cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I vent just a little?

I sold a new with tags,  Diane Von Furstenburg silk dress.  As I often do before listing,  I search Ebay to see if there are other identical or close to items running.   I like to see other selllers perspective on an item.   Another seller had an identical dress that they listed MSRP $345,  and that it had a missing sash.   I wasn't aware that the sash was missing on this dress, but they were identical in pictures so I was glad to get this information and to include it in my description. 

Otherwise,  it was a stunning dress.   The other seller had hers listed for $65.   I listed mine for $50.00.   It had been up for awhile when a buyer offered $30.00.   I relunctantly took the offer,  but I'm from the old school opinion of,  a bird in hand is worth three in the bush.

I ship the dress,  and yesterday she writes me with several issues .   She said the hem had been altered.  She said several of the snaps at the bodice were loose,  and that it had a huge snag.   I go over my items with a fine tooth comb and I knew this was wrong,  but I will not argue.   I just said,   I am sorry to hear this.   I told her to send a return request and ship it back.

She comes back with she wants to get a reduced rate.   She wants to keep it for $10.   I say I cannot do that.   I tell her I will accept $20 and she can keep the dress.   She then says,  well negative feedback is on it's way!   She went on to say why did I have a $345 dress for sale for $50?  Why did I accept $30?   I explained how that I had researched the dress and I knew the sash was missing and plainly stated that in the description.   Her messages became increasing mean. 

I told her I had done all I could do in the matter and why would she threaten me with a negative?  She kept saying stuff like I should check my items and not send out stuff with so many flaws.    I asked her why she wanted to keep the dress if it indeed had so many flaws?

I began to check her out and saw she too was a seller and had several dresses listed.  It hit me  what she was doing.    She had bought this DVF dress, new with tags at a huge bargain.   It was also free shipping.  She then contacted me with a litany of flaws.   She offers to keep the dress for a pittance,   because she wants to resell it.    I was stunned.    So I wrote her telling her what my suspicions were.   Of course she denied it and again was hateful saying I just sent out bad items.     Again,  I said  send a return request, send the dress back for a refund.   Finally,  hours after all this started,  she did send the request and I accepted it.   I think she realized I was on to her scheme and if indeed she tried to list the dress I would know. 

I shudder to think the condition this dress will return in.   So far she's not left a negative for me.  If she does,  I will have to live with it.  So is the life of an Ebay seller.   :)Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Can I vent just a little?

@crossra wrote:

Maybe it is or maybe it isnt I give great customer service to my buyers, I try to work with the buyers, for a resolution, but if they say it was broken or damaged after It left my hands after I know I went the extra mile, and I do to make sure that it is packed extremly well then it falls within the post offices handling of that package and I do agree on one thing you said and that is to file the case and have the money sent to them but they have to present proof that it was damaged. That is why I started taking pictures of the way I package my shipments because I have had to use them as proof that it was in fact the way the package was handled after it has left my hands.

No.

Taking pictures will do nothing. At least from eBay's point of view.

You don't have to agree or disagree- it is eBay's MBG and SNAD policies. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

This is what I have started doing. Take pictures of everything. Everything. So many try to screw others over on here now that basically the buyer is always right. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@njjcrewshellfish wrote:

This is what I have started doing. Take pictures of everything. Everything. So many try to screw others over on here now that basically the buyer is always right. 

No.

It does nothing for you. Neither eBay or PayPal will accept your pictures of "proof" of anything.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Pictures and perhaps a video of the packaging process showing the item being wrapped, boxed and postage applied.

I do that for all of my auctions, so there's absolutely no disputing what was sold, the manner in which it was shipped and to whom the item was destined.

Though Ebay favors the buyer, as long as you follow the rules for seller protection, you should be fine. Although it may be quite the circus to be kept whole at the end of it all.

Good luck!

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@odac_inc wrote:

Pictures and perhaps a video of the packaging process showing the item being wrapped, boxed and postage applied.

I do that for all of my auctions, so there's absolutely no disputing what was sold, the manner in which it was shipped and to whom the item was destined.

Though Ebay favors the buyer, as long as you follow the rules for seller protection, you should be fine. Although it may be quite the circus to be kept whole at the end of it all.

Good luck!

You can take all the videos you want and they will not help you in the least.

To the OP, I probably wouldn't have called the "buyer" out, I would have just left it at.... Return for refund.  If the price on the item was that good, she probably won't return it anyway.  If she does, it won't be what you sent her and there is nothing you can really do about it except report.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Your partial refund bug is not too smart doing the feedback extortion thing along with the bullying for a better price. Contact Ebay with the message about threatening bad feedback if you do not do what they want. Slam dunk win.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@odac_inc wrote:

Good luck!

Why do sellers continue to perpetuate this fairytale? 

Videos, pictures, homemade movies, audio tapes, are NOT used in any seller protection.

It may work as a "psych out" to tell a newbie buyer you have a video of yourself packing their item to avoid a false SNAD- but if a buyer knows how eBay MGB actually works they will ignore your video and so will eBay.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

You can stop doing that.

No one, ebay, paypal, PO, UPS, the police...absolutely no one will accpet your videos or pictures as any kind of "evidence" of anything other than that the camera used to take the pictures works.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Here is an easy answer for you and others. She threatened you which is a no no with Ebay. Report her to Ebay as she will be investigated and likely removed as she could have a pattern to her behavior. I wish many sellers would report buyers more often to protect other sellers.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply