cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer said product was damaged when its not

Hello, So I had a buyer put that one of the items I sell was defective, After contacting him he said there was nothing wrong with it that he just didnt like it and didnt want to have to pay to return the item so he put it was defective. I contacted ebay support and the rep read the messages and agreeded with me that it was buyers remose, she told me to inform the customer that he can return the item but at his cost and that if nothing happens I can ask ebay to step in after a few days. So I messaged the buyer and informed him that he would have to pay for shipping back, he agreed that was ok but he couldnt create a label since he already started a return, I informed him he would have to contact ebay for the return label, after that message I never heard back. I got a email letting me know that there was no resolution on the case so I chose the "Let ebay step in" as the rep I spoke to said she noted the account and reasured me that they will read the messages and see that this is a buyers remose case, well I get an email about an hour later saying that they asked the buyer to return the item and that once the item shows delivered they will debit my paypal the cost of the item plus shipping. **bleep** is this? The buyer cleary admited nothing is wrong with the item and even said he would pay for the return shipping, The ebay rep on the phone agreed it was buyers remorse and yet ebay closes the case in his favor. Is there anything I can do to reverse this decision? I just dont think its fair that the buyer clearly says nothing is wrong and he said it was defected to avoid paying the return shipping and yet im getting stuck with it anyways. Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer said product was damaged when its not

Never believe what EBay customer service says to you. They are known to lie. Their job is to get you off the phone so they will tell you anything to do that, true or not.

Never pick let EBay step in. They want you to work things out with the buyer yourself. 

You are probably stuck with this now.  Next time come here to the forums before you do ANYTHING. Right now EBay seems to take any return for not as described even with evidence that it's a buyer's remorse return. Obviously your buyer has figured this out.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You can file an appeal with eBay for the cost of the return label. Wait for the buyer to return the item then call and ask for the appeals department before you refund.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The decision can’t be reversed. eBay is no longer closing returns in the sellers favor, you should have been instructed to accept the return and then file an appeal when the item was returned, in order to get the return shipping cost refunded. It appears eBay is prepping for site-wide free returns. They are keeping silent but obviously a big change is coming.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

When EBay told you "once the item shows delivered they will debit my paypal the cost of the item plus shipping."  Are they talking about the original shipping paid to send the item to the buyer?

--Please don't shoot the messenger--
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I just had this happen too.  The customer service people say anything they can to make me feel better.  An hour later I get notice that the buyer is getting their way.  My buyer did not even open the box!  They just wanted to send it back for a refund without even looking at it.  Buyer’s remorse, open and closed case.  I am furious.  I gave them free shipping and NOW I have to pay return shipping AND give a refund??????  I will end up being out like twenty bucks which was half the cost of the item.  It will have cost me twenty dollars to lose a sale.  Ebay sucks.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply