cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an Ebay rep help - shipping label glitch?

brian@ebay

tyler@ebay

There was another thread on this last week but no answer/resolution.  Could someone check on it please?

When I list my items, for virtually all of them, at the time of listing, I choose first class USPS and the price is same for all buyers.  Pictures below show listing, which has flat standard shipping of 3.99 for all and then print label screen shows how Ebay changes that when I go in to print. 🙄

Up until the middle of last week...All these many YEARS up til last week, when I clicked on ship item, the shipping method was the same as I designated when listing.  I didn't have to make sure the shipping method was chosen that I had chosen during listing.    NOW it defaults to priority or fed ex - much more expensive.   I just ended up paying more than needed to ship a package because I didn't realize it was set at Priority...

Can you please get this issue to the proper tech team so they can fix it? 

If it's on purpose, it is just making more steps- 1 more thing to proof check & change!!!  Which I would venture to guess, most sellers don't need - I know I don't!   sighhhh

Screenshot (89)_LI.jpgScreenshot (88)_LI.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Can an Ebay rep help - shipping label glitch?

Just now I go to print a first class package for a 3 oz item and Fed Ex 2 day was auto selected for over $12 shipping.   

I have no idea of the rhyme or reason as to how it selects Fed Ex 2 day or Priority on my items that all have 1st class selected when I list them, w/a flat cost for all buyers.  

This is frustrating and ridiculous.  🤨🙄

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@lionb8 wrote:

brian@ebay

tyler@ebay

[...]

I didn't have to make sure the shipping method was chosen that I had chosen during listing.    NOW it defaults to priority or fed ex - much more expensive.  

Just to clarify: your buyer didn't do a multiple purchase that could have pushed the total weight above 15.999 ounces, right? I see your declared weight of 4 ounces for this one, which looks good.

The only thing that slightly troubles me is your declared package size of 1"x1"x1". eBay's Shipping form coding is... delicate, let's say, and might be making wrong decisions based on the numbers that it's seeing for the shipment. That 1"x1"x1" should not do any harm, and probably doesn't matter, but I'd still like to see real values getting plugged in at listing time (I assume you'd have a good idea of what package you'll likely be using for it), if only to rule that out as a source of the problem you have to report now. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

First, if the $3.99 is a flat rate, that's what all buyers pay for 4 oz. First Class postage, which depending upon what zone their in, could be more or could be less. So your good there. 

When you go to the label page, eBay is going to default to their preferred shipping method, Priority. They started doing this just lately to "encourage " sellers to use a faster service due to the delays that are occurring with USPS these days.

Always check everything on the label before you buy, it will not default to what you put in the listing.  I always list Economy shipping in my listings, and it still defaults to Priority. You really have to watch out on eBay, they change things all the time without telling their customers.

So, you're saying that they purposely changed this recently to default to a higher shipping rate, and I say 'A' higher rate because it is not consistent; sometimes defaults to priority and sometimes to Fed Ex 2 day, no matter what shipping the seller designates?

Because, literally for years and years that I've been selling, when going to print label screen, the default shipping selected was the one I designated when I listed the item.

I usually read updates and didn't see one about this?

Thank you for replying.  🙂

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Nope, it was not above 15.999 oz.   

The size isn't the problem either.   Up until mid last week,  it was defaulting to the carrier/class that I designated when I listed the item and all those items on the print label sheet were the same as they are now.  

Thank you for weighing in.  🙂

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I literally just heard about this issue a few minutes ago from an eBay seller who does YT videos. The seller thought it was a glitch but based on what you are saying eBay purposely started to do this recently because of the issue with USPS.

eBay should have given sellers a heads up. Sellers having to pay extra money out of their own pockets to ship an item will cut into the sellers' profits, not eBay's. I'm glad this issue was brought to my attention so I can double-check before printing a shipping label on eBay that it is actually what the buyer selected and not what eBay selected.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@bargainnation wrote:

I literally just heard about this issue a few minutes ago from an eBay seller who does YT videos. The seller thought it was a glitch but based on what you are saying eBay purposely started to do this recently because of the issue with USPS.

I know eBay has been campaigning hard to get sellers to upgrade from First Class Package to Priority on that basis, although I have yet to see that occur in any of my shipments, and practically all of mine are FCP.

I do offer Priority as an upgrade (the default FCP is Free Shipping paid by me; the Priority upgrade would be paid by the buyer), but my buyers rarely upgrade to Priority, and eBay has never bumped the shipment up to that themselves.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

That happened to me several times. Buyer selected first class and I did, also. It changed to Fed Ex from $3.49 to $8. I thought I hit the wrong keys or something. So by reading your post I see what is happening now.  thank you, I thought I was messing up, but not.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@paulibeverlyhills  This thread is over a year old.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply