cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't ship to Puerto Rico

I've been trying to ship a Priority package to PR since yesterday. Unfortunately I get the generic "We're having trouble printing your label" error message on ebay. Tried printing directly from Paypal and I have a "Sorry, the selected country is not supported" error message on the Create Shipping Label page. Anyone else having this problem?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Can't ship to Puerto Rico

To ship to PR, a customs form is needed. Are the weights in there correctly? I use ShipRush and it's never right and I have to go in and edit what the weight of the item/package is or I get a similar error. Could that be the problem?

If not, try ShippingEasy.com - same discounted rates and no monthly fee for less than 50 per month. Their customs form section is easy.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

"To ship to PR, a customs form is needed"

False.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

wrote:
To ship to PR, a customs form is needed. Are the weights in there correctly? I use ShipRush and it's never right and I have to go in and edit what the weight of the item/package is or I get a similar error. Could that be the problem?

If not, try ShippingEasy.com - same discounted rates and no monthly fee for less than 50 per month. Their customs form section is easy.

PR is part of the United States. You don’t need a customs form.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Try changing the destination address from it's international fomat to a domestic format with Puerto Rico as a state name.

Your Buyer Name
9999 Casa Lane
Hofstatter Precinct
Puerto Rico, 96666
United States

and see if that flies with the label page.

Should be ok with seller protection too.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

You have to have a city in the address.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I'm sorry - I mispoke - yes, I know that PR is a US territory, but the shipping programs treat it like it needs a customs form filled out. Shipping Easy and Ship Rush both treat it like that. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

wrote:

I'm sorry - I mispoke - yes, I know that PR is a US territory, but the shipping programs treat it like it needs a customs form filled out. Shipping Easy and Ship Rush both treat it like that. 

It sounds like possibly the buyer has plugged "PR" into the Country field...? A properly set up Puerto Rico mailing address will slide through domestic shipping like any other US mail. I ship there all the time.

Puerto Rico addresses may have extra details such as urbanization that might be confusing things. The USPS website has some info on how to set up those addresses here: 

https://www.usps.com/ship/preparing-domestic-shipments.htm

Scroll down to "Tips for Preparing Shipments," look in the right-hand column for "Puerto Rico & Virgin Islands" and click to expand the text there.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Puerto Rico does not require a customs form. I have been shipping to Puerto Rico for years through USPS, PayPal, shipping-easy, etc with regular mail. Maybe you are shipping something tha requires it but I ship fabric to PR every week with regular mail.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@kfn78 wrote:

Puerto Rico does not require a customs form. I have been shipping to Puerto Rico for years through USPS, PayPal, shipping-easy, etc with regular mail. 

That's true, but what's been happening (as recently as last week, for me) is that the Shipping form will, for no apparent reason, make you complete a Customs form for a shipment to a Puerto Rican buyer before you can actually print your domestic Shipping label.

You can actually see if it's going to go wrong as soon as you pull up the Shipping form, with two clues that I've seen in my own experience:

1. It will bring up the "Classic" Shipping form instead of the new Shipping form "Experience," apparently because they have not yet figured out how to do international shipping with their new form.
  2. The blue button at lower right will read "Continue" (to go to a Customs form) instead of "Purchase postage" (to buy the label and print it in the next screen).

You have to complete the Customs form as if you were shipping internationally to another country, but then when you complete it and finally get to your Print button, the domestic label comes out by itself, as normal, with no hint that a Customs form was ever filled out.

I had a theory some time back that this was a programming glitch caused by the software not recognizing the buyer's home country properly (such as by putting "Puerto Rico" in the country field by mistake), but now I'm wondering if it might be lumping the ZIP codes for PR in with the APO/FPO ZIP codes that do require a Customs form in addition to a domestic Shipping label, as those are going to military addresses that might be overseas. It looks as if there may be an incorrect decision behind the scenes that forces the user to go through an unnecessary Customs form, followed by a correct decision to not print the form that wasn't needed in the first place.

In any event, it seems to be a non-issue for PR shipments, since the Customs form never actually gets printed, and the package gets to my buyers just fine.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Not any more, it changed 2019 February. You have to walk it through the shipping now. You can not ship to FPO OR APO any more either, Great way to treat us military people serving our great country, thank USPS..........
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. It finally allowed me to print via PayPal, but it required me to complete a customs form. The customs form didn’t print, but it definitely required me to complete one before printing a label. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

You are wrong, PayPal will not ship without a customs form and ebay also request a customs for for Porto Rico, started about a month ago. Just fill out the customs form at eBay, very easy...

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@wijoco Ebay shipping labels for usps first class does prompt the customs form for some reason since last year but as long as you follow through with all the info required it should go through. I don't know if there is a problem with choosing priority? What happens if you try to choose just regular first class?

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I wonder if it could be because eBay lists Puerto Rico as both a state AND  a country......

The USPS says the standard PR address would have PR as the state, and unfortunately some customers with PR addresses list Puerto Rico as their country triggering it as an international sale.  I don't know if having PR listed as a country AND a state is intentional (?) but it certainly might be causing some confusion since it is the first field required when entering your address....

Message 15 of 19
latest reply