multiple items, NEVER seen this after 10,000+ sales

Check the IDs carefully @cbacal. Are they 2 different IDs used by the same buyer (ie: guest checkout)? You can't add the same tracking for 2 different eBay IDs.

For a work around, add to the second transaction this number:

420 + 5 digit buyer zip code + tracking number

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Check the IDs carefully @cbacal. Are they 2 different IDs used by the same buyer (ie: guest checkout)? You can't add the same tracking for 2 different eBay IDs.

For a work around, add to the second transaction this number:

420 + 5 digit buyer zip code + tracking number

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Wow, I didn't expect to get such a legit response, and so quickly..

The buyer ID's were the same, but I did the workaround & it accepted the updated tracking number.

Thank you so much, I am very impressed & appreciative

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hello!

I know this post is pretty old but just wanted to ask a question if anyone could help! 

So I was having the same problem and used the workaround which worked but does it mess with the tracking on ebays app along the way and does it say that the item was delivered on the app as well? Im just worried ill send it out and tracking will all be goofed up and it won't complete the transaction due to not being the standard tracking number we normally would put in. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I dont use the app I only use my PC,  so I cant answer your issue specifically, but curiously enough it happened to me again a few days ago and I had to call ebay to try and get it taken care of. They werent able to help, however the rep who I spoke to (In the US shockingly) told me to use the "add notes" feature to detail and document the issue in case it became a problem down the road..

Good way to be proactive and protect yourself by getting the documentation on the EBay system 

hope that helps a bit

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the quick reply!

So if I've got it documented in the sellers notes before I get it sent out to the post office then they should be able to take care of it better if something does become a problem. I hope I'm understanding correctly? I tried on PC and its the same deal with still getting the error message without the workaround, when you sent out that item awhile back with the workaround stated above, did it cause any problems or was the tracking as normal if you remember? if not its no biggie, just for sure trying to stay on top of this because the item I'm sending out is a decent sale compared to my other regular sales!

Thanks again! 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes, that was the advice the ebay rep gave me, and any proactive documentation of your actions as a seller (for example adding to the "notes" section), as well as sending a message directly to the buyer documenting the tracking info prior to sending the items will always be better for you. And by sending a message to the buyer ahead of time, it would most likely dissuade anyone from trying to rip you off.

Just a quick thank you for the purchases and explanation linking the tracking number to all the items should protect you best.... and boom- if you end up have a problem you've already documented it in writing so it can be seen by EBay, the buyer, and the seller.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Okay Just sent a message to the buyer and added the note! Thank you so much! You were so much help and I really really appreciate it. Hope everything is well and future good karma sales come in fast for you! 

Thanks again! 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply