cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I turn off flat rate envelope as a shipping method?

My sold items that are obviously too large to ship in flat rate envelopes keep allowing that shipping option and charging my buyers the $7.40 rate. I am eating the overage in shipping constantly. Is there any way to turn off that option? Or am I choosing something wrong on my listings? I usually mark it for economy shipping but ship Priority if it's feasible. I just don't understand how something I'm listing with a box size of 12x12x8 would even allow them to chose the flat rate envelope.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I turn off flat rate envelope as a shipping method?

eBay has decided to phase out access to Parcel Select Ground labels, even though USPS has made no changes in their services or policies, and it's offered by all other online postage sellers including PayPal, endicia, stamps.com, etc. When it's not offered, the shipping label page usually defaults to the first option on the list which is flat rate envelope. But that does NOT mean that's what your buyer paid for. Your listings are showing (and charging for) Parcel Select Ground, not the FRE.

You can purchase Parcel Select Ground postage through PayPal at

www.PayPal.com/shipnow

But do compare prices before you do that. For Zones 1 - 4, the USPS online price for Priority Mail is  less than a dollar more than Parcel Select Ground. If you're a TRS you get a 3% discount when purchasing Priority labels through eBay, which often makes it cheaper than Parcel Select. Plus free insurance and maybe a box.

IMHO Parcel Select ground should only be offered when necessary such as for hazmat or Oversize packages (i.e., length-plus-girth above the Priority limit of 108 inches).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay has decided to phase out access to Parcel Select Ground labels, even though USPS has made no changes in their services or policies, and it's offered by all other online postage sellers including PayPal, endicia, stamps.com, etc. When it's not offered, the shipping label page usually defaults to the first option on the list which is flat rate envelope. But that does NOT mean that's what your buyer paid for. Your listings are showing (and charging for) Parcel Select Ground, not the FRE.

You can purchase Parcel Select Ground postage through PayPal at

www.PayPal.com/shipnow

But do compare prices before you do that. For Zones 1 - 4, the USPS online price for Priority Mail is  less than a dollar more than Parcel Select Ground. If you're a TRS you get a 3% discount when purchasing Priority labels through eBay, which often makes it cheaper than Parcel Select. Plus free insurance and maybe a box.

IMHO Parcel Select ground should only be offered when necessary such as for hazmat or Oversize packages (i.e., length-plus-girth above the Priority limit of 108 inches).

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ha, ha now I just feel stupid. I've been selling for 15 years on ebay and in my irritation of all my sales showing up this way lately I never thought to look up on the page and just check what they did pay.  I don't know if I'm just old or tired but it seems to me in the past it showed the rate that the box size and weight actually qualified to be mailed. I do pick the Priority even when the buyer choses economy because of the free insurance and boxes.

Thanks for getting my head back into the game lol

K

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Excellent point.

I have found that Parcel Select is usually the same or more expensive and 3 times slower than Priority for what I am shipping. Parcel has $0 insurance and Priority has $100 (for me) out the gate.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I too have no option other than "envelope" when I am shipping a package.  No matter what I do I cannot get it to choose a regular ground shipping parcel.   Even though I update the box dimensions.  I think I am underpaying by allowing eBay to force me to buy a "envelope label for my large box and concerned my box weil come back as underpaid or charge my recipient for the under payment. 

Tom

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

you are not "forced"

click on compare all services for other shipping options.

Do not ship with the "default" eBay selection of flat rate envelope.

compare.jpg

Message 6 of 6
latest reply