cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't contact seller to inquire about more economical shipping method

stefs_clothing
Adventurer

Hello, thank you for reading my post, fellow eBayers. I'm reaching out for assistance and advice. I've found an item (Buy It Now) that I wish to purchase, but the shipping methods provided in the listing don't offer the most economical options available. The item is a very lightweight blazer manufactured by a company that I'm extremely familiar with, and is very similiar to a blazer of the same manufacturer that I own, just in a different color and slightly different cut. The options provided in the listing are USPS Parcel Select Ground ($9.14 to my destination) and USPS Priority ($10.55). The item in question is definitely under 1lb in weight, so could be shipped using USPS First Class. The description says the seller ships lightweight items USPS First Class, so it's strange that the option isn't available. 

I attempted to message the seller to inquire about the shipping (perhaps they chose the wrong one...I'm a seller as well and make mistakes, it happens). But, I get this when trying to use the message system on eBay through the listing:

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing. 

I attempted to message them right from their profile, going around the listing itself, but I get the same message. I also thought about just claiming the item and instead of paying right away, asking for an updated invoice that includes First Class, but I would not appreciate that as a seller in this situation, so I am not going to do that. 

What are my options? I do really like the item, so should I just pay for the more expensive shipping? Or is there another method to contact the seller? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

stefs_clothing
Adventurer

Thanks everyone! I'll go ahead and just purchase the item with the shipping, as it doesn't seem there is a way to contact them to confirm the shipping wasn't listed in error. I appreciate everyone's time! 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

The blazer can't weigh much less than a pound (if it does it must be very, very thin), and once it's boxed it will definitely weigh over a pound. Shipping weight includes the weight of the box and other included packaging.  Shipping costs also include the cost of packaging materials such as boxes, mailers, etc. Shipping costs aren't just postage.

The seller has the shipping cost listed. You can either buy and pay, or find a seller with a shipping cost you are willing to pay.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Your options are to pay for the shipping method the seller has selected or not make the purchase.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Move on to a different seller
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

HI, if you include the packaging, sellers handling time, etc....i dont' think those shipping charges are overly steep. however, those are the shipping methods that the seller offers & if you think that the shipping is too hi & your inquiry goes unanswered, move on to another seller. easy...peasy.  GOOD LUCK!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@stefs_clothing wrote:

Hello, thank you for reading my post, fellow eBayers. I'm reaching out for assistance and advice. I've found an item (Buy It Now) that I wish to purchase, but the shipping methods provided in the listing don't offer the most economical options available....

The shipping is the shipping. If you don't like the total price, find another seller. Many sellers will block you from purchasing just for asking such a question.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I have certain items like silk,  that I only ship Priority.   I want the handling,  shipping time and insurance that Priority offers.  

Those are not bad shipping costs.    

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

stefs_clothing
Adventurer

Thanks everyone! I'll go ahead and just purchase the item with the shipping, as it doesn't seem there is a way to contact them to confirm the shipping wasn't listed in error. I appreciate everyone's time! 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

i would never pay for an  item that i didnt feel the worth, especially in the shipping when you are a seller and you know the cost. if they are not replyng to your message, then it is their loss on a good sale!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

It's not that they aren't replying, it's that I can't message them in the first place to confirm. I went ahead and purchased the item. Even with the shipping seeming excessive for the item, the overall cost is reasonable enough. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

well some people are always shipping express i dont need that i want the slow shipping it is much cheaper.this is just a way for them to make more money.
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for replying! Yes I have seen some listings that only offer Express for shipping. 

In this case, the one I originally posted about, the seller only offered Priority and Parcel. I paid for Priority as Parcel can be so slow and she lives across the country from me. Well, she ended up sending it First Class, which is NOT okay. She ended up refunding me for the difference in shipping cost, so it worked out in the end, and maybe she learned something in the process, but I won't buy from her again if I have this same suspicion. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

How does the seller make more money shipping express when they have to pay express shipping rates?

In addition, they take a bigger 10% eBay FVF hit on the increased shipping cost.

You need to think about that some more 🙂
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

It shouldn't really matter whether the seller overcharges on shipping as long as the total is acceptable and they ship with the method they advertised. The fact that they either put more profit in shipping OR overpay the USPS is really not your concern. Yours is to accept the listing the way it is and buy the item if it is a good choice.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. This thread is a bit old, and it's resolved. You can catch up on how it unfolded in the previous comments.

There's no need for anyone else to chime in at this point. Thanks for reading! 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply